Toast Cam Guthrie

He's also Cams brother and im not entirely sure but I believe they even have the same parents.

And I believe they also share siblings by the name of Josh and Ben

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah that's one of the things I really love about Guthrie - he doesn't have the natural talent of Menzel or Caddy IMO, but has obviously just worked bloody hard to get better every year. He reminds me a little bit of Enright and Ling in that regard.

IMO Guthrie has a lot more natural talent than Caddy.

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
He was Robbo's Monday Hero on AFL 360 tonight.
Re: his brother, I think Sheehan on TAC future stars said keep an eye out for him.

Loved the wrap Robbo gave him on 360 tonight, fantastic to see he is starting to get the recognition he deserves.

Loved the wrap Robbo gave him on 360 tonight, fantastic to see he is starting to get the recognition he deserves.
A number of us have loved him for a long time.

Whatever job he is asked to do, he just gets it done.

He's ahead of Duncan now - and Duncan was playing some pretty damn good footy at this stage last season.

Has been my favourite young player since his debut. Love the fend offs, love the run.

A number of us have loved him for a long time.

Whatever job he is asked to do, he just gets it done.

Yep, have rated him A grade for well over 12 months now:thumbsu::thumbsu:

He's ahead of Duncan now - and Duncan was playing some pretty damn good footy at this stage last season.

Has been my favourite young player since his debut. Love the fend offs, love the run.
and he has obviously worked very hard on his fitness level - he has quite a tank. It's noticeable across the board that the team are running out games very well. The last 10 minutes against Adelaide a good example of that.

Hopefully he is more successful than his doppelganger
images (58).jpg

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah that's one of the things I really love about Guthrie - he doesn't have the natural talent of Menzel or Caddy IMO, but has obviously just worked bloody hard to get better every year. He reminds me a little bit of Enright and Ling in that regard.

Funny how we see things. I see Guthrie as every bit as talented as Menzel, and more talented than Caddy.

Funny how we see things. I see Guthrie as every bit as talented as Menzel, and more talented than Caddy.
I agree.

However that is not to say Caddy isn't a good footballer.

If the AA squad was named tomorrow, I would expect all of Danger, Selwood, Motlop, Enright, Taylor and Guthrie to be in it.

Biased or accurate?
Have not seen a heap of footy outside Geelong games, but based from what I have seen from the above listed players you may not be far off as they have been im pretty solid form so far this season.

Not sure on Taylor though - has been very solid without being exceptional.

ekel92

Senior List
Mar 7, 2010
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
If the AA squad was named tomorrow, I would expect all of Danger, Selwood, Motlop, Enright, Taylor and Guthrie to be in it.

Biased or accurate?
I wouldn't have Enright or Taylor in my final AA team atm. But both a look in for the squad. The other four Yes!

Hendo is there about also

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Hendo is there about also

If his form holds up, I agree he'll be a chance.

Not bad for a bloke that some told us was surplus to requirements and basically a 'good ordinary player'.

His acquisition looks a better deal with every passing week.

Like the other two trades who've debuted thus far, he simply seems to be loving life playing in the hoops.

If Scooter gets out there and comes good, we have seriously pulled off the greatest single season recruiting coup of the modern era.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
For me, Cam Guthrie is just about "Exhibit A' for everything that is good about the drafting and development strategy down at the Cattery.

Came in as something of a 'Wells special', despite a relatively early placement in his draft year. Not really trumpeted by the supposed draft intelligentsia before (or after) being picked up.

Immediately showed signs (first at VFL level and then in the seniors) that he was a pure footballer, with an ability to read the game well and execute the skills required under pressure. This is the true mastery of Wells' best drafting for me.

Also ticked the box of being a person of character, which is always pleasing to see.

His development than followed a measured and steady progression as his body matured and he was given increasing responsbility within the team. From his earliest days minding a dangerous opponent on the backline moving through to an expanding role in the midfield, the deftness of his touch and his ability to find space and time when both seemed in short supply were clear indications of his ability to match it with some of the best at the Cats and beyond.

As his endurance and strength has progressed through each year on the list, we've seen more and more of his undoubted ability showcased at more and more key moments in games.

Friday was a breakout game for sure. But it's been coming for some time based on his arc of improvement.

Has always looked like he could be a really good footballer. But credit to him for truly applying himself in the Geelong system and reaping the rewards for the hard work he has clearly put in. His strength in the contest is really building and significantly aids his ability to effectively play so many different roles within the team.

It was hard to imagine that the previous #29 would not cast a giant shadow over that number for years and years to come. While Guth is no Gaz, he is certainly making people sit up and take notice of that illustrious number once again.

Some of us here are probably enjoying watching his development almost as much as one S. Wells.

And when you think that it was his connections that got out latest B&F winner down to the club, you just marvel at how it's all worked out up till now.

While we keep drafting and developing players of Cam's calibre, the GFC's future is tracking along just fine.

And, while they're 'different' players, I see Lang as another pure footballer who could follow the Guthrie trajectory. A talented player (who was not rated stratospherically by those 'in the know') but whose skills, creativity and vision could take him a long way.

Really enjoying watching us draft and develop our own to be key cogs in an improving team.

LawnMosey

Senior List
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Loved this kid from early days. Seem to remember him taking really important marks in the backline in, was it, 2012, and just having the composure to make the right decision. I remember posting after the Carji last year that his second half of the season may have been better than anyone's according to the coaches. He was outside the leaders after round 11 with less than 57 points, and ended up on 150, with 60 of those coming after round 18. Whatever was switch was flicked last year seems to have stayed flicked in 2016.

Has long been an effective inside mid, just for some reason not known for it (not sure he got huge minutes at stoppages at the start of last year). I do remember that it was his clearance from a stoppage that delivered Selwood the ball into space for the game winner against Carlton whenever that was. Just had oodles of time and strength to make the play.

Doesn't seem like the sort to let any extra attention get to him as well, which is a hugely admirable trait.

Will be top 2 in the Carji guaranteed and has a really good shot at All-Australian.

LawnMosey

Senior List
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
For me, Cam Guthrie is just about "Exhibit A' for everything that is good about the drafting and development strategy down at the Cattery.

Came in as something of a 'Wells special', despite a relatively early placement in his draft year. Not really trumpeted by the supposed draft intelligentsia before (or after) being picked up.

Immediately showed signs (first at VFL level and then in the seniors) that he was a pure footballer, with an ability to read the game well and execute the skills required under pressure. This is the true mastery of Wells' best drafting for me.

Also ticked the box of being a person of character, which is always pleasing to see.

His development than followed a measured and steady progression as his body matured and he was given increasing responsbility within the team. From his earliest days minding a dangerous opponent on the backline moving through to an expanding role in the midfield, the deftness of his touch and his ability to find space and time when both seemed in short supply were clear indications of his ability to match it with some of the best at the Cats and beyond.

As his endurance and strength has progressed through each year on the list, we've seen more and more of his undoubted ability showcased at more and more key moments in games.

Friday was a breakout game for sure. But it's been coming for some time based on his arc of improvement.

Has always looked like he could be a really good footballer. But credit to him for truly applying himself in the Geelong system and reaping the rewards for the hard work he has clearly put in. His strength in the contest is really building and significantly aids his ability to effectively play so many different roles within the team.

It was hard to imagine that the previous #29 would not cast a giant shadow over that number for years and years to come. While Guth is no Gaz, he is certainly making people sit up and take notice of that illustrious number once again.

Some of us here are probably enjoying watching his development almost as much as one S. Wells.

And when you think that it was his connections that got out latest B&F winner down to the club, you just marvel at how it's all worked out up till now.

While we keep drafting and developing players of Cam's calibre, the GFC's future is tracking along just fine.

And, while they're 'different' players, I see Lang as another pure footballer who could follow the Guthrie trajectory. A talented player (who was not rated stratospherically by those 'in the know') but whose skills, creativity and vision could take him a long way.

Really enjoying watching us draft and develop our own to be key cogs in an improving team.
This.

Replied just because I can only like your post once. My feelings exactly, well said.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Biased, Taylor wouldn't get in, Motlop would be a 50/50.

Fair enough about Taylor.

Mots was highlighted on AFL360 last night as one of only three players in the league to be averaging 20+ possessions and 2+ goals this season - the others being N. Riewoldt and Stevie J. I daresay all three would make the squad if it were named now.

LawnMosey

Senior List
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I seem to remember that there were 2 Geelong players leading the coaches votes last week, and neither of them were called Cameron...
I actually checked out Geelong's top 5 players in the AFLCA award last year to see how it lined up against the Carji, thinking they would bear no resemblance...

Top 5 for Geelong in the AFLCA:
Guthrie
Selwood/Motlop
Blicavs
Enright

Top 5 in the Carji:
Blicavs
Motlop
Selwood
Enright
Guthrie

You appear to have a valid point. Would you accept top 3?

Back