Toast Cam Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

So? You don't have to date him. Just acknowledge that despite his appearances, he is a highly valuable Cats player. Which you nearly did earlier on.
I was being facetious dubs. I conceded defeat 3 weeks ago. It's still those little things that s**t me but I'm just being picky because he knocked back my advances.

I was being facetious dubs. I conceded defeat 3 weeks ago. It's still those little things that **** me but I'm just being picky because he knocked back my advances.
We are in a great place as Cats supporters. To have Guthrie and Menegola as bottom 6 players, according to many here, means we are very deep.

I don't like Guthrie. He's feminine looking and it's ****'s me. That's my point.
At least you admit it. I'm guessing this is the real reason he is a whipping boy. He looks feminine and thus we subconsciously associate this with soft football and then think Guthrie is a soft footballer. He is a defensive player first and a great tackler. Nothing soft.

This makes for good reading & if he didn't chase hard enough at one stage, then he surely made up for it across the rest of the match:

If you want to play for the Cats, you need to bring the heat.
Selwood’s absence gave Brandan Parfitt his opportunity and he compiled 70 pressure points. If that was his average, it would make him the No.1 pressure player in the league.
Cam Guthrie, another recent inclusion after having to earn his spot in the VFL, had 72.
The five best pressure players were Guthrie, Parfitt, Tom Atkins (59), Tim Kelly (53) and Gryan Miers (45), two of them being first-year players and Kelly a second-year player.
No surprise the Cats are the hottest team in the comp.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...7/news-story/3490ce6120abc371a1e4c27ecaddee3b

We are in a great place as Cats supporters. To have Guthrie and Menegola as bottom 6 players, according to many here, means we are very deep.

Would you actually call Guthrie bottom six?? He hasn’t played like a bottom six player since coming back. 25 touches and a goal and He has been racking up 20+ touches each week,doing a good clean job around the stoppages. His decision making skills have been good also

I think he is an instant selection each week.
What he allows like we saw today is to take dangerfield or selwood our of the middle and utilize them elsewhere.

He has been a strong addition to our side since coming back.

No selwood and dangerfield in the middle today and he stepped up to fill that void. He is a very big part of our team structure.

Ps.... HE IS A MIDFIELDER... NOT A DEFENDER!!

Would you actually call Guthrie bottom six?? He hasn’t played like a bottom six player since coming back. 25 touches and a goal and He has been racking up 20+ touches each week,doing a good clean job around the stoppages. His decision making skills have been good also

I think he is an instant selection each week.
What he allows like we saw today is to take dangerfield or selwood our of the middle and utilize them elsewhere.

He has been a strong addition to our side since coming back.

No selwood and dangerfield in the middle today and he stepped up to fill that void. He is a very big part of our team structure.

Ps.... HE IS A MIDFIELDER... NOT A DEFENDER!!
Well you know MY opinion, top 12, instant selection every week, like you.
I have always rated him.
I have been amazed at the negativism about him.
Had he not been injured he would have been in the 22 v Pies. End of story. That extra period of waiting created a viral anti Guthrie spew of posts. Glad that's been put to bed now.

Don't underestimate how he's played 2 games as a genuine centre square mid but against West coast because Constable and Selwood were in there he shifted much more outside playing off a wing and half back for big chunks. He'll likely be our go to tagger when someone needs shutting down too. That versatility would likely get him a game even if he was a bit down on form. In current form he clearly makes us a much better team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you know MY opinion, top 12, instant selection every week, like you.
I have always rated him.
I have been amazed at the negativism about him.
Had he not been injured he would have been in the 22 v Pies. End of story. That extra period of waiting created a viral anti Guthrie spew of posts. Glad that's been put to bed now.

Been a very important piece of our group. He is excellent around stoppages and breaking the lines with run and carry. He has made a significant difference to our side since coming back.

Vdubs let’s also remember that most of our supporters if you look over our losses don’t really analyze things from a holistic perspective... they look for individuals to blame for outcomes. Guthrie just happens to have been a convenient one to blame.

I can guarantee at no point did those who have quality knowledge of our football side ever look to point a finger at Guthrie for outcomes.

He was terrible last year but has been really good this season. He looks so much better as a midfielder IMO.

This is the biggest thing tbh. Just like when Blics had an average period when playing no specific role, Guth was very average when shifted between defence, forward and some fleeting time in the middle.

And just like How Blics has flourished when given a role to own down back, Guth is also playing much better footy.

Basically comes down to the willingness of the coaches to spread the midfield load, moving Ablett forward, giving Selwood some time on the wing. Has allowed Guth, as well as parfitt, constable, menengola etc to play more where is suited to them.

Yeah I wondered wtf was going on there. Neither he nor Smith (nor the other Geelong player) broke out of a trot.

Seemed to me it was a poor attempt at "corralling" to keep Smith on his left...

Easily addressed and shouldn't detract from Guthrie's overall performance.

The criticism of Zuthrie seems a little over the top for me...he's going to be a good player for us....was ok yesterday .. a little patience Cat fans,,,,

Seemed to me it was a poor attempt at "corralling" to keep Smith on his left...

Easily addressed and shouldn't detract from Guthrie's overall performance.

The criticism of Zuthrie seems a little over the top for me...he's going to be a good player for us....was ok yesterday .. a little patience Cat fans
That, or whether there was some confusion over who needed to take Smith and who needed to go at the Bomber who was running in support.

Completely agree about Zuthrie. Ideally, with his body shape, he'd have debuted this year, but for depth issues over the last two. People have a really irrational hatred of the Guthries here.

Please stop finding excuses for players. He refused to chase hard. Nothing more nothing less.

Overall he was good but that's been my gripe all along with him.

And watch his brother again ... he ball watches, is slow, plays with no intensity, has no peripheral vision, panics with ball in hand and has no awareness. He's the definition of a list clogger.

Cams playing like someone who's been give a rocket and has responded positively,keep him out of the backline and he's best 22 in this form,8 out of 10 from me on yesterdays game,his first 5 minutes were sensational.
This is how you adjust your view based on new information. Kudos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back