Toast Cam Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

In past years, the two things that I have not liked about Guthrie were:

1. His lack of consistency game to game. He could play the occasional blinder, but his output from week to week was very inconsistent.

2. His tendency to fumble. Under heat, Guthrie would too often 2-3 grab the ball and get caught HTB, or turn the ball over.

I have not seen those things in 2020 thus far, so I tip my hat to him and hope it holds through to late October. From hearing him speak, it seems that it has been an attitudinal/psychological change rather than a sudden increase in skill.

Have Geelong changed something along these lines in terms of psychological/motivational staff or programs? I'd be interested to know.

Four of the most maligned individuals at the Club are proving the doubters wrong - Cam Guthrie, Sam Menegola, Rhys Stanley and of course, Chris Scott
I will remain patient about Bews, Blicavs, and Kolo getting similar kudos.

I will remain patient about Bews, Blicavs, and Kolo getting similar kudos.

You'll be waiting a while for Kolo. Blics has always been like until finals when he gets personally blamed for anything and everything that goes wrong.

Parfitt's the one who's surprised me. Named by Chris Scott after the game on Sunday as one of 3 guys (along with Guthrie and Menegola) who've stood up in midfield and allowed us to rely less on Selwood and Dangerfield yet plenty want him dropped and say he's been disappointing. From my vantage point he's playing a pretty key role for us.

You'll be waiting a while for Kolo. Blics has always been like until finals when he gets personally blamed for anything and everything that goes wrong.

Parfitt's the one who's surprised me. Named by Chris Scott after the game on Sunday as one of 3 guys (along with Guthrie and Menegola) who've stood up in midfield and allowed us to rely less on Selwood and Dangerfield yet plenty want him dropped and say he's been disappointing. From my vantage point he's playing a pretty key role for us.
Parfitt is a good player. We can't expect 10/10 games from him yet, but imho, def best 22 easily. We are more balanced and complete with him in.

Parfitt is a good player. We can't expect 10/10 games from him yet, but imho, def best 22 easily. We are more balanced and complete with him in.

Yeah he's not getting an AA jumper or anything but he's playing an important role in our best 22. On Sunday he had 23 touches and the equal most score involvements on the ground with 8 yet multiple people had him in our worst 5. I thought at half time he and Guthrie were basically keeping us in it.

Yeah he's not getting an AA jumper or anything but he's playing an important role in our best 22. On Sunday he had 23 touches and the equal most score involvements on the ground with 8 yet multiple people had him in our worst 5. I thought at half time he and Guthrie were basically keeping us in it.
Some seem to focus more on the 2 holding the ball decisions against him, either forgetting the positives or lessening their value due to the errors

Some seem to focus more on the 2 holding the ball decisions against him, either forgetting the positives or lessening their value due to the errors
Some people seem to intently look for those types of errors then jump on them; as you say they ignore anything good. Have seen it over the years with Blicavs, Bews, Guthrie, the list goes on.
I fear Parfitt (and Sav) is the new recipient of this.

Yeah it was rather odd to say he was bottom 5. Getting caught htb happens. It doesn’t take away from the rest of the game he had.

Parfitt has been fantastic as a defensive midfielder, personally I'm not confident when he has the ball in his hands though... seems to take too long looking for the perfect option a little too much.
Dropping him would be foolish though, as you say he's playing a key role and one we cannot replace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This came up in my feed today. Progression's been perhaps a bit more stop/start than we'd have all liked, but he's been solid right through and is really starting to shine this season.

CamGuthrie.png

Was just telling my 9 and 11 year old boys that Cam Guthrie was likely to make the all Australian team this year. One of them laughed and said “I thought his first name was Jesus as every time we heard you watching the footy you’d shout out “Jesus Guthrie!””

Remove this Banner Ad

Back