News Cam McCarthy to the Pies?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are saying its all been due to epilepsy, when he had also links with depression and off field habits at both clubs.
I said nothing of the sort.

These are the facts we are aware of, the rest is, as you say, “linked to” and innuendo.

There seem to be two sides to this discussion; those who think due diligence is required to gain more information to make an informed decision, and those who don’t want any more information as they’ve made up their minds already.

190 or 193cm is really neither here nor there when we are talking how they play and their roles.

McCarthy is not a KPF nor has he played like one, he was good as a lead up target in his 2nd year, with GWS mids lace out passing to him playing a very attacking and attractive brand of footy.

Ruscoe will be what we are going to get from McCarthy in fact I'd argue Ruscoe's ground game looks vastly superior to McCarthy who looks a bit one trick pony.

I disagree, McCarthy is a key forward. He's a strong lead and a strong mark and plays tall enough. I couldn't care less about a missing inch. Doesn't mean we should recruit him btw but reckon its being misapplied to argue against the idea.

Thanks TD. Three blokes having a chat - one says he would go to the Pies if he had a choice.

If this means McCarthy is going to Collingwood, then Charlize Theron is in for a big surprise when lockdown finishes. ;)

Hmmmm, she's going to be busy, I might have to visit Kate Beckinsale before Charlize....

Not sure about McCarthy, but our recent record with allocating list spots seems to indicate that we dont regard them as especially precious. Without going over it again and again, we’ve maintained plenty of guys on our list who don’t contribute, for a whole range of reasons. On that basis, why not give a spot to someone who is a recognised talent and wants to come to us. Do the due dilligence, see where he's at in his head and body, put him on a low(ish) salary and a short contract, and press go.

I said nothing of the sort.

These are the facts we are aware of, the rest is, as you say, “linked to” and innuendo.

There seem to be two sides to this discussion; those who think due diligence is required to gain more information to make an informed decision, and those who don’t want any more information as they’ve made up their minds already.

If you read all my posts on McCarthy you would note i have not outright dismissed him rather said, due to risks i hope its cheap if they do their due dilligence on him and go that way.

I did however dismiss him due to prefering Hogan as the risk given he is a better player and a genuine kpf. Of which i dont see McCarthy as a main man who hits packs, takes contested grabs and can carry a fwd line capable of kicking 50+.
He like space and is a lead and mark type which we have a lot of similar types.

Without doing an ounce of research, all of Adams, Treloar and WHE would've been on the Giants list at the same time as McCarthy, wouldn't they? They'd know a bit about him as a person and player.

He is not capable of carrying a fwd line as the main man regardless of his mental or physical state.
As a cheap option to overall improve it sure by all means look into him but those hoping he's the answer ....look elsewhere.

He looks shot, maybe if he took the rest of the year off to mentally and physically freshen up he could have a resurgence but its a long shot. Also he is not really a contested fwd loves his space to lead into.

If was more of a tongue-in-cheek / sarcastic comment than a realistic notion of Tex playing football anywhere next year, never mind at Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 pages of blah blah blah when rookie list or avoid like a plague would have sufficed.
True, but while u are here
, what’s your take

personally, I would take the punt. He has big upside on a rookie/minimum salary.

As plenty have mentioned, he is not the type of forward we necessarily need, but if he shows the talent he did at GWS, combined with a desperation of an AFL career slipping away - then we could have a player.

However, I suspect it won't happen, Bucks will call JL, who will tell him that McCarthy is not up to it, lazy and uncommitted.

The link should play from the correct time.

Hmm, all he really says is that it’d be cool to play for Collingwood. And sounds like he always would’ve been keen on the idea. Not sure this is much different from all state league players saying they’d love to play AFL if they ever got a chance

the reality is we are all making comment without full information. obviously the club will do their due diligence and assess his commitment and maturity.
I'm just saying, that given that all list spots take some degree of risk and reward, I'd personally decide to take a risk on the maturity of a talented player in a part of the ground we need, rather than taking players that are low reward or have high risk physically, or are a high risk being they are late picks in forthcoming drafts

the reality is we are all making comment without full information. obviously the club will do their due diligence and assess his commitment and maturity.
I'm just saying, that given that all list spots take some degree of risk and reward, I'd personally decide to take a risk on the maturity of a talented player in a part of the ground we need, rather than taking players that are low reward or have high risk physically, or are a high risk being they are late picks in forthcoming drafts

Thats essentially what forums are for, commenting on topics.

We are also making comment on his past history. If you are unable to do that , then whats the point of a forum to discuss players

Keep Ed and Dekka away from him and the discussions.
If Bucks signs off on him I'm ok with it on minimum chips with incentives.
Will be a Clokey type pick, (105 ~)

Keep Ed and Dekka away from him and the discussions.
If Bucks signs off on him I'm ok with it on minimum chips with incentives.
Will be a Clokey type pick, (105 ~)
DFA. Won’t be any type of pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back