Welcome Cam McCarthy - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

FMD the dude is 23 and is having a run of poor form, yes it's a little concerning but writing his career off at this stage is pure idiocy. It was over hyped but he has shown he can play in the past.

Heck I remember when Walters had about 3 regular posters still behind him on this board, Lach72, E Shed and myself iirc. Most other posters had written him off and some wanted to just sack him.

Yeah. We've got a lot of people out the door before Cam, BUT he needs a different program.
IMO he's too heavy, either by design or misadventure and he's lost speed and mobility.

He's shown at this weight he's incapable of winning one on one's consistently anyway so slim him down and try and get some speed and agility back.
His kicking is great. If we can get the ball into his hands 5 more times a game it'll be great

I reckon Cam is going to get the ultimatum in the near to medium future and he'll either get delisted or become awesome. Don't reckon it will fall anywhere in between. Simpson vs Sonny basically.

His problems may look physical but 100% they are mental. If he can get that right, the physical stuff will take care of itself.

I reckon Cam is going to get the ultimatum in the near to medium future and he'll either get delisted or become awesome. Don't reckon it will fall anywhere in between. Simpson vs Sonny basically.

His problems may look physical but 100% they are mental. If he can get that right, the physical stuff will take care of itself.

Well the 2 go together. If he has mentally just thought he's made it, then obviously the physical appearance will show the drop off.

Well the 2 go together. If he has mentally just thought he's made it, then obviously the physical appearance will show the drop off.
The physical drop is a good symptom of his head not being in it. Which is why I don't care about the physical stuff in itself. The mental side of high performance is by a wide margin the most difficult part and it will take how long it takes for Cam (if at all).

I think he'll get a kick in his interview this year and will get next year to sort it out. Fingers crossed he has it in him.

The physical drop is a good symptom of his head not being in it. Which is why I don't care about the physical stuff in itself. The mental side of high performance is by a wide margin the most difficult part.

I think he'll get a kick in his interview this year and will get next year to sort it out. Fingers crossed he has it in him.

Well I made the comment that he may be a 'plays well in the end of contract year'. I was alluding to the possibility he hasn't bought in fully, but when the realisation of his career being at the cross roads hits home he may pull his finger out. I just hope the club see through it and don't give him a 3 year deal if he comes good next year.

Well I made the comment that he may be a 'plays well in the end of contract year'. I was alluding to the possibility he hasn't bought in fully, but when the realisation of his career being at the cross roads hits home he may pull his finger out. I just hope the club see through it and don't give him a 3 year deal if he comes good next year.
Always that risk although I don't think you can fake a full buy-in. I'd back Ross and Fyfe to be able to tell the difference between someone faking it for the contract and someone that truly wants to get the best out of themselves.

He won't be getting big dollars regardless. Unless of course he kicks 40+ goals next year.

My gut feeling is he won't make it but that is probably Freo pessimism.

Always that risk although I don't think you can fake a full buy-in. I'd back Ross and Fyfe to be able to tell the difference between someone faking it for the contract and someone that truly wants to get the best out of themselves.

He won't be getting big dollars regardless. Unless of course he kicks 40+ goals next year.

My gut feeling is he won't make it but that is probably Freo pessimism.

I don't think he will 'fake it'. I think he'll go hard as hell... but only because his career could be on the line.
Then we offer him a 1 year extension and make sure he applies himself again.
To offer him a large extension would be foolish... that's even if he does pull his finger hard.

Numerous occasions where you see guys perform in their final year of a contract.

I don't think he will 'fake it'. I think he'll go hard as hell... but only because his career could be on the line.
Then we offer him a 1 year extension and make sure he applies himself again.
To offer him a large extension would be foolish... that's even if he does pull his finger hard.

Numerous occasions where you see guys perform in their final year of a contract.
Yeah there is that risk I suppose. Not sure Cam has that in him though. I think if he puts in he will realise how awesome he can be.

Final year players tend to be fringe types IMO. That is purely anecdotal though.

Some people just don't care about money and all that footy brings. In 15 years they may regret it but there's a lot of 23-year old men who'd prefer to be with their friends, free of the pressure, drinking piss and doing what else.

Yeah there is that risk I suppose. Not sure Cam has that in him though. I think if he puts in he will realise how awesome he can be.

Final year players tend to be fringe types IMO. That is purely anecdotal though.

Well Cam isn’t exactly a walk up best 22. Surely he gets dropped this week too with us having a few ins.

Cam is fringe. The sooner we can accept that the better.

All Cam has to do is to take about 1-2 more marks inside 50, touch it 5-10 more times, lay 1-2 more tackles inside 50, and maybe 1 more goal every two games and he'll be up there with Tabs and Cox. I think he can make it.

I cant remember the last forward I've seen play for Freo that looks so out of shape that has still managed a goal a game. His body looks like crap and he can still sneak one pretty well, thats the only thing really giving me hope at the moment.

In terms of physical or mental, I got out of my funk mentally by becoming really strong physically, so the physical could help cure the mental.

Last edited:
Well Cam isn’t exactly a walk up best 22. Surely he gets dropped this week too with us having a few ins.

Cam is fringe. The sooner we can accept that the better.
Completely incorrect IMO.

He is way more talented than fringe but doesn't get the best out of himself for whatever reason. He won't be allowed to just flounder which is why I said he'll get delisted or be awesome. Don't see an in between for Cam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I don't think we can Judge ANY forward so harshly; with the way we deliver it into the forward line. As it is now, its all about luck and winning the two on ones.

We need forward coaches to teach the players to get open, in conjunction with the mid-wing coaches on where and how to deliver.. Its simple at that.

Look, I don't think we can Judge ANY forward so harshly; with the way we deliver it into the forward line. As it is now, its all about luck and winning the two on ones.

We need forward coaches to teach the players to get open, in conjunction with the mid-wing coaches on where and how to deliver.. Its simple at that.
I have to disagree , The ball was there for Mac to get several times he just wasn't good enough to get it.And he also put No pressure on the opponent that invariably did get it.

Completely incorrect IMO.

He is way more talented than fringe but doesn't get the best out of himself for whatever reason. He won't be allowed to just flounder which is why I said he'll get delisted or be awesome. Don't see an in between for Cam.

So answer a simple question for me please.

Is there a chance he is dropped this weekend? That would be twice in the back half of this season. What would you call someone that has sat in our bottom 6 worse players pretty much all season when they’ve played?

He is currently fringe.

Obviously many guys can improve. Except for a reasonable kick please tell me what exactly gives you an idea he will be awesome?

He doesn’t clunk marks... like ever. He rarely leads up and gets hit on the lead. He applies ZERO pressure.

He’s just a good kick. So is my mate Wazza that plays ammos at Kenwick.

Is there a chance he is dropped this weekend? That would be twice in the back half of this season. What would you call someone that has sat in our bottom 6 worse players pretty much all season when they’ve played?

He is currently fringe.

Obviously many guys can improve. Except for a reasonable kick please tell me what exactly gives you an idea he will be awesome?

He doesn’t clunk marks... like ever. He rarely leads up and gets hit on the lead. He applies ZERO pressure.

I mean medium to long term he isn't fringe. Short term most developing players are fringe and wouldn't be selected on merit continuously. That doesn't mean they have no value. Cerra probably should have been dropped for DP several times this season.

I would have dropped him last week.

I get it, you hate him. I don't. I think he has serious trouble applying himself fully and may never sort that out. I am more than willing to give him plenty of looks at it.

I certainly hold fears of news coming through saying he is taking indefinite leave due to mental health concerns.

I mean medium to long term he isn't fringe. Short term most developing players are fringe and wouldn't be selected on merit continuously. That doesn't mean they have no value. Cerra probably should have been dropped for DP several times this season.

I would have dropped him last week.

I get it, you hate him. I don't. I think he has serious trouble applying himself fully and may never sort that out. I am more than willing to give him plenty of looks at it.

Don’t hate him at all. Don’t know the bloke. I’m also more than willing to give him chances. Think he’s had plenty already, but his chances now need to be earned.

My problem is more with our match committee selecting him regularly and he regularly is crap.

When was the last time you said ‘McCarthy played a good game’.

Don’t hate him at all. Don’t know the bloke. I’m also more than willing to give him chances. Think he’s had plenty already, but his chances now need to be earned.

My problem is more with our match committee selecting him regularly and he regularly is crap.

He played a few good ones early in the season. Alongside Tabs I think.

To be fair to the MC, he is the only 3rd tall we have on the list now that Kersten is a defender.

I certainly hold fears of news coming through saying he is taking indefinite leave due to mental health concerns.
Yes, I’m sadly of the same view with Cam. Hope he can get things right, but he certainly looks like someone who is really struggling mentally.

Nailing those picks is what got us over the line I think. Darcy and Ryan are damn fine players. Logue will get there, has all the tools - this year was just a write off, it happens.

McCarthy I can see retiring end of next year, or even this year. Not that it is GWS's fault, but that year off ultimately will have ruined his career.
I don't think the year off ruined his career and here is why.... He wasn't the only one that had the year off in 2016. You had those banned Essendon players tha had the year off. Those Essendon players didn't sit on the couch when they did their bans. They all hit the gym So did cam.

The Most damning thing is that Kersten might even out last him.

The only other guys that had the yea of fare also the ones that did their knee and had knee recos.

Do I want Cam to succeed? Yes I do. I want cam in the same forward lie with Apeness and Tabs next season.

From memory, round 6 he was handy and worked hard against WC and the impenetrable wall of McGovern.

The week before he had 2.3, 16 disposals, took 10 marks (and even laid a tackle!) against the dogs

Against the Suns he had 3 goals, 17 disposals and took 7 marks

Round 1 against Port he tried his guts out while we were getting flogged.

Nothing amazing, but not the stats of somebody who 'should retire or be delisted'.
Granted these weren't against great teams, but his start of the year was pretty solid.

He has ability in spades. His conditioning looks bad to us numpties but if he was slacking off, smashing burgers and punching darts throughout the week do we seriously believe Ross the Boss would be giving him charity games?

In summary, it's never as good or bad as it looks. Patience, all.

He is currently fringe.

On Form he should be dropped no doubt , And he should not come back until he shows good form at Peel , Because at this stage not sure the Peel coach would be that excited about him being in the team. I have this theory if his greatest skill is his kicking but he can't get the ball . What good is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back