Welcome Cam McCarthy - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was decent, did well. Imagine if Taberner / McCarthy / Cox get some continuity together. I wonder how many games they've played together so far? Cox is clearly cooked too now at the business end of the year and Tabs first game back.

Thought he was decent, did well. Imagine if Taberner / McCarthy / Cox get some continuity together. I wonder how many games they've played together so far? Cox is clearly cooked too now at the business end of the year and Tabs first game back.
3rd game together, they played two at the back end of last season together (the Sydney and Richmond floggings)

Structurally i didn't think we were great up forward yesterday.

Cox and Tabs played too close to each other IMO.

Think it was ultimately pretty positive though and i can see it becoming a potent forward trio into the future.
5 goals between the 3 big guys (plus two howlers from Cox, 1 shocker from Tabs and 1 shocker from Cam) is pretty handy. Going forward if we can get 6--7 goals per game from this combination plus another 4 from Matera/Walters combo then we are in good shape.

Ironically i think our biggest issue scoring is that our midfield doesn't hit the scoreboard.

Think it was ultimately pretty positive though and i can see it becoming a potent forward trio into the future.
5 goals between the 3 big guys (plus two howlers from Cox, 1 shocker from Tabs and 1 shocker from Cam) is pretty handy. Going forward if we can get 6--7 goals per game from this combination plus another 4 from Matera/Walters combo then we are in good shape.

Ironically i think our biggest issue scoring is that our midfield doesn't hit the scoreboard.
Yep agree on the proximity of Cox and Tabs. I really like the way the Eagles 'space' in the forward line even when the ball is on a particular side of the field, they maintain spacing in the forward 50. Our forwards create a clusterf**k in the most obvious drop point.

Yep agree on the proximity of Cox and Tabs. I really like the way the Eagles 'space' in the forward line even when the ball is on a particular side of the field, they maintain spacing in the forward 50. Our forwards create a clusterf**k in the most obvious drop point.
This. In Tabs, Cox, McCarthy, Walters, Matera we have enough raw talent fur a very potent forward line.
But we lack forward craft -- when and where to lead & spread the defence -- and, for some of these guys, the running power / work ethic(?).
Would love a strong forward coach. If we can work ourselves out forward of the ball we would get much more value for effort

If they played together more, they will work it out a bit better. Training is one thing, but it's different in competition, they just need some time to gel.

This. In Tabs, Cox, McCarthy, Walters, Matera we have enough raw talent fur a very potent forward line.
But we lack forward craft -- when and where to lead & spread the defence -- and, for some of these guys, the running power / work ethic(?).
Would love a strong forward coach. If we can work ourselves out forward of the ball we would get much more value for effort

Pav and Roo were scratching their heads a bit as to how we were positioning.
Get Roo over

Pretty happy with him. Once they worked out where to lead and how to take their defenders away, Mccarthy was able to get some marks and build.

Look at the other Forward pairings. Darling/Kennedy have played over 100 games together. It's obvious they have that chemistry. Cox/Tabs/Ballas together only what? 3 games? It's obvious both Cox and Mccarthy need Tabs just as much as Tabs needs them.

Excited to see what the rest of the season holds. 12 goals between them is possible. Matera/Grey into the mix. Will be alright

Pav and Roo were scratching their heads a bit as to how we were positioning.
Get Roo over
I thought Roo's commentary was great. Insightful and balanced. I did love watching him play too, despite the occasional flop. Doubt he's interested in coaching though. Media seems like an easier gig!

I feel like our midfielders get in situations where they are running inside 50 and have an opportunity to go for goal but instead choose to pass to a contest. Im not sure if this is a coaching directive to honour a forwards lead but it drives me nuts that we dont back ourselves and just take the shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like our midfielders get in situations where they are running inside 50 and have an opportunity to go for goal but instead choose to pass to a contest. Im not sure if this is a coaching directive to honour a forwards lead but it drives me nuts that we dont back ourselves and just take the shot.
Yes, I agree. We seem to have reluctance to kick at goal from 50. One example: on Sunday McCarthy took a mark about 50 and passed to a contest inside 50, which WCE rebounded. He is such a lovely long kick, you just wish he would go back and take the shot.

Good to see Dardy finding some strong form before the end of season. Can we please have him, Tabs and Cox having an uninterrupted pre-season and hitting round 1 2019 healthy please?

I have to go back and watch the replay just to make sure I did indeed see a Fremantle forward leading toward the ball carrier and being hit on the tit inside 50 several times... Cam with 4 marks inside 50! Brennan with 3. If Cox can improve his goal kicking and Tabs start clunking marks again... good times.

Don't imagine Cam's game would have surprised any within the Purple Circle.
Great for him, the club and supporters that we have Tabs back, Brennan starting to fire and Sunshine beginning to 'Do my thing man'.
Very creditable debut by Switta as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back