Cam McCarthy - What's Going On?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt can do that
He sure can, looking like a real talent. He's also played three games and still has to overcome the twin threats of another severe concussion and our ankle surgeon Dr Nick to have a career. Never fear though we'll have some real fit hard worker defensive types on the list as backup

Why would you think a player that I have listed as a former buddy is someone I'd want delisted. He is a super talent.

He's the best set shot in our team. Well, the best set shot on our list. Well, was.
Fair enough. He's a beautiful kick.

I'm just disappointed. I held out the hope he'd come good. Like I said, a waste.

He sure can, looking like a real talent. He's also played three games and still has to overcome the twin threats of another severe concussion and our ankle surgeon Dr Nick to have a career. Never fear though we'll have some real fit hard worker defensive types on the list as backup

I reckon Banfield might be a poor comparison come the end of the year, would be surprised if he passes the culling

I reckon Banfield might be a poor comparison come the end of the year, would be surprised if he passes the culling
If we have any clue he won't. The last week has shaken my faith in the certainty that we have a clue.

That there are blokes in the local park that can take marks and kick a goal like that in the AFL. There aren't many AFL players that can do it.
For every Cam McCarthy running around, there’s 2000, if not more others who for whatever reason haven’t been given the opportunity. There’s other factors that make up an AFL player & at this stage Cam doesn’t have them.

I’m fortunate enough to coach 2 older junior teams & work with development squad kids as well. Among those 100 kids there’s 5 key forwards who can do that.

If we have any clue he won't. The last week has shaken my faith in the certainty that we have a clue.
Honestly though, and I dont mean this as an insult but how can you be so sure of your opinion when you wouldnt have 10% of information others had for this decision to be made? How he trains, how he prepares, his attitude around the club. I cant think of too many footballers that played over 100 games in the last 20 years that didnt at least appear to have a high level of commitment to AFL life. Sylvia, Brennan, anyone else?

Is the whole system wrong? Maybe, are we not able to get the best out of the McCarthy's and Hogans of the word, I would say it seems like it, but I think McCarthy being delisted with his level of talent is more a reflection on him than the club.

Last edited:
We also need to factor in that the club only gave him a 1 year contract for this season. No doubt an opportunity to prove himself worthy of more. If the commitment matched the talent he would have been sitting on a 3 year contract.

Last edited:
For every Cam McCarthy running around, there’s 2000, if not more others who for whatever reason haven’t been given the opportunity. There’s other factors that make up an AFL player & at this stage Cam doesn’t have them.

I’m fortunate enough to coach 2 older junior teams & work with development squad kids as well. Among those 100 kids there’s 5 key forwards who can do that.
I agree Cam's problem is of his own making, but if you think that a less than top class footballer is doing stuff like that you're dreaming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly though, and I dont mean this as an insult but how can you be so sure of your opinion when you wouldnt have 10% of information others had for this decision to be made? How he trains, how he prepares, his attitude around the club. I cant think of too many footballers that played over 100 games in the last 20 years that didnt at least appear to have a high level of commitment to AFL life. Sylvia, Brennan, anyone else?

Is the whole system wrong? Maybe, are we not able to get the best out of the McCarthy's and Hogans of the word, I would say it seems like it, but I think McCarthy being delisted with his level of talent is more a reflection on him than us.

Think we'll agree to disagree on that. Apart from Walters, we've lost more gifted players with difficulties than we've nourished to succeed. And more than any other club I can think of.
As for the 100+ list in this century there's dozens and dozens. I pointed out fevola earlier in this thread in reply to the claim that players like McCarthy could only survive in the last century. Stringer, Toby Greene, we'd show em all the door because they have a bad attitude.

Thanks for sharing this - the lack of compassion for him blows my mind
I have epilepsy, take tegretol medication and have endured all the symptoms others have mentioned. Additionally, Cam would have lost his licence for 6 months upon receiving the diagnosis and once he regains it, will need annual medical approvals to maintain it. I can therefore empathize with those with the condition and feel saddened for Cam in this respect. Notwithstanding his current health circumstances, his lack of consistency and at times seemingly questionable choices and attitude lead me to unfortunately draw the same conclusion as the club. I truly wish Cam the very best and hope like myself he can lead a seizure free life with medication. Perhaps without the pressure of AFL he gives himself the best chance of this occuring.

Think we'll agree to disagree on that. Apart from Walters, we've lost more gifted players with difficulties than we've nourished to succeed. And more than any other club I can think of.
As for the 100+ list in this century there's dozens and dozens. I pointed out fevola earlier in this thread in reply to the claim that players like McCarthy could only survive in the last century. Stringer, Toby Greene, we'd show em all the door because they have a bad attitude.
Stringer is a good one that I hadnt thought of, I did say I agree that we arent very good at nuturing the non-committed but gifted types, Walters being the exeption like you pointed out. Does that mean I disagree we disagree? =)

I suppose the best clubs can make something out of those types so it is in part a poor reflection on us in some way

Greene strikes me as a knobhead who trains real hard - kinda the Anti-Dardy

Stringer is a good one that I hadnt thought of, I did say I agree that we arent very good at nuturing the non-committed but gifted types, Walters being the exeption like you pointed out. Does that mean I disagree we disagree? =)

I suppose the best clubs can make something out of those types so it is in part a poor reflection on us in some way

Greene strikes me as a knobhead who trains real hard - kinda the Anti-Dardy

I wonder where would Liam Ryan be if we had drafted him instead of the eagles?

Haha dont get me ******* started on that one. Told my boss Ryan would be a bust because he wouldnt be committed to an AFL lifestyle (and because he was Nyhuis' bunny), I under-estimated WC's ability to blanket negative media such as crashing your car while drunk and his home/partner issues

Haha dont get me ******* started on that one. Told my boss Ryan would be a bust because he wouldnt be committed to an AFL lifestyle (and because he was Nyhuis' bunny), I under-estimated WC's ability to blanket negative media such as crashing your car while drunk and his home/partner issues
Who's your boss Snuff? 🤣

The eagles have employed an ex police seargant in a player management type role after the cousins years. He has everybody's phone numbers & the story is they all love him but are s**t scared of him at the same time.
It seems to have sorted their cultural problems out.

The eagles have employed an ex police seargant in a player management type role after the cousins years. He has everybody's phone numbers & the story is they all love him but are sh*t scared of him at the same time.
It seems to have sorted their cultural problems out.
I was also told that Ryan has someone that is his handler for weekends and downtime that helps keep him inline. It sounded like a stretch to me though

Is the whole system wrong? Maybe, are we not able to get the best out of the McCarthy's and Hogans of the word, I would say it seems like it, but I think McCarthy being delisted with his level of talent is more a reflection on him than the club.

After his bag in Round 1 last year, Ross Lyon at the press conference credited the hard work he’d put in over the preseason.

He also played Round 1 this year, which wouldn’t have happened if his preparation wasn’t up to scratch.

Not saying McCarthy isn’t somewhat to blame for not putting in what he needed to, but think it’s equal parts a reflection on him and the club not getting the best out of him. Which makes me a bit dirty on the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back