Cam McCarthy - What's Going On?

Remove this Banner Ad

This

I’ve been reflecting on Cam’s departure over the last few days and have landed on being disappointed that Freo let him go.

I keep thinking back to watching the Last Dance and wondering if Freo were the Chicago Bulls would JLo et al just show Dennis Rodman the door ? Phil Jackson talked about the heyko ( a backwards walking person in Native American culture, someone who just does things differently than other people ) and the team method and way of working that Chicago built was built to get the best out of everyone/ the different personalities and a big part of their success. Cam is a heyko.

As others have said Freos future must be pretty bright if they can afford to let such football talent go .

Good luck Cam
Jordan would have murder McCarthy.

Mason Wood has been on the Roos list since 2013, only because of a few good games over the time & potential.
The Cam McCarthy situation could have panned out just like this, waiting for the potential to come to fruition, but wasting a spot on the list for someone who wants it more.
I’m actually pretty proud of the club on this one, I don’t think Cam is an AFL premiership player.

I expect that if we had better player availability we would have played finals last season. Just like if we had lost Tabs this year as per usual we would be trying hard for pick #1

If we lost Tabs at the normal time we’d have wins on the board. That’s more than you can say for Adelaide and it’s looking increasingly likely it’ll remain that way for the whole season.

I know it's all been said but jeez... I'll genuinely miss Dardy. One of those blokes who could've been anything but timing is everything and wasn't born in the right era.

I hope he continues to punch darts, skull pints and kick goals aplenty wherever his fortune takes him.

I know it's all been said but jeez... I'll genuinely miss Dardy. One of those blokes who could've been anything but timing is everything and wasn't born in the right era.

I hope he continues to punch darts, skull pints and kick goals aplenty wherever his fortune takes him.
Cam would have been an awesome footballer to watch on the The Winners

I don't follow basketball - did Rodman underperform on the court to go along with his off-field stuff though?

I'm sure if Cam was performing when it mattered it would have bought him a lot more leniency.

Rodman didn’t underperform on the court because they managed him based on who he was not who they thought he should be, that’s the point.

Did Cam train hard enough I don’t know. He came back at the start of the year in ripping nick having shed a ton of weight to play the more mobile role JLo wanted, couldn’t fault that. He was described along with Jesse H as showing positive signs training in the hub which seems acceptable and averages 1.6 goals a game when he played which is above average .

Would Jordan have murdered him - probably yes

Good luck Cam

Rodman didn’t underperform on the court because they managed him based on who he was not who they thought he should be, that’s the point.

Did Cam train hard enough I don’t know. He came back at the start of the year in ripping nick having shed a ton of weight to play the more mobile role JLo wanted, couldn’t fault that. He was described along with Jesse H as showing positive signs training in the hub which seems acceptable and averages 1.6 goals a game when he played which is above average .

Good luck Cam
More or less, it's about potential/likely reward for effort.

Rodman played a crucial role for the Bulls, particularly as you have five on the court vs 18 in footy. He also had more of a CV when he was brought into the team. McCarthy never got those credits in the bank and wouldn't be as transformative as Rodman could be, so there's less (certain) reward for effort as far as the organisation goes.

Good luck Cam

We're talking 22+ years ago though when we're talking Rodman. At that time in the AFL teams were still playing for the Ansett Pre-season Cup and Lockett won the Coleman.

Cam in the late 90's might have fit in a bit better. You can argue if the league has gone too far with professionalism but look at the new wave these days. Rowell had a notepad and pen on the sideline, Serong is playing with the focus and maturity of a 100 gamer etc...

I'm not sure its a good comparison.

Last edited:
We're talking 22+ years ago though when we're talking Rodman. At that time in the AFL teams were still playing for the Ansett Pre-season Cup and Lockett won the Coleman.

Cam in the late 90's might have fit in a bit better. You can argue if the league has gone too far with professionalism but look at the new wave these days. Rowell had a notepad and pen on the sideline, Serong is playing with the focus and maturity of a 100 gamer etc...

I'm not sure its a good comparison.
Agree with it not being the greatest comparison and different times etc, although at the time the Bulls picked up Rodman the prevailing view across the NBA was that he was too much of a loose cannon to be on a serious team's list.

The Bulls were well and truly established as an elite performing team, with plenty of success behind them already and so were able to absorb much of the disruption and distraction Rodman would bring, as long as he was committed to giving as much as he could (which he tended to do anyways) and smoothing some of his edges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone interested and well-versed in ‘Lord’ lingo, Cam did an interview on the podcast The Jamo and Dylan Show (available on Spotify). He talks about his life as an AFL footballer, how the delisting went down and a lot of other strange topics. Comes across as a really nice kid but you can definitely see why he didn’t make it in the AFL system.

Yes I’m still devastated. Long live Dardy!

Cam ‘nominates’ Victoria. Collingwood as his team of choice. Not sure if joking or serious.
Home sick, misses a year of AFL, comes back and is unfit. Now he’s sick of home and wants another chance?

He has just about zero chance of getting onto an AFL list - especially post covid when they reduce the list sizes - for the reasons the previous 2 posts mentioned. expect him to see out his time at South Freo.

Can't believe his manager is getting him into the paper etc and pushing for a return to AFL when he has shown he isn't up to it.

Shame - i wish it had panned out differently and he could have seen out his time at freo

He has just about zero chance of getting onto an AFL list - especially post covid when they reduce the list sizes - for the reasons the previous 2 posts mentioned. expect him to see out his time at South Freo.

Can't believe his manager is getting him into the paper etc and pushing for a return to AFL when he has shown he isn't up to it.

Shame - i wish it had panned out differently and he could have seen out his time at freo
You never know. A year in the Magoo's kicking 100's of goals could see him picked up again.
Probably not though.
His manager gave him some really poor advice..Sold him short big time.

If there was ever a club he'd feel at home and in good company it'd be Collingwood.

Shoot for the stars Dardy, I believe in you.
Mayne, on paper, is least talented then Cam. Shouldn’t have gone over and be as good as in the 22. Already played 55 games.
But that’s the difference between Cam and Mayne. One is a resilience hard worker that adapted to the wing, whereas the other just wants to go about it casually and given on a platter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back