Cam Mooney on AFL360 last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Mooney last night had some interesting things to say about North. It was in the context of the discussion of the Cats game and he said that North are a chance. When Robbo questioned on why, Cam said North had a very good midfield in the making and one that will be top flight. When Robbo said "What do you mean, do they have good insides, outsides, have they got the runners?" to which Cam replied "they have it all and they go deep, wait until they get a couple more years under their belt. They are coming."

He basically listed most of our midfielders as an example of how deep we go, saying "Theyve got Swallow, Wells, Zeibell, Bastinac, Cunnington, Atley, Adams running through there and also macMillan, Anthony, Mullet, Wright that also get a run through the midfield".

All those times Moondog handed our asses on a plate after giving him a premiership medal is now all forgotten.

PS: I still think the Cats will beat us but I do expect it to be tough for them.

There's a place in Cams heart for his old club, he's big enough to know that the trade was all a part of the unsavory reality of football business.

Beat me to it Adrian. :)

But it's also fair to say he was pissed off at the time and he had every right to be. It was fantastic to land Colby but it's always been a bit of a cardinal sin to trade premiership players.
Yeah......I have a mate who carries on about how we gave away an All-Australian, flag-winning CHF. I point out that Geelong had several years of putting up with Cam playing poor football, continually giving away silly frees & getting reported ; he only became a 'gun' when he had an all-star midfield feeding him, and a rock-solid defence keeping the ball up his end of the ground.

I think you're underselling him a bit. He was a good solid footballer that provided physicality to a line up that was in need of that element.

The bloke averaged 6 marks a game over 220 games. He wasn't a mug.

Yeah......I have a mate who carries on about how we gave away an All-Australian, flag-winning CHF. I point out that Geelong had several years of putting up with Cam playing poor football, continually giving away silly frees & getting reported ; he only became a 'gun' when he had an all-star midfield feeding him, and a rock-solid defence keeping the ball up his end of the ground.
It's interesting you bring that up Wasn't there a time around 2004/5 where he was almost delisted? I think it was around the time the Cats were supposed to make the finals but finished 10th and apparently Thompson was going to get the arse and Johnson was going to Collingwood etc etc...?

But he finished up a great player, and he's obviously a good bloke and you certainly wouldn't find a straighter shooter (from the mouth, not sure about his trigger skills). :)

Spot on. Would have struggled to have an impact in any team that was not as dominant as Geel (like NM).

Always seems like a great bloke off the field though.

Cam Mooney last night had some interesting things to say about North. It was in the context of the discussion of the Cats game and he said that North are a chance. When Robbo questioned on why, Cam said North had a very good midfield in the making and one that will be top flight. When Robbo said "What do you mean, do they have good insides, outsides, have they got the runners?" to which Cam replied "they have it all and they go deep, wait until they get a couple more years under their belt. They are coming."

He basically listed most of our midfielders as an example of how deep we go, saying "Theyve got Swallow, Wells, Zeibell, Bastinac, Cunnington, Atley, Adams running through there and also macMillan, Anthony, Mullet, Wright that also get a run through the midfield".

All those times Moondog handed our asses on a plate after giving him a premiership medal is now all forgotten.

PS: I still think the Cats will beat us but I do expect it to be tough for them.
Mark "Please explain" Robinson.

I think you're underselling him a bit. He was a good solid footballer that provided physicality to a line up that was in need of that element.

The bloke averaged 6 marks a game over 220 games. He wasn't a mug.

Indeed, I reckon he's underrated by many outside Geelong.

I was disappointed we let him go as he showed some promise in '99. Certainly more so than other prospects at the time.

It did take him a while to put it all together, however Geelong persisted and were rewarded. There is something to be learnt in that I reckon.

Good commentator as well. I've heard a bit of him on SEN. Seems to do his homework, no bias that I've picked up (which is unusual these days) and pretty much calls a spade a spade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark "Please explain" Robinson.

Footballs number one "old mole"

He literally shits me to tears with his fake exaggerated empathy

Every time he is about to have a go at someone...
"Look, I really like person x ... but they suck, etc"

"Awwww......Geeee.......Y'know?"

He attempts to be a McAvaney clone, but he completely lacks the sincerity to pull it off.

The first word that pops in to my mind when I think of Robinson is "plastic".

Cam Mooney is about the best ex-player commenting on the game there is - smart, knowledgeable and honest and very good at getting his message across. Really showing up a lot of the guys who appear next to him as pretenders. It would be nice to think he'll raise the bar for what is expected.

I interviewed Cam a couple of times when he was playing, and he was one of the best players to deal with, bar none.
Passionate, wore his heart on his sleeve and had a bit of white line fever, but off the ground spoke honestly and intelligently, and without a hint of arrogance.
Always liked him and glad he won some more flags after he left us.:thumbsu:

Footballs number one "old mole"

He literally shits me to tears with his fake exaggerated empathy

5386l.jpg

Its all been said here before. Its obvious Cam has a soft spot for the Roos, but he calls a spade a spade and there was absolutely no 'suck holing' about what he said, he was asked his opinion and he gave it, and he sound like he fervently believed it.

Looked like it took Robbo back a bit but he had no way to refute it.

Cam is a smart bloke and as mentioned by HtH, hes knowledgeable and honest about the game, something some of the other ex players could do with trying.

Beat me to it Adrian. :)

But it's also fair to say he was pissed off at the time and he had every right to be. It was fantastic to land Colby but it's always been a bit of a cardinal sin to trade premiership players.

If McCartney doesn't get himself suspended in the PF, Mooney wouldn't have been a premiership player.

1 free kick against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back