Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

LEGEND PICKS YOUNG LION TO SHINE
AFL players are found out in the furnace of the finals and Tim Watson believes Brisbane Lions youngster Cam Rayner is going to show the football world just how much star power he possesses. Rayner was selected with the first overall pick in the 2017 AFL Draft, but has only shown glimpses of his incredible talents.

After almost facing the axe earlier in the season the mercurial forward bounced back over the final month to prove he has what it takes. Now it’s his time to go to the next level and that’s exactly what Watson is expecting.

“For the Lions I’m going to go with one from left field as well and that’s Cam Rayner. Highly credentialed youngster, hasn’t really been able to produce a great body of work yet,” Watson said on Channel 7’s Talking Footy. “I just get the feeling the last few times that I watched him play there’s been a lot of almosts. Almost a mark in a pack, almost the ground level ball. “For the Brisbane Lions to advance, some pressure has to be taken off Charlie Cameron, somebody else has to stand up in that forward line and we know that he’s capable of it. “I think he’ll welcome the limelight I reckon he’ll welcome the pressure and I think we’re going to see something special from him in this last month of football.”

PLAYERS TO WATCH IN WEEK ONE
Brisbane — Cameron Rayner:
As Watson said, Rayner needs to lighten the load on Charlie Cameron to provide all the Lions’ scoring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...except he talks at a million miles an hour. Just wish he'd slow down a bit and take a breath once in a while.😵

Other than that, he has the most gorgeous happy face and smile. You can tell he's a good kid and would be a good cheery influence around the rooms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back