Cam Rayner extends !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic to see. Most of the young talent is locked away for a few years now.

So unexpected,but so good to hear. Must have settled in really well. Wasn't expecting to hear anything for at least a year or so either way.

Great news. A huge endorsement on just how great the club is at the moment. Cannot speak higher of the club right now we are in the best shape in a decade. On and off the field we have the right people in charge. Noble is our God and Fagan is our saviour.

ALL PRAISE

Great news. A huge endorsement on just how great the club is at the moment. Cannot speak higher of the club right now we are in the best shape in a decade. On and off the field we have the right people in charge. Noble is our God and Fagan is our saviour.

ALL PRAISE
Was waiting for yr 'destination club' comment mate haha. Fagan and Noble have done wonders for the club in such a short period of time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can u copy and paste? I cant get it.
Cameron Rayner signs two-year contract extension with Brisbane Lions before playing a game
MARCO MONTEVERDE, The Courier-Mail
32 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE AFL’s No.1 draft pick has re-signed with the Brisbane Lions for another two seasons before even playing a game for the club.

Quashing any fears of the dreaded “go-home factor” that has hurt the Lions in the past, Victorian Cameron Rayner has extended his initial two-season stay in Brisbane by two more years.

“Talk of going home was one of things I wanted to knock out of the equation pretty quickly,” Rayner told The Courier-Mail.

NO.1 PICK: I WANT TO START MY OWN BRAND: RAYNER

SUMMER SERIES: FAGAN’S RESCUE MISSION HAS LIONS ROARING

NEW RECRUIT: McCLUGGAGE HAILS HODGE INFLUENCE AT LIONS

“When the opportunity came to sign for another two years, I thought it was pretty smart to get it out of the way early.

“It makes everyone keep quiet about me going home. It’s not going to happen.”

To further ensure Rayner feels right at home in Brisbane, the Lions have him and fellow draftee Toby Wooller living with club chief executive Greg Swann and his wife Leonie at the couple’s Balmoral residence.

78693bf0068321a0e84322e0c7c47036

Cameron Rayner in action during Brisbane Lions pre-season training.
“My mum was pretty happy when she came up and saw Leonie and Swanny for the first time and got a tour of the house,” Rayner said.

“That’s why she was happy for me to sign the contract extension, because she knows there are good people up here and they all mean well.

“Me and Swanny are good with the dishes – we’ve got a nice little system going.”

Swann said while it was a “bit unusual” for Rayner and Wooller to be living in the same house as the club’s CEO, it would benefit all parties.

“They’re only 18 and most of them move away from home, so it’s nice to give them that family environment,” Swann said.

“It also gives them a bit of an insight into the workings of a club. It helps them to adjust quicker.”

db45396f2c95b7342cc6049d5965a77c

Cameron Rayner in action for Vic Metro.
Swann said the Lions had little hesitation in already offering Rayner a contract extension.

“He’s a good player. He’s shown really good aptitude, he’s fitted in really well, he’s really happy and we’re really happy to re-sign him,” he said.

“It’s becoming more prevalent that clubs try to lock away their early draft picks early in the experience.”

Rayner said any pressure associated with being first pick in the draft would ease by living in Brisbane.

“It would probably be worse if I was at a Melbourne club because there’s a lot more scrutiny down there,” the former Vic Metro star said.

“Up here it’s a lot more chilled out and a lot more relaxed. It feels like a big country town.

“You can walk around and get to know people. Down in Melbourne it’s just so full-on.”

Originally published as Rayner stunning show of faith in Lions

Um, wow! Totally didn’t expect that so soon. I kind of expected some pressure to come after his debut but that’s so bloody awesome.

Love him snuffing out the go home talk himself as well. Just love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back