Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Five up on wrestling charges
11:09:18 AM Tue 6 April, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal

The league's investigations officer John Coburn has charged five players with wrestling, with their cases to be heard by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

Tigers skipper Wayne Campbell and Melbourne's Travis Johnstone and James McDonald have all been cited for a second-quarter altercation in Friday night's clash.

The incident left a noticeably unhappy Campbell with a bloodied nose and forced him off the ground.

The Tigers face St.Kilda on Easter Monday while Melbourne takes on the Western Bulldogs.

If he gets fined the umpires should pay it for him. If they had acted to protect him from the unfair tactics being used against him off the ball instead of ignoring them the wrestling would not have occured.

Originally posted by mighty tiges
At worst Cambo should just be a little lighter in the hip pocket.

I can't recall if he has ever been reported before?

vs Geelong at Waverly in the last final series we played in.

Originally posted by oxx

And he may have been reported for charging in a Wizard Wok game a few years back (was the Ansett Cup then). It was in the forward pocket, Legend Stand end at Optus Oval and I think it was against Freo.

Think he got off as well.

i wanna know why is campbell being charged for wrestling when thoe 2 melbourne blokes went for him, whats campbell supposed to do just stand there and keep his hands off the 2 melbourne soft C@#ks who were scragging him all night? and not to mention he came off with a bloody face

bloody ridiculous decision from the AFL

"It's ok johnstone you can grab and push me around all night if you like because under the AFL rules if I grab you back then we will be both charged with wrestling"

what a joke

Good on you Campbell. I couldnt care a less if you get reported, unfairly or whatever.

You were one of the few Richmond players in this game to show some fight, and to stick up for yourself when that p00f Johnstone slapped you.

I used to sit on the wing just to remind you every week how soft you were because the first thing you always did when you got the ball was look to see if a player was coming up behind you. Not any more. Good for you and thanks for proving me wrong.

I hope some of the other softies in the team learn from your example. In fact, I hope more of our players get reported every week.

The Melbourne game is not just bad for us because we lost, but because the rest of the league looking on learnt that even a poorly skilled, bottom 8 team like the Demons can beat us if they come out hard at it from the first bounce. And the way we just couldnt match their intesnity tells every other team that we're soft.

We were a club that may have always had feral supporters, but we also used to have feral players. Guys like Sheedy and Malthouse in the back pocket that would whack you before you even knew the ball was bounced. Guys like Bourke that played with broken bones and you wouldn't recognise them if there wasnt blood all over their face.

Now we're a soft team with no feral players, and some people on this board want the feral supporters to turn soft as well. We can be all fluffy and mushy on and off the ground

I hope more of our players get reported every week. Better than being known as a soft team that no matter what, if you play hard against the Tigers they'll fold.

Originally posted by oxx

Oh yeaah..with spud right??
How did that happen again?

I'm not surprised Campbell was fined because the reporting of wrestling is often unfair on players who unwillingly get caught up in it.
What has me p*ssed off is the instigator was cleared. I watched the incident unfold prior to the cameras picking it up. McDonald dragged Campbell to the ground to stop him running to position and wrestled him so he couldn't get up.
It was then that "paper bag over the head boy" came in and tried to squash Cambo's nose into his skull and left him no choice other than to protect himself.
The charges were laid by Investigations Officer John Coburn who made easy money on this one because it was a half-@rsed investigation. I hope he doesn't go on to be a hanging judge.

Originally posted by oxx
Oh yeaah..with spud right??
How did that happen again?
Swooper was coach in that less than memorable game.

Originally posted by Fishfinger
Swooper was coach in that less than memorable game.

It was ****ing down and Ablett was just caning us.
Jeez he used to love playing the Tiges,or so it seemed.

Campbo fairy slapped a bloke on the wing.
It was a joke and im sure he was emabarassed after the fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back