Coathanger

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2006
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Yankees,Virginia Cavaliers
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of the 32 different angles to show the guy kicking for goal,and not from damn well behind so we can see???

What is with the 45deg angle shot from calf height all about?

Notice to you bonehead broadcasters! WE WANT TO SEE IF HE KICKS THE GOAL FOR GODSAKE!:mad:

Agree. It's often impossible to judge it yourself because there is no way of knowing from certain angles, and you have to wait for the crowd/commentator reaction. Can be frustrating.

I'd like to see the shot from high up directly behind the player used consistently, i.e Lenny Hayes' goal from 50 in the first GF last year.

They use the angle from behind the goals a lot but it can be misleading unless the kick is directly in front.

Not just for shots on goal, but so much more of the play should be shot from behind the player with the ball.

The game is not played from wing to wing, it is played from goal to goal. How the game unfolds happens from the goal to goal line, not any other.

It's like watching Tennis from side on - no real point as you cant see the point unfolding.

Kick ins at a minimum should all be shot from behind, and as much of the play as practically possible as well.

The weird angles, I have no idea who approves them, but have to go. Some are absolutely pathetic and you really have to wonder why they even bother. Why bother with the shot from behind the goals, but not in line with the kicker? get a better idea on radio.

Not just for shots on goal, but so much more of the play should be shot from behind the player with the ball.

The game is not played from wing to wing, it is played from goal to goal. How the game unfolds happens from the goal to goal line, not any other.

It's like watching Tennis from side on - no real point as you cant see the point unfolding.

Kick ins at a minimum should all be shot from behind, and as much of the play as practically possible as well.

The weird angles, I have no idea who approves them, but have to go. Some are absolutely pathetic and you really have to wonder why they even bother. Why bother with the shot from behind the goals, but not in line with the kicker? get a better idea on radio.
Agreed - that's the number 1 thing I say to people who say "Why don't you just watch it on TV?" You see so much at the footy that you don't see on TV. The way the play is unfolding is part of the game, and the camera angles need to give us a taste of that.

They try this behind-the-goal angle too much in my opinion. It drives me bonkers. Without fail, our view of the play gets obstructed by the goalpost.

Agree. It's often impossible to judge it yourself because there is no way of knowing from certain angles, and you have to wait for the crowd/commentator reaction. Can be frustrating.

I'd like to see the shot from high up directly behind the player used consistently, i.e Lenny Hayes' goal from 50 in the first GF last year.

They use the angle from behind the goals a lot but it can be misleading unless the kick is directly in front.

This stuff has sent me postal for decades. It really is ridiculous. Kicking goals is the name of the game yet half the time we can't even see the goal line for shots at goal. So often you haven't the vaguest idea how far short the ball is going to land. And those behind the goal shots drive me barmy - you don't even know which posts are the goals! How often do we have a perfectly good angle only for the button-pusher in the van to get trigger happy and change to a worse angle? I would kill for half an hour with the people in charge telling them what I want to see. To me it's so straightforward yet after all this time it is actually getting worse. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

I think for the grand final last year they had a skycam thing going. It's ideal for getting a camera behind the player because it can go any distance and any angle. Doesn't have much use during general play though.

I think the down the ground camera should be used more during general play. From the side you can't see who's down the ground and who they're kicking to

I'd rather see them focus on the goal square during a shot for goal. The most spectacular thing that can happen in a game of footy is a forward taking a hanger in the goal square but we usually only see the very end of this action because the cameras have been following the ball like it's a golf telecast.

I can tell by looking at the players, umpires, crowd if it's a goal or not. I don't need to make the call myself.

BTW. When Channel 7 show the shot for goal from the other side of the ground, are they using a phone camera? The resolution is terrible when you are watching in HD.

Sport on TV will not have evolved* until the home viewer has control of the camera angles. 95% of the time, I'll stick with side-on view and not so close I can see nostril hairs, I'll keep it at a fair distance so I can see those just off the ball.

And with a kick-out after a behind, I won't be sticking with a behind the goals angle until the ball reaches the 50 at the other end.

* and all sport is in HD FFS :rolleyes:

Sport on TV will not have evolved* until the home viewer has control of the camera angles. 95% of the time, I'll stick with side-on view and not so close I can see nostril hairs, I'll keep it at a fair distance so I can see those just off the ball.

And with a kick-out after a behind, I won't be sticking with a behind the goals angle until the ball reaches the 50 at the other end.

* and all sport is in HD FFS :rolleyes:

This. I don't want to look at a bloke's scalp and I don't want the ball being kicked away from me. Just like the AFL, the perpetual quest for improvement has only seen things get worse. :thumbsdown:

Spot on. Just watched the Hawks/Freo game and there were a number of shots for goals from angles when they used the behind the goal shot at the city end and you couldn't tell if it was a goal or not. Often the shot followed the flight of the ball and you couldn't see of the goal umpire was moving to his side or not. It's great camera angle when the kick is from straight in front but they'd be better off using their usual camera when the kick was from an angle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back