Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree, I think he should be at 5 - I've stated that in here.

He shouldn't be at 4 yet, though. Maybe one day; but moving Smith out of 4 for Green is a ludicrous suggestion. One day he might be the ideal 3 or 4. But right now, absolutely not.

Again, though, I'd be ok with him at 5 now. I think he's a more natural no.5 than Head who I think is an ideal no.6.

I didn't say they should move Smith out of 4 and move Green there. I just said Green would be better suited to that position in the long term.

And I agree about Head. He is the perfect number 6.

I didn't say they should move Smith out of 4 and move Green there. I just said Green would be better suited to that position in the long term.

And I agree about Head. He is the perfect number 6.
It's been suggested in here so that's my contention to it now. But agree with the long-term view.

I would love to see that change with Head but I doubt they'll do it.

It's been suggested in here so that's my contention to it now. But agree with the long-term view.

I would love to see that change with Head but I doubt they'll do it.

the australian selectors have for awhile had this kind of viewpoint of

1) two openers
2) Rank the remaining batsman
3) batting order = rank

So the reason why Head bats at 5 is because he is seen behind Labs and Smith at test level but better than Green.

Its not really how it should work.

the australian selectors have for awhile had this kind of viewpoint of

1) two openers
2) Rank the remaining batsman
3) batting order = rank

So the reason why Head bats at 5 is because he is seen behind Labs and Smith at test level but better than Green.

Its not really how it should work.
Wouldn't Smith be batting 3 if that were true?

my counter point would be we moved Ponting to no.3 after he didn't set the world on fire at 6. Sometimes you need to select on talent and potential + the achknowledgement that no.6 is a tough role, which is why averaging over 40 is pretty unusual.

I think Green has a lot of promise, and he has a very good domestic record. His Test career has been nothing special to date and any comparison with Ricky Ponting is just ludicrous (even allowing for how biased posters from a particular area are).

Ponting hit 96 on debut, averaged nearly 50 at number 6 and hit seven centuries from 33 Tests.

Green averages 35 with one century from 20 Tests.

The rest of our batters average above 45 - those blokes who apparently should change their role to accommodate a markedly inferior batsman.

Congrats young man

I've had my doubts, but hopefully this can be the catalyst to kickstart his test career because he's got the talent to be our #4 for a decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back