Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh has a superior first class record to Nesser, don't think he is the answer we're looking for. I'd prefer to run with Head at six for now.

In saying that Greens batting has been pretty impressive, as he's been scoring his runs when the team has been in trouble, rather than coming in and belting easy runs without pressure. If he keeps it up I'd be keen to see him fast tracked.

More talking in 2-3 tests time. Not sure they will play Green in Melbourne or Sydney, that seems ultra early especially when he's not bowling. If the pitch is flat running Paine at 6, Nesser at 7 isn't the worst idea.

He's 20 years old so he's still growing, would be doing him a disservice rushing him in so quickly. Wait until he gets some continuity into his bowling and then perhaps get him around the Australian side. Going to be a star though.
Don't like that argument.
Tendulkar debuted at 16,
GS Sobers at 17
Pat Cummins at 18
Imran Khan at 18
Could list a lot more.
It's a myth that bringing in guys when they're young hampers their development. Could be a case for some players but not everyone.

Tendulkar debuted at 16,
GS Sobers at 17
Pat Cummins at 18
Imran Khan at 18
Could list a lot more.
It's a myth that bringing in guys when they're young hampers their development. Could be a case for some players but not everyone.

If he hadn't experienced injuries so far then yeah sure but he can't even bowl in back to back Shield games at the moment. And his batting whilst impressive isn't good enough to get him into the side at the moment.

I'm not sure how many we'd take to Bangladesh but we might need a pace bowling number 6 to take a few overs for the main quicks in their conditions and pitches.

If Green keeps his stats up I'd pick him in the squad and then see how conditions suit.

Tendulkar debuted at 16,
GS Sobers at 17
Pat Cummins at 18
Imran Khan at 18
Could list a lot more.

Cummins debuted at 18, played his next test 6 years later - because of injuries........

If we want an all-rounder for NSW on a turning track - surely the option is Agar and not dropping a world class quick.

Hasn't he barely and I mean barely got a wicket this year in Shield cricket?

Cummins debuted at 18, played his next test 6 years later - because of injuries........
You're correct, but he didn't get injured playing that test, or because of that test, and came back to the point he had the 5th highest bowling rating of all time. Who's to say that those 6 years in the wilderness could have derailed his career if he didn't have that first taste of being in the national team.

You're correct, but he didn't get injured playing that test, or because of that test, and came back to the point he had the 5th highest bowling rating of all time. Who's to say that those 6 years in the wilderness could have derailed his career if he didn't have that first taste of being in the national team.

Cummins was played way too early. You'd hope we have learnt a bit from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cummins was played way too early. You'd hope we have learnt a bit from that.
Don't agree with that. Man of the match performance in his debut test shows he was ready to play at that level. 6 years of injuries didn't happen because he was rushed into the national team.

Don't agree with that. Man of the match performance in his debut test shows he was ready to play at that level. 6 years of injuries didn't happen because he was rushed into the national team.

Having spoken to him even he feels he was picked too soon. His body was still maturing, and his action wasn't perfect at the time. He is a physical beast now but that has come from being ready.

If we want an all-rounder for NSW on a turning track - surely the option is Agar and not dropping a world class quick.
Agar has 0/285 off 71 overs in his last 4 shield bowling innings. He has been bowling darts like you would in a T20 and I really think his short form concentration has effected his red ball bowling as he has lost all the loop and drift he used to bowl with. Should be absolutely nowhere near Australian test selection.

I think the problem we have is that the two guys you would pick ahead of him for a middle order spot on form/potential (Maddinson and Pucovksi) have been ruled out.

After them, you're choices are Marsh and Cooper, who are too old.

So if we are not choosing Green, who are we going?

It would have to be between Carey and Henriques.

Cam Green has a legitimate case for being the next best option after Head as a pure middle order batsmen though ideally he focuses on getting his back and action strong enough to bowl consistently.

Tendulkar debuted at 16,
GS Sobers at 17
Pat Cummins at 18
Imran Khan at 18
Could list a lot more.

Cummings was played early got badly hurt and spent the next 5 years out of the game he is the perfect example of not over bowling blokes under 23 with a history of injuries, patto was the same we had him bowling a lot of overs in tests at a young age when he already had back issues and it stuffed his career up.

From what i was reading green has already had four back issues/injuries in his career, him bowling lots of over in tests the next 2-3 years is probably the besr way to ruin the kid, let him bat at domestic level if WA want him just in that role that lets him him gain confidence with the bat and then he can slowly build up his resilience as a bowler and then a few years down the track we might have a great allrounder who can actually stay fit.

Cummings was played early got badly hurt and spent the next 5 years out of the game he is the perfect example of not over bowling blokes under 23 with a history of injuries, patto was the same we had him bowling a lot of overs in tests at a young age when he already had back issues and it stuffed his career up.

From what i was reading green has already had four back issues/injuries in his career, him bowling lots of over in tests the next 2-3 years is probably the besr way to ruin the kid, let him bat at domestic level if WA want him just in that role that lets him him gain confidence with the bat and then he can slowly build up his resilience as a bowler and then a few years down the track we might have a great allrounder who can actually stay fit.
Yeah I agree with you that we need to be careful not to over bowl younger players, although that can just as easily happen in first class cricket as opposed to test matches. Last season Jimmy Anderson had the biggest test fast bowling load, bowling 390 overs over 12 test matches. By way of comparison Joe Mennie bowled 591 overs playing first class cricket.

Where I'm coming from is we're talking about Cameron Green coming in as a possible all-rounder. For context Mitch Marsh is the last guy to play that type of role for Australia and averaged under 15 overs per match (7.5 overs per innings). That makes me think Green wouldn't necessarily be over-bowled if he was selected in an all-rounder capacity. This obviously can't happen while he's restricted from bowling in the short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back