Cameron Green

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Does feel like the lack of scores is getting to his head. Did not look confident at all with the bat in his hand today.

If we do what we've been doing all series, he could come in 4 down in the second dig in a fairly low pressure scenario (i.e. lead 300-350 or something like that) and have a chance to pick up a relatively easy confidence builder.

There's going to be some very tough tours coming up for the batsmen so he'll want at least 1 50+ score to his name during this Ashes.

It's only 8 tests. The panic button is a long way from being pressed. He's obviously contributing really well with the ball and in the gully.

The frustrating thing is he looked better late in the India series when he batted with a bit more freedom.

A more positive approach for the rest of the series would be good. You’re a big and imposing figure, Greeny. Use it!

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The frustrating thing is he looked better late in the India series when he batted with a bit more freedom.

A more positive approach for the rest of the series would be good. You’re a big and imposing figure, Greeny. Use it!

This!

He's just prodding away trying to cover the top of off, and obviously trying to be too technical (and it's not working).

Needs freedom to just go out and play.

Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
wombats
Does feel like the lack of scores is getting to his head. Did not look confident at all with the bat in his hand today.

If we do what we've been doing all series, he could come in 4 down in the second dig in a fairly low pressure scenario (i.e. lead 300-350 or something like that) and have a chance to pick up a relatively easy confidence builder.

There's going to be some very tough tours coming up for the batsmen so he'll want at least 1 50+ score to his name during this Ashes.

It's only 8 tests. The panic button is a long way from being pressed. He's obviously contributing really well with the ball and in the gully.
Maybe he is a better bowler

He is an excellent bowler, but a better bat IMO. Have watched a few of his Shield knocks and he tends to start slowly before feeling settled. A new national coach will be just the tonic ahead of the subicon tour.

I was probably alone in this thinking, but by the end of his career I was convinced Watson was a better bowler than batsman. Especially when injuries dropped his pace so he relied more on accuracy, swing and seam. Was a very intelligent bowler and it’s a shame he could never really bowl as much as he would have been asked to.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He may of spent a lot of time working on his bowling last off season after the Indian series and left his bat in the kit bag. There’s no tougher spot in the team than the all-rounder, especially one like Green who’s considered a genuine part of the bowling rotation and not just a gap filling part timer. Add to that he’s only 22. Just like any footy player you have to get matches under the belt before you start seeing the best of them at the top level and while we are winning we can afford to carry him while he finds his feet and builds confidence. The payoff could be enormous.

Watching him bat a couple of seasons ago in the shield when he scored a mountain of runs as a 20 year old, the most impressive aspect to his batting for mine was his amazing concentration at the crease. Those wanting him to be a swashbuckling, attacking batsman tearing sides apart in the first 60 balls faced I think are off the mark. Hes at his best when he lets the bowlers bowl to him and scores through his own areas. Not trying to create runs where he’s not comfortable. Green scores big hundreds because he bats the same way when he’s on 30 or 130. Watching him 2 seasons ago he just never looked like getting out - he hardly played a false shot and his defence was rock solid. If he can get back to anything like that he would be a perfect number 5 for us long term instead of feeling the pressure of having to score fast at number 6/7.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Not sure, but are the knives out for the kid already!!!!!
I am not sure he has the feeling that he belongs just yet. In a group after wickets, he seems to be on the outside of the group.
He appears to me to be very quit and maybe unsure of himself .
But he will be a big part of Australian cricket for a long time.

All the pieces are there we just need to be a little patient and let the young man develop. With time his confidence will grow, he will feel more comfortable in the international environment and then we will have the next Botham or Khan or Dev on our hands.

Exciting times ahead.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His series bowling stats are pretty damn good.

You could make the argument he’s been the best bowler of the series given he’s been bowling 4th or 5th change with that ER and SR

Was a good argument about his value in the subcontinent on Radio yesterday.

He can definitely be the 2nd seamer in India, but given Starcs batting atm, we might play 3.

Selectors are reportedly considering Lyon/Swepson/Maxwell trio for the upcoming tour with possibly Cummins/Green as the seam attack.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I think with every run Green scored today, he could feel the steel slowly being removed from his back.
Full credit to the kid, he battled early .Battled not only his own problems, but the English attack, that at that stage were well on top.
With a lot of help and encouragement from Khawaja, he began to believe in himself.
He made hard work of it, but at every opportunity he got , he rolled the strike over to Khawaja.
Then he gave his wicket away after Khawaja got his ton and was told to chase quick runs.
Well played young man.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Green is a 'genuine' all-rounder, not a batting or bowling all-rounder. Andrew Flintoff was a genuine all-rounder who had a celebrated career (perhaps a bit over-rated, truth be told, but he was very good). Flintoff averaged 32.78 with the ball and 31.77 with the bat. Green's sample size is still small, but he averages 27.37 with the ball and 30.58 with the bat. By that comparison, Green's start has been a raging success.

Ben Stokes is a batting all-rounder, and he averages 32.11 with the ball and 36.12 with the bat. What Green already offers across both bowling and batting is comparable to those numbers. Of course, Green does not have 'talismanic' powers, and he has only played eight tests, so it's too early to judge. But there is more than enough there for the selectors to stick with him.

Back