Cameron Ling doesn't rate Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

taicho

Draftee
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Leaving Voss out of the top 10 is like leaving Santa out of the top ten best things about Christmas

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
618166.jpg

Roylion this dude has been baiting you this whole time. He is only interested in stringing you along longer, not winning the argument.

If I didn't have the time or the inclination I wouldn't bother. Turns out at the moment I have both. And my posts on the matter aren't really for his benefit anyway as I doubt he's open to anything but his own set narrative.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I do find it weird how much one opinion has generated so much discussion, especially from someone who's opinion doesn't matter apparently. It's not like his actual top 10 was a bunch of turds - they are all great players and he simply thought at least 10 others were better. I am not sure why it matters if someone thinks differently.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I tried pointing that out earlier in the thread, but nobody seems to care. It's the "let's bag the crap out of that useless, tagging, no hoping, ranga, fence sitter ugly, goose, less intelligence than a 3 year old" thread now.

Not many want to actually discuss the topic at hand, which even then is really quite pointless as it's just his opinion. Really, why would anyone even care if he doesn't rate Voss (which incidentally is not what he said, but hey let's put that in the title of the thread anyway). How dare he have an opinion that's different to mine - righto, lets jump on BigFooty and bag the ugly ranga - BigFooty 101.
From 2000 onwards he won 3xAA, 2x MVP's, 2x premiership B&F's, 4x AFL best captain awards and an AFL most courageous award. He was the best player in the league for a couple of years after 2000...

Didn't Ling have Hird and Buckley in his top 10? Both are a few years older than Voss... Voss retired in 2006 and I am not sure Hird and Buckley did a great deal after then...

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
From 2000 onwards he won 3xAA, 2x MVP's, 2x premiership B&F's, 4x AFL best captain awards and an AFL most courageous award. He was the best player in the league for a couple of years after 2000...

Didn't Ling have Hird and Buckley in his top 10? Both are a few years older than Voss... Voss retired in 2006 and I am not sure Hird and Buckley did a great deal after then...
I wouldn't have Hird in for the same reason i wouldn't have Goodes.

WeAreGeelong

All Australian
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Maybe send an email to Lingy - it's his opinion, not mine.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Shittest football analyst in the game and the personality of a toilet roll holder.

Lost me the moment his 2013 Rising Star votes were revealed:

Cameron Ling
5 – Jaeger O’Meara
4 – Brad Crouch :huh:
3 – Nick Vlastuin :huh::huh:
2 – Tom Mitchell
1 – Aaron Mullett :drunk:

Ollie Wines, 24 games @ 20 mostly contested disposals a game as an 18 yo inside midfielder: 0 votes

Couple years later justified it on twitter with "I forgot " :rainbow:
He did a much better job in 2014...

Cameron Ling
5 – James Aish
4 – Luke McDonald
3 – Tom Langdon
2 – Marcus Bontempelli
1 – Luke Dunstan

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah nah. Voss won a Brownlow and All Australians with a shithouse Brisbane Bears team. But I don't give a hoot about stats; stats say Buckley was better in the 2002 GF. And you know what? The stats are wrong.

Arguing Buckley was a better player than Voss is at least reasonable; a better captain though? Delusional.

Buckley was better in the 2002 GF for 3/4 quarters so far better his (Voss') own coach had to move Voss off him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes that's the one. The Norm Smith victory that forever changed the voting procedure due to it exposing serious flaws in a system that saw Bucks win the medal in a game where he wasn't the best player over 4 quarters.

Never said Buckley wasn't superb. Just said Voss was better. And he deadset was.

Yes where they media love in for Voss was at an all time high fawning over the Lions star studded midfield of which he captained Voss had a superior end to the game but an inferior 3 quarters leading to it!
A game is played for 4 quarters not just the last 15 minutes of it that you remember freshly.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree to disagree, Buckley carried the team on his back that day (as he did throughout his career), stop Buckley and you stopped Collingwood, as for Voss, i actually don't even think he was the best mid in his own team.

Spot on, on both accounts. I actually thought Nigel Lappin was their best mid despite him being the only one not to win a BL.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exactly! Which is why they changed the Norm Smith voting until after 4 quarters had been played rather than 3 and a half.

Always love a good quote from the past. That post is nearly 3 years old.

Yeah they wanted to vote a bloke off 15 minutes rather then the bloke who rightfully won it after being head and shoulders better for majority of the game.

Even Leigh Matthews has said he had to move Voss off Buckley as Buckley was carving them up.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Voss wasn't best on for 4 quarters so your EFA is more just s**t dribble. He did a couple things in the last that had the media frothing that's why it was changed if the game is watched for it's entirety then Buckley was the better player for longer. Voss wasn't even 2nd for much of it.
No one besides Collingwood supporters believe this

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Magpies fans acting like they can actually remember the game. Yeah ok. You probably watched it once, live, 20 years ago. Me and every Brisbane fan have probably watched that game at least 100 times since it happened, and it is fresh in our memories, compared to the drunk haze that Magpies fans remember it in.

For a single game, Voss had a remarkable amount of legendary Grand Final moments. From the Burns hit, recovery, and hand ball to Black for the goal, to the 55 metre launch to put Brisbane ahead just before the 3 quarter time siren, and the clutch mark/cramp late in the 4th. From that goal onwards he was the single most influential player in the game in his typical never say die style.

60% of the voters said that they would've voted for Voss if they had've voted at the end of the game, rather than 3 quarter time. Thus Voss would've won the vote count 10-9 over Buckley.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Magpies fans acting like they can actually remember the game. Yeah ok. You probably watched it once, live, 20 years ago. Me and every Brisbane fan have probably watched that game at least 100 times since it happened, and it is fresh in our memories, compared to the drunk haze that Magpies fans remember it in.

For a single game, Voss had a remarkable amount of legendary Grand Final moments. From the Burns hit, recovery, and hand ball to Black for the goal, to the 55 metre launch to put Brisbane ahead just before the 3 quarter time siren, and the clutch mark/cramp late in the 4th. From that goal onwards he was the single most influential player in the game in his typical never say die style.

60% of the voters said that they would've voted for Voss if they had've voted at the end of the game, rather than 3 quarter time. Thus Voss would've won the vote count 10-9 over Buckley.

I've actually watched the game quite a few times and up till 3qtr time Buckley was clearly the best player on the ground and by a margin. Voss along with his WHOLE team lifted in the last, the acts you speak of barring the goal were all last quarter moments Buckley was out on his feet likely due to the carrying a vastly inferior midfield vs one of the best ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back