Opinion Cameron, Patton, Boyd or Tomlinson -we must get one

Remove this Banner Ad

It's no news that I'm no fan of Jones and think he lacks forward instincts and skills. Look at what Stringer, a guy who does have forward instincts and skills, had done in the last few weeks.

I don't think Jones is the answer moving forward.
Fair enough. I believe he's part of the answer but obviously there's a big divide among opinions on Jones.
Michael Talia has his attributes but he might be the worst kick of the ball in the entire league.
He's cleaned it up a lot since he first came onto the scene, I haven't been too concerned when he's had the ball for Footscray. It's still an ugly action but it's not as bad as it was.

Fair enough. I believe he's part of the answer but obviously there's a big divide among opinions on Jones.
He's cleaned it up a lot since he first came onto the scene, I haven't been too concerned when he's had the ball for Footscray. It's still an ugly action but it's not as bad as it was.

I haven't seen him play much this year living here so I'll defer to your greater knowladge.

It's not that much greater, just a little observation :p What interested me, before the poor bugger went down, was seeing that Clay had maintained that ungainly action but was nailing almost every kick, it seemed.

Its interesting. Hird's handball and vision is like Bonts. I see Kouta as more an athlete first, well he was I suppose, Hird a footy player first, Bonts is less athletic more a footy player. He isn't as good as Hird overhead but his vision and smarts (and lack of pace), good hands and an okay kick that seems to do the job, reminds me of Hird.

You are right early in his career Roughy could get lost and he also choked with his kicking. But I would still be interested to see if he can be given another shot particularly given the Scarlett comments re him being long term a fwd. Roughy's future seems dependent on who we pick up I think.
I still don't really see the Hird comparison, but that may be because I'm the only person in the world that didn't rate him that highly. Very good and courageous player (especially in his youth) but not in the league of Voss and the like. But get what you're saying with vision and smarts. My Kouta comparison was more about his ability to do the freakish and make it look easy, all while being the height of a KPP with the skills of a mid.

Hey I'd love to see him trialled forward again, even if it is only to dispell these sorts of discussions. Just think he has the instincts and competetive nature of a backman. Although, I must mention I don't actually remember Scarlett saying that he'd make a good forward, but I do remember Mooney being vehement about it. Happy to take your word on it though.

Maybe they are.

Grant has been flakey since he joined us, and according to reports Talia has been just OK at Footscray this season. Likewise, allegedly Talia has had off field issues and issues with the coach.

So your point is?

When your limited in your approach, when its my way or the highway (an incredibly archaic management technique) good players slip through the cracks and have stellar careers elsewhere. And then rocketscientist on Bigfooty start "greatest players to leave young" threads.

I would happily part with our first pick for Adam Tomlinson, offer him a big wad of cash.

I still don't really see the Hird comparison, but that may be because I'm the only person in the world that didn't rate him that highly. Very good and courageous player (especially in his youth) but not in the league of Voss and the like. But get what you're saying with vision and smarts. My Kouta comparison was more about his ability to do the freakish and make it look easy, all while being the height of a KPP with the skills of a mid.

Hey I'd love to see him trialled forward again, even if it is only to dispell these sorts of discussions. Just think he has the instincts and competetive nature of a backman. Although, I must mention I don't actually remember Scarlett saying that he'd make a good forward, but I do remember Mooney being vehement about it. Happy to take your word on it though.

I totally agree - good player Full Stop

Lets not forget he played for a club that all through their history was full of the "best ever ever to play" :rolleyes:

Arogant Little Drug Cheats

Our problem of late has not been scoring - it has been stopping the opposition forwards from scoring.

I'm still not sold on Talia and I don't see Roughy as a long-term fullback or CHB. I'd be in favour of us trying to get one or two gun key defenders and letting Macca manufacture a mobile, dangerous forward line that doesn't rely on an inconsistent, overpriced gorilla forward. We've got some options up forward that we need to try to develop into competent forwards - they don't have to be Coleman Medalists to help the team win a flag.

Let's not sell the farm to get a forward and forever regret that they haven't lived up to expectations.

Really?
Who of the listed possibles is an "inconsistent, overpriced gorilla forward"? I really like the thought that any of them could be coming to the kennel.
Our forward line is a very long way from being comparable to any of the top sides. We don't just need a bit of fine-tuning and experience, we need a full-scale talent injection! "Competent" does not win GFs. Every position on the field is important, but you have to kick goals to win.
Go back through the Coleman Medallists for the last few decades and I think you'll find that most were associated with very successful teams. They didn't do it by themselves, but they were certainly really important. Premiers almost always have a dominant forward, and we almost never have one.
Hawthorn's For/Against is 1826/1305 from 16 games, while ours is 1380/1615 from 17. How does that point to a defence problem and a reasonable attack? We're usually completely dysfunctional with occasional glimpses of adequacy. We need a focus.

Good KPF>Good KPD>Good Ruckman>Almost Any 2 Midfielders ('ços there are lots of good ones)

I think if we got Tomlinson and gave him the Chance to be "The Guy" I can see him developing into a hopefully less of a Diving Flog Nick Riewoldt he has the Tank and Football Smarts

But obviously if I had a Preference I would get Patton
For sure, he knows how to lead up well, if he can have a free pass to everywhere all over the ground (Cameron/Patton don't allow him too) it would be good to see if he could take big marks inside 50.

I would happily part with our first pick for Adam Tomlinson, offer him a big wad of cash.
Agree. And they'd have to do the deal right? They would have turned pick 9 from 2011 into a pick 5 or 6. And plus they risk losing him next year for an inferior deal as well.

Michael Talia has his attributes but he might be the worst kick of the ball in the entire league.
I dunno about that he has improved considerably, he's actually turned himself into a pretty reliable kick IMO and he actually has a somewhat proper ball drop now

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if Talia or Roberts plays on the weekend, we win. Simple as that. Selection has been odd this season from the get go.

I don't want roughie going forward. I think roughie takes the hale types, Talia the buddy/roughie/cloke type and Roberts takes the Reid/Gunston types. Nice balance moving forward and the ability to swap roles if someone gets off the leash like Carlisle did.

Agree with dry rot that we save our chocolates for the 2015 off-season when all 4 of these boys are off-contract. Keep working with jones and redpath in the meantime.

Trade Cooney (sorry Coons love ya)
Higgins can go (Sorry Higgs)

The Bulldogs are one player short of making our on ball brigade the best over the next 8 years.
Now what if I told you he wants to play for us....

Give pick 6 for Will-Hoskin Elliott

Will-Hoskin Bondepelli McCrae

Best Centre line in the comp..-they will make our forwards look better than what they are.

Do the deal dogs he wants home and we need speed.. and get second round pick for Higgs Wow massive draft for us.

we would then trade Coons and go to the draft with picks around 22-23-24-38 Cordy and Hoskin-Elliott

Both Higgs and Coons have the chance to win a premiership :) Hawthorn want Coons

Use pick 22 for the best forward
Use pick 23 for the best kick H-B
Use pick 24 for the best Ruck--Read

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water guys just play to our strenghts and develop our Talls..

I would only trade Cooney if he wanted out. The guy is a heart and spirit kind of bloke. You can't afford to trade these kind of blokes.

I think if Talia or Roberts plays on the weekend, we win. Simple as that. Selection has been odd this season from the get go.
Who would they have played on?
The only forward who looked dangerous for Essendon beat our two best tall backmen. Carlisle would have murdered Talia or Roberts.

Am I the only one who thinks, as good as players like Tomlinson are, structually, he's not what we need?
We need a big, bollocking, ~200cm key forward.
With Jones an athletic CHF type, and enough medium forwards in Stringer, Crameri, and Bonti if he plays there, and Grant for argument's sake, we don't need another player of that size as it's pointless structurally even if he might be our best forward.
Look how good Campbell was for us at the end of last year. Although he's not playing there any more because we want to develop him as a ruck, and opposition defenders ran off him too easily, his sheer size and actual physical presence did wonders for our forward line.
What I'd be looking for it either poaching Patton, Boyd, through trading or drafting getting Wright or Durdin, or even seeing if we can get somebody like Grimley from Hawthorn. As much as Tomlinson is a good player (and I love him as much as everybody else on this board does) I don't think he's the ideal forward we should be going after in terms of our structure.

I would stick with Redpath and give him the opportunity because if anyone expects a raw rookie within 3 games to be taking big marks and converting goals as a KPF, you've got to come back from that dream world.

Redpath is starting off like Jarryd Roughead did a few years back, who when was young was a bit awkward, not taking the big grabs but still crashing packs and getting the ball to the ground. Which is what he has been doing. He is a big lad and will get to learn how to use his frame to his advantage, but getting another young rookie is not going to bring immediate results either.

Who would they have played on?
The only forward who looked dangerous for Essendon beat our two best tall backmen. Carlisle would have murdered Talia or Roberts.
Roughie looked sore/injured and Morris ain't anywhere near big enough. Talia/Roberts would have had a much better shot at slowing Carlisle IMO.

Well that was a disappointment.

I looked at this thread and saw 122 unread posts - all of them overnight. I got really excited. I thought Wow! there must be some real action happening. Or at least some serious rumours of a big name transfer to the WB.

Alas no. :( All I got was 122 posts of hypothetical trades, assessment of prospects, BF in-fighting, etc.

So I have developed a cunning and foolproof plan to get a gun KPF. It goes like this:

"Dear Santa, ..."*

*Yes, I also believe in the tooth fairy and Macca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back