Cameron Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t his fitness and therefore attitude questioned? As in commitment, not as in teamwork etc.
That's not what the poster was inferring, as they also mentioned fitness, which I didn't quibble about.

Fitness was an issue and is a part of many a young player's football journey.

And when I highlighted attitude to said poster they doubled down and didn't take the stance you are when they could have.

Dusty showed signs of being an elite ball winner from day one. Rayner has never done the same.
It’s amazing how many people forget Dusty was pretty much a gun from game one. He wasn’t a slow burn at all.

Wasn’t best in the league calibre until 25/26, but there was never any question that he would be a quality player.

Has been pretty good against Richmond the last few encounters I thought.

Not judging him for last night, even guys like Pendlebury were made to look like children against Geelong these last two weeks.

It’s amazing how many people forget Dusty was pretty much a gun from game one. He wasn’t a slow burn at all.

Wasn’t best in the league calibre until 25/26, but there was never any question that he would be a quality player.
Yeah it is strange.

He definitely had a year or two where he stagnated and a bit and faded out of games in second halves but he was always getting upwards of 20 disposals from day one. He was getting midfield time and performing.

It's such a lazy and wrong comparison these days whenever anyone sees some young kid who isn't a midfielder but could maybe end up there someday and compare him to Dusty.

Dusty by 2016/17 simply became a four quarter player and an even more prolific forward. He didn't just appear out of nowhere in the midfield.

Still has plenty of time on his side.

Still only 20 years old FFS.

Fair dinkum, a few fair nuffies are so keen to write off young players prematurely.

Let him develop and grow as a player at his own pace without unfair to other gun players like Dusty.

The kid has all the tools to be a game changer/matched winning star, but as I say, he is 20 years old still yet to define his natural/best position on field. Cut him some slack.

Weren't people saying this about Petracca a few seasons ago? Shows glimpses, doesn't do enough, will be a forward because he has a poor tank/attitude/fitness and can't play mid.

Sometimes it just suddenly "clicks" after a few seasons.
Yes but despite those criticisms Petracca was still a significantly better player than what Rayner has shown thus far.

Rayner is 62 games in and is still just shown small glimpses, he is getting by on reputation currently and the fact the Lions are a good team so he is escaping a lot of the pressure a number 1 pick normally gets.

If the Lions were sitting 15th and still banking on him being the superstar to carry the team forward like most number 1 picks are he would be getting a lot more heat.

He may be the next Trac or Dusty but on exposed form we have not seen anything to suggest it is likely to happen.

Weren't people saying this about Petracca a few seasons ago? Shows glimpses, doesn't do enough, will be a forward because he has a poor tank/attitude/fitness and can't play mid.

Sometimes it just suddenly "clicks" after a few seasons.

Petracca at the same age (second season, Rayner's third) averaged 19 touches and a goal a game. His issue was whether he had the tank to be a full time midfielder with his solid frame, and that is second season was great and then his third and fourth seasons he tread water. Was great this year. Stats are up almost across the board even with the shorter games.

Rayner might push into the midfield next year, but players rarely go from 10 touch a game forwards to full time mids in one hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty was bombing goals from 55m on the run in his first year. Has looked a star from day dot.

salty fagan link...lol,blokes not a premiership coach,i see podgy Birchalls got another year,gotta laugh at his deep seated love for hawk discards
cant win a flag on emotion,good bloke ...but
All he needs to do now is give Robinson another year and then his fate is well n truly sealed

This is the kind of analysis I go to bigfooty for.

salty fagan link...lol,blokes not a premiership coach,i see podgy Birchalls got another year,gotta laugh at his deep seated love for hawk discards
cant win a flag on emotion,good bloke ...but
All he needs to do now is give Robinson another year and then his fate is well n truly sealed

Excellent and extremely well articulated. Brilliant analysis.

Rayner reminds me of Petracca a few years ago, and thus could become the player Petracca has now become.

To me, put simply, both were glory hounds. They both were trying to do something I like to call "million dollar kicks", whereby they try to do the amazing with every possession and look like a million dollars.

That might have translated ok at junior level, but as Petracca learnt, its more difficult at this level. Subsequently though, when Christian started to lower the eyes, choose better options, stop chasing the glory every time he was within 55m meters from goal and started to do the team things, he has absolutely flourished. Deservedly, he has now become one of the elite players in the competition.

I would back Rayner, in time, to be able to do the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back