Coach Cam Sutcliffe - Development Coach

With injury run we’re having this season, he could be quite handy
Well I come back to my question earlier, when can we play any of our Cat A or Cat B rookies? Ignoring replacing long-term injured players that is because it seems we're not doing that.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
GrĂŞmio, DC United, Pistons
I have no idea at all about whether we can play rookie listed players, I'm sure it used to be after R8.
No restrictions.
----

What will his number be? Can't be No.1 he's not AFL captain.
Truth be told, we don't have an AFL captain. That's why there is nobody with the #1 guernsey. In this context, I don't mind the number being worn by the Magpies' captain — to be honest.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Realistically, is he going to get a game? If not, what was the point? Would Dillon O'Reilly or Marlion Pickett have perhaps been better options?

Keep 1 for the Maggies, 48 if he ever gets a game for the power
Another question is will we look for an SANFL listed leadership player? or will that be something that is done in the off-season?

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tend to agree with you, he's 27 and not really ripping it up in the SANFL.
If Trengove can't get a look in how will he.
We should've taken a risk and gone for a KPF like O'Reilly. If he doesn't work out, you cut him. If he does work out, sweet we have a decent KPF and can build our forward line around him, Marshall and Frampton. But a 27 year old medium defender? Why the f**k did we do that?

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We should've taken a risk and gone for a KPF like O'Reilly. If he doesn't work out, you cut him. If he does work out, sweet we have a decent KPF and can build our forward line around him, Marshall and Frampton. But a 27 year old medium defender? Why the f**k did we do that?
I have no idea what this club does any more, seems everything we think the club does the exact opposite.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Where did you find that?
Here: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/cba-frequently-asked-questions/

"How will list structure change under this deal?

The rookie list will remain, but Category-A rookies will be available for senior selection and paid at an increased rate."
-----

Realistically, is he going to get a game? If not, what was the point?
I have no idea what this club does any more, seems everything we think the club does the exact opposite.
It only makes sense from a Magpies' perspective, as shewho has pointed out above:
I mentioned this in another thread- it rewards players who come here as top ups for the Magpies. Hopefully, when we go scouring the country looking for 2020 top up players, the fact that we rewarded Cam in 2019, will be the carrot other good players need to come to Port.
If that's the case, I am OK with the call.

Here: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/cba-frequently-asked-questions/

"How will list structure change under this deal?

The rookie list will remain, but Category-A rookies will be available for senior selection and paid at an increased rate."
-----

It only makes sense from a Magpies' perspective, as shewho has pointed out above:

If that's the case, I am OK with the call.

And when Hinkley picks Sutcliffe ahead of Garner for the feel good video and Garner realises that he is behind Broadbent and Sutcliffe in the pecking order and that playing at Hawthorn with his brother looks like a very good idea, tell me then how ok you are with the call.

It's a strange decision. It would be easy to conclude that some promises were made in the pre season regarding if a spot opened up then he'd be the one filling the spot. Or maybe we've got in early as we will make some big changes to our HBF stocks at the end of the year.

Nothing against Cam, I don't mind him as a player, but its literally the one spot on the ground we have more than adequate reserve for.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its no slight on him but this mid season draft is such a waste of time. Mid season trade period is what’s needed.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
And when Hinkley picks Sutcliffe ahead of Garner for the feel good video and Garner realises that he is behind Broadbent and Sutcliffe in the pecking order and that playing at Hawthorn with his brother looks like a very good idea, tell me then how ok you are with the call.
Then, it wouldn't have been a pick taken from the Maggies' perspective, would it?

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Cam can take the place of one of the other 18 half back flankers in our current squad. Good to see we, as CD stated, "balanced the roster" in this draft!

th

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't believe we picked Sutcliffe to entice future players to play for the Magpies because only the leadership player is guaranteed weekly games, although it may entice that one decent player to want to be that leadership player but that's as far as I'll believe the intention of this pick. Other than being a leadership player if you were a player with a chance of being drafted in any draft you have a better chance of being drafted when not playing for the crows or Port because you'd be playing sanfl regularly. I think this decision was a promise to Sutcliffe as Macca said. It makes it an unprofessional decision.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't believe we picked Sutcliffe to entice future players to play for the Magpies because only the leadership player is guaranteed weekly games, although it may entice that one decent player to want to be that leadership player but that's as far as I'll believe the intention of this pick. Other than being a leadership player if you were a player with a chance of being drafted in any draft you have a better chance of being drafted when not playing for the crows or Port because you'd be playing sanfl regularly. I think this decision was a promise to Sutcliffe as Macca said. It makes it an unprofessional decision.
Why would/How could we promise that? We could have had no spot available.

Back