Coach Cam Sutcliffe - Development Coach

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cam is a good solid footballer and has been described as a 'terrific' 'professional' and a ripping' guy ... however will he actually add 'balance' 'upside' 'backup' to the squad of 45 players?
I believe Port will never recruit players such as Dusty Martin, Sydney Stack, Mumford, Toby Green, which is a pity. Clubs/teams should be a mixture of personalities and skill sets. Polec, Wingard and Pittard were all 'different' and are now gone.
Well done Cam and good luck.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Strange decision to pick Cam

Doesnt seem to offer anything that we dont have.

Seems a slow player with decent skills. Same as trengrove. So what was the point

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Maybe I am too keen on conspiracy theory and maybe I should be writing for television but based on Jason Cripps' comments this is more of, Ken likes him because he fits into Ken's style of footy stuff. To be rewarded at Alberton these days you need to be popular with the Coach and among the playing group and football ability and performance are secondary considerations. First the Co Captain fiasco, which we now know was largely Hinkley's brainchild, now the promotion of a fair to middling delisted 186cm defender supposedly to shore up our already over supplied defensive and midfield stocks. It simply does not make any strategic sense so I will go with a 'Hinkley's Heroes' theory.

Drafting Cam Sutcliffe mid season is not going to change the world. But I guess that is the point - why do it if it doesn't change anything?

Then, it wouldn't have been a pick taken from the Maggies' perspective, would it?

You surely don't believe a player is put on an AFL list purely for the purpose of playing for the Magpies? Especially given Hinkley's recent record for gifting games to players he has salvaged from the scrapheap? Nathan Krakouer, Trent McKenzie, Lindsay Thomas, Jack Trengove, Dom Barry all rescued from football wilderness and played by Hinkley. You could even throw in Jimmy Toumpas - he was traded in but if we had waited 5 minutes he would have been delisted anyway.

Who was going to take Sutcliffe from us? The guy has barely fired a shot at sanfl level. If he wasn't playing for us would anyone even notice? It was just another case of unimaginative, conservative selection. So much for Hinkley's brave mantra. Do as I say not as I do. And as for the bullshit Chris Davies babbled before the draft, I'm still hosing that off the driveway.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
You surely don't believe a player is put on an AFL list purely for the purpose of playing for the Magpies? Especially given Hinkley's recent record for gifting games to players he has salvaged from the scrapheap? Nathan Krakouer, Trent McKenzie, Lindsay Thomas, Jack Trengove, Dom Barry all rescued from football wilderness and played by Hinkley. You could even throw in Jimmy Toumpas - he was traded in but if we had waited 5 minutes he would have been delisted anyway.

Who was going to take Sutcliffe from us? The guy has barely fired a shot at sanfl level. If he wasn't playing for us would anyone even notice? It was just another case of unimaginative, conservative selection. So much for Hinkley's brave mantra. Do as I say not as I do. And as for the ******** Chris Davies babbled before the draft, I'm still hosing that off the driveway.
My comment was conditional. If the condition isn't fulfilled, my comment does not apply. Still, you argue as if it did...

My comment was conditional. If the condition isn't fulfilled, my comment does not apply. Still, you argue as if it did...

I'm just asking the question if you believe that condition to be realistic. Otherwise, you might as well say it's all good as long as he promises to bring a unicorn to training. ;)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I'm just asking the question if you believe that condition to be realistic. Otherwise, you might as well say it's all good as long as he promises to bring a unicorn to training. ;)
giphy.gif

And as for the ******** Chris Davies babbled before the draft, I'm still hosing that off the driveway.
We've seen enough to know by now that when Chris Davies is in the media talking about sensible things we might do before a draft or trade period, we're foxing and already plan doing something totally decrepit.

Hearing CD talking about how we might redraft Brendan Fevola would inspire more confidence, because that too would be gamesmanship - but might conceal something worth doing.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Still not sure what the club is thinking here.

Sutcliffe - 18.7 average disposals.
Trengove - 34.9
Atley - 26.7
Mayes - 25.4

I understand his position may effect this some what but if those three can't get a game, At 27 Cam may struggle, ripping bloke in all.

Cam SUTCLIFFE (Port Adelaide)
2019 SANFL

Totals
  • 6 games
  • 2 goals
  • 2 behinds
  • 1 time in best players list

Averages
  • 12.5 kicks
  • 6.5 handballs
  • 19.0 disposals
  • 2.8 marks
  • 3.5 tackles
  • 0.5 frees for
  • 2.0 frees against
  • 2.3 inside 50s
  • 1.3 rebound 50s
  • 70.00 AFL Fantasy points
Cam SUTCLIFFE (Peel Thunder)
2018 WAFL

Totals
  • 9 games
  • 11 goals
  • 1 behind
  • 6 times in best players list

Averages
  • 17.4 kicks
  • 7.6 handballs
  • 25.0 disposals
  • 3.4 marks
  • 7.7 tackles
  • 0.9 frees for
  • 1.1 frees against
  • 3.4 inside 50s
  • 3.7 rebound 50s
  • 113.56 AFL Fantasy points

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Ricky Henderson getting 37 touches and tearing us apart might have clinched this for Sutcliffe. I’m tipping a post bye run with role on his old mate Brad Hill.

I don’t want to believe that we signed a 27 year old without the intention of playing AFL in the near term.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really dissapointed with signing Sutcliffe. Seriously better prospective options at SANFL level.
Why the hell did we play it so safe? A free hit and we bunt the ball. :mad:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unless we have a very specific role in mind for him I'm a bit underwhelmed too.

Admire his effort and tenacity and comes ready with AFL level running capacity so hope the best for him.

Congratulations Cam Sutcliffe on being selected for your first game with Port Adelaide. I hope you do the legendary #50 guernsey proud. :p

Not my first choice as a mid-season draft selection but I'll be giving you my full support as a Port Adelaide player.

Visit hell upon Lachie Neale. ;)

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ken Hinkley may be hoping that Sutcliffe's inside knowledge of Lachie Neale's game will help him curb Neale's influence. I wish Cameron well but it is more in hope than expectation.

I dont think it's so much inside knowledge, but more that we don't have another player who's a feasible tagger.

To be honest I'm sceptical and would prefer SPP retain his spot, but given the impact of de Boer & Hutchings in recent times + predictable effect of Neale on games this year then is probably a worthy investigation this week more than ever.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
#50 is my favorite number thanks to my love of the Admiral, David Robinson.

Wishing him all the best, it's a strange selection but all we want is to win and if he's to play then let's hope he helps us achieve that!

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Wishing him all the best, it's a strange selection but all we want is to win and if he's to play then let's hope he helps us achieve that!
I have over 50 NBA cards of Robinson as he has same last name make me an offer? Lol

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

The question has probably already been asked but have we ever had a player wear a number higher than 50 in the AFL? Reminds me of the old playing days when University players had numbers like 199 on their backs.

Back