Coach Cam Sutcliffe - Development Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

He's shown a better ability to deliver into forward 50, hit targets and snap goals than Wines.

I guess that means he'll get dropped for Wines next week.

I'm sure if we persisted with Willem Drew, Joe Atley, Kane Farrell, Joel Garner, Billy Frampton for a month they'd be capable of playing one good game out of four too.

Had a good game yesterday. Should still be cut at the end of the year.

My opinion always has been that he's a capable AFL player and good depth, but at his age and with his limited upside he just didnt deserve a spot in the team.

He's played 3 shockers and then 1 good game, and we persisted through that. I would rather have pumped 3 games of half back tagging into Farrell, another game into Marshall or Ladhams Vs GWS, etc. Hell even give an exciting talent like Atley the crack he deserves, but don't just gift games to older players that haven't earnt it.

I hope he succeeds, and this week wasn't just a fluke, but hoping he succeeds doesn't change the fair and accurate criticism that Ken gets for picking him when he was unworthy.

Surprised there’s no thread for Cam. Watched where the game was won (3rd quarter) v Essendon and it was Sutcliffe and Rozee who stood out.

Now I know that as far as footballers go, he’s about as fashionable and sexy as your oldest undies, but in a team whose greatest weakness is kicking inside 50, to have one player have 3 assists in one quarter with excellent kicks inside 50, when the game was on the line- that’s huge.

I’m prepared to eat some humble pie (actually, I’m on a diet and would eat anything) and I suspect I’m not alone. I want to see him play this week, just to see if he can do that “lowering of the eyes and hitting targets inside 50” trick I’d only heard rumours about, again.

I have nothing against Cam but it's interesting that he was backed in for 3 poor games before finally breaking out and having a decent game. Wish that was applied to some other players.

My Freo supporting mate said Sutcliffe can run all day and will put in a shift, but will also turn the ball over on every 2nd kick.

I think he plays this week because he played well enough to keep his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he keeps up that quality of f50 entries then he definitely stays in for mine. Bloody refreshing to actually see one of our midfielders kick into the space and to the advantage of our forwards rather than a shallow I50 entry or a long bomb onto Dixons head.

Cracks me up how he does a few good things and is now a hit. I'm happy he managed to do the basic stuff he is paid for, but no way does he deserve his spot in the team.

Clearly Cam has been doing what was asked of him, otherwise he wouldn’t be in the side.

I feel he showed a lot more against Essendon than previous, but I did also notice his running at times which is harder to see on TV.

One example that sticks in my mind is him starting in line with the ball as Essendon exited our f50 and working hard enough to match the next kick and stand the mark. This probably saved a shot on goal as otherwise the next player down field would have had to come up and leave their man free.

A small thing but I reckon it’s been missing at times, especially since Boak moved out of the forward line.

Forwards have to help set up and kick goals though, and Cam has done a little bit of that before this week, but got a bit more of the ball this week and really helped to open up Essendon’s defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back