Toast Cameron Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Since it's the silly season and there isn't much happening this draft week, I am going to take a leaf out of StingBitten 's suggestion at making a review of the year that has been for my buddy, Super Sub No More -- Cam Sutcliffe.

Sutty has obviously come on by leaps and bounds this past season, his 3rd in the AFL system after having been drafted at the bargain basement price of pick #71 in the 2011 National Draft.

After spending most of 2013 as the super sub and impressing the Boss with his gutsy grab of every opportunity given and poise beyond his tender years (some of his 2013 clutch goals after coming on as sub in close game were absolute beauties), Cam has cemented his spot in one of the most solid, difficult to crack back lines in the competition.

Cam is one of the few players who has played 24 games this season, a testament to his value to the team as our runner out of half back and also to his durability despite being a young, developing player still growing into his body. He has been mostly underrated by the (muppet) Victorian media and some (equally muppet) supporters, and unjustly bagged for his costly clangers (admittedly there were a few) rather than praised for his solid performances that displayed a maturity level notches above his actual age.

Squeak has definitely had a good year and looks like he has quite a bit more upside in him to look forward to in 2015.

2014 Season Averages

Games Played - 24

Kicks 10.5
Handballs 5.6
Disposals 16.1
Marks 4.1
Hit-Outs 0.0
Tackles 3.5
Goals 0.2
AFL Fantasy 67.9

Some Great 2014 Sutty Moments (apologies, I've had to go off the Dockertv clips, no fanatic a buddy enough to find moments in other games. ;))

This clip showcases what Sutty's role in our more attacking game plan is meant to be. It's a high risk, high reward spot - hence, when he inevitably gets it wrong, it hurts us big time. But when he gets it right (and the match committee have obviously backed him in to get it right), this is how it looks like.

This long bomb goal during our 4th quarter fightback was a beaut (high risk, high reward)

And if Mundy had slotted the goal, Sutty would have been a hero... (Round 20 v Geelong)

Top stuff. Going to continue to be a more than handy players for us. I can see the SA clubs coming hard for him and Neale in future years, and hopefully leaving empty handed.

I'd back us in, particularly if Ross stays on. It helps that Pav has paved the way and showed the SA boys that the Freo faithful can love 'em just as hard over here in WA, regardless of where they fly in from. ;)

Top stuff. Going to continue to be a more than handy players for us. I can see the SA clubs coming hard for him and Neale in future years, and hopefully leaving empty handed.

Our retention rate for SA players must be extremely high, not having a dig at Adelaide or anything.

Love that goal above too, all the SA boys bar Pav creating the goal.

Sutty could push for a more midfield role this year, he has class and oozes poise as well as being fiercely accountable.

I noticed that the "future Mundy" movement gathered a bit of momentum last year, his talents are wasted in defence while at the same time we could be playing a better defender in his spot as well. To be brutally honest I am one of those in favour of turfing Crowley, having Mzungu (or MDB even) replace him and have Sutlciffe move into Mzungu's "everyman" utility type role.

Not to denigrate either Sutty's defending or Crowley's tagging but those are just areas I feel we can improve that extra 10-15% we'll need.

Sutty could push for a more midfield role this year, he has class and oozes poise as well as being fiercely accountable.

I don't mind having class in the backline, and Sutcliffe provides drive from there. Plus like many on here I have a dream that we will see a whole lot more of Morabito, Crozier, Sheridan and Sylvia, and they will all be looking at the midfield for opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough of a campaigner IMO. Like Bas said: "I'm a big-nosed dickhead that everybody hates".

Woops, wrong quote. Like Bas said, you need a bit of a "nasty streak".

Takes a special type to absorb the slings and arrows and not respond
Doubt if any of the mentioned so far have the strength of body and mind to accept the treatment thats handed out.

Always been a huge fan. Yes he can make some clangers, but so does Fyfe, yet no one complains. People like to overlook the positives of Sutcliffe's game and focus on the small amount of mistakes.

Big tick from me and can only see him getting better from here. A real humble and underrated guy.

one thing I love about Sutcliffe is that he regularly seems to be in involved in altercations and niggle, especially before the bounce, which is surprising as he seems like such a quiet and humble kid... so either he has a bit of a mouth on him, or the opposition are taking offence to being matched up with and pushed around by a skinny 'nobody' - either way, i like it :)

I don't think there are many (any?) left on this board that haven't accepted Sutty as a gun.
I keep waiting for one of the commentators to mention him other than to call his name.
Say something like, wow this kid went at 73 in the draft and he can really play or even to make mention of how much drive he provides and how cool his head is but they just keep calling his name. Its like he's invisible. Even Neale started to get heaps of plaudits this year. I guess thats why the Brownlow is a midfielders medal.

What I love most about him is that he's fallen in love with the seaside lifestyle, and was trying to catch a wave at South Beach. Nawwww... that's so cute!! My kids used to get 30cm waves the last 5m into shore on their boogie boards when they were 5! It's rad out there! What a sweetie! ;)

one thing I love about Sutcliffe is that he regularly seems to be in involved in altercations and niggle, especially before the bounce, which is surprising as he seems like such a quiet and humble kid... so either he has a bit of a mouth on him, or the opposition are taking offence to being matched up with and pushed around by a skinny 'nobody' - either way, i like it :)

Yes, great kid. The scuffle with Puopolo comes to mind in R21. Given Sandi stepped in, it was lucky for Puopolo that he was wearing brown shorts that day.
No coincidence that he was seen soon thereafter scurrying across to the interchange for a quick change of attire.

I don't think there are many (any?) left on this board that haven't accepted Sutty as a gun.
I keep waiting for one of the commentators to mention him other than to call his name.
Say something like, wow this kid went at 73 in the draft and he can really play or even to make mention of how much drive he provides and how cool his head is but they just keep calling his name. Its like he's invisible. Even Neale started to get heaps of plaudits this year. I guess thats why the Brownlow is a midfielders medal.

I'd rather he just kept flying under the radar ;)

Big props to my buddy for cracking the Doig Top 10 (and not just scraping in!) and being awarded Player of the Finals. I look forward to Sutty cementing his status as one of the Freo's best (if underrated) players. Hoping for a big 2015 from the Super Sub No More.

Cam wasn't out there today, the freo presser on AFL.com reports that "Cam Sutcliffe is only being managed as he has had issues with his feet in the past". To which Lloyd adds, "Cam is a fairly durable player. He'll be back within the program before too long."

Can anyone recall Sutcliffe having foot problems in the past? Or is it something that's always been handled quietly? Just interested as I see Cam as one of the guys to drive the team forward next year.

Cam wasn't out there today, the freo presser on AFL.com reports that "Cam Sutcliffe is only being managed as he has had issues with his feet in the past". To which Lloyd adds, "Cam is a fairly durable player. He'll be back within the program before too long."

Can anyone recall Sutcliffe having foot problems in the past? Or is it something that's always been handled quietly? Just interested as I see Cam as one of the guys to drive the team forward next year.

there were rumors around this time last year of Cam being in a moonboot, but nothing ever confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back