Toast Cameron Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam wasn't out there today, the freo presser on AFL.com reports that "Cam Sutcliffe is only being managed as he has had issues with his feet in the past".

Can anyone recall Sutcliffe having foot problems in the past? Or is it something that's always been handled quietly? Just interested as I see Cam as one of the guys to drive the team forward next year.

He did come off limping during the Sydney final hurt and can't be certain but I thought that was a knock to the knee? Played the Port final so may be unrelated or may have aggravated an old injury.

Watched the first game this season against Collingwood last night. He was very good in a very good team. Anyone who thinks we are on the way down should watch that match. The young talent played soooooo well.

I am a big fan of Sutcliffe, always have been but I think we still haven't seen his very best.

I expect his strength to improve so he can hold his position in a contest, his fitness to improve so he can get to more contests and his experience to grow so he knows where to be and what to do with the ball more frequently.

After that it's a matter of his natural disposal skills moving the ball on. That's why I think the size and skill of a player are two of the most important draft traits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might actually change my sig so idea this catches on even further, full time he is going to be a midfielder his skill set is simply too valuable to waste down back.

The back-line is the worst position to have poor disposal. Mistakes there leak goals. I like the idea of him running off half back, delivering to the Hill brothers.

Could he take over Mundy's role in the the middle eventually?

I'd like him to play a run with role in the middle like K. Jack from Sydney. Not full tag like Crowley but to be accountable for a mid and then rebound off to deliver to the leading forwards.

His can run all day and his disposal is very precise.

Just wondering what everyone thought of Sutty's year?

Can't help but feel a little disappointed myself, I thought this year we would see Cam breakout.

He was solid enough for the most part but had that bad patch that saw him dropped to Peel. Was hoping he might play a few games in the midfield. I thought and still think he would be a suitable upgrade on D Pearce.

While he doesn't have the speed of Pearce he has much better skills and would improve the quality of our i50's.

Like Sherro he's not a natural defender, feel like we're wasting his talent down back.

Just wondering what everyone thought of Sutty's year?

Can't help but feel a little disappointed myself, I thought this year we would see Cam breakout.

He was solid enough for the most part but had that bad patch that saw him dropped to Peel. Was hoping he might play a few games in the midfield. I thought and still think he would be a suitable upgrade on D Pearce.

While he doesn't have the speed of Pearce he has much better skills and would improve the quality of our i50's.

Like Sherro he's not a natural defender, feel like we're wasting his talent down back.
Seems to be exposed by a lack of pace when matched up on small forwards and ball watches a bit, i.e. against Tory Dickson

Seems to be exposed by a lack of pace when matched up on small forwards and ball watches a bit, i.e. against Tory Dickson
So I'm not the only one to notice.
I was a bit of a fan of his in 2014, but he has been costing Freo big time in 2015.
Most Freo games, I study my recordings and look at every goal kicked by both sides. The number of times I have seen the opposition evade or run off him that has led to a goal is very worrying. Going in to the Prelim vs Hawks I was concerned the Hawks would exploit him (and possibly Sheridan) as a weakness. I saw Sutcliffe involved in six of Hawthorns goals, where I think he should have done much better. People love bagging Dawson, yet I only had him down as being involved in one of the opposition goals and that was when McEvoy dealt with him too easily, but even on that occassion, Mzungu and Sutcliffe could have easily came in as 3rd man up in that marking contest, but they both chose to stay close by on their men and watch.

I really hope Sutcliffe can improve in the areas I find concerning, because he does plenty of good. In 2014 he offered a bit of rebounding run, but that seems to have gone this year.

He's just not a defender. I've never seen him as anything other than a stopgap solution. Brady Grey needs to make the spot his own next year and allow Sutty to push up the ground to his natural habitat. I have a feeling Lyon has him pigeonholed as one though (back pocket) and I'm not convinced he'll ever be able to truly flourish at Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back