Toast Cameron Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm suprised that he doesn't have legs like Fyfe yet. They live together, is it too much to ask that he tries to become Fyfe 2.0?
Maybe he's just a couple of years behind Fyfe's development. He only just dislocated his shoulder this year, so a couple more years before he bulks up the legs.

I was actually thinking about Sutty yesterday. In his first patch of games after he established himself his dash off half back and link up play was a real feature of his game. He's a great penetrating kick and would often kick out and then run to the middle of the ground and be involved again in a chain. That seemed to just go out the window this year and our defensive transition was the poorer for it. He seemed to go into his shell.

I was actually thinking about Sutty yesterday. In his first patch of games after he established himself his dash off half back and link up play was a real feature of his game. He's a great penetrating kick and would often kick out and then run to the middle of the ground and be involved again in a chain. That seemed to just go out the window this year and our defensive transition was the poorer for it. He seemed to go into his shell.
Yeah, unfortunately spurr appeared to be doing most of the kicking from the back fifty and his kicking has gone back to being as bad as when he first got here. He was terrific this year Spurr but his kicking was total crap.

Spurr's problem is that he always has an enormous windup on his kicks (unless going short). He's also quite indecisive - though not as indecisive as Ibbo, who is a terrific interceptor but the absolute master of letting some more polar glaciers melt before his brain kicks into gear!

Sutcliffe was terrible in the earlier part of the season, having lost his fairly polished kicking skills completely...and when you're probably the most creative disposal in the back six, and not good man on man, it stood out like a sore thumb. He did recover somewhat, but largely by becoming less visible instead of more prominent.

Unless he gets back to being Duffield's replacement as the half back distributor (which also means alternating kick ins with Johnson), I can't see how he can stay a viable as a defender - he's still too light, concedes too many goals to sharp forwards and seems most at home creating play rather than stopping it.

He just isnt suited to the roll RTB wants, that attacking defender, the Suckling, Murphy or Sheppard types.

He has a big kick (but its rarely seen) and he has a tank to run out the whole game, other than that, well, 1 on 1 he is the worst in the back 6 and his skills are terrible under pressure. Clearly there isnt a player that is better than him in the squad for that role and therein lies the problem.

Christmas wishlist, A small defender with speed and a mid size attacking defender with speed, preferably two different players but would settle for it being the one guy. Someone that can get and run the ball from a spoil or hand pass in the back 50 rather than just stop and slam it on the boot. Hill played the roll very well when moved back but he is one of the best wingmen in the game and thats robbing Peter only to pay Paul not as much.

We saw almost nothing coast to Coast from the Dockers this year. Sutty's involvements in coast to coasts was a feature before 2015.

Where do we see Sutty over the next 4 years at Freo? This time last year we talked about him transitioning into the midfield. I think he has the fitness and the skill to be a great outside midfielder and has the mature body to get his own ball if required. I think Ross cluld trust him to block and guard space too.

If Sutcliffe and Bennell replace Subes and De Boer we dramatically increase our ability to move the ball forward efficiently. Then we could give Grey a shot at being a shutdown small defender.

Has he missed his chance at a spot in the midfield?

Has he missed his chance at a spot in the midfield?

No but with out recent drafts and bringing in Bennell, his window is probably closing for a permanent spot. With the decrease in interchanges, more and more players will probably be rotating through the midfield and that should include Sutty.

If Sutcliffe and Bennell replace Subes and De Boer we dramatically increase our ability to move the ball forward efficiently. Has he missed his chance at a spot in the midfield?
Agree. Like to try Sutcliffe on a wing and Hill off half back. RTB spoke about Hill at half back during preseason last year but it didn't really eventuate. I hope that is a luxury we can now afford and try with Sutcliffe, Bennell and the newbies, Langdon and Weller stepping into the midfield. Hill as a distributor cutting a swathe appeals.

He will need to continue to improve regardless of where he plays. Competition is going to be hot there with Grey and Balic coming. Plus it seems possible Morabito may come back from the defensive side of centre.

He will need to continue to improve regardless of where he plays. Competition is going to be hot there with Grey and Balic coming. Plus it seems possible Morabito may come back from the defensive side of centre.

Agree but he does have experience on his side over those guys and I think we'll see him bulk up a bit over this pre-season which'll help. He's at an age now where he should be absolutely flogged in the gym.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sutty has an awesome set of skills and a decent tank... but... He doesn't have the best set of defensive awareness. Which isn't a problem if he isn't playing down back. He won't ever be able to lock down a small forward but his run off halfback is awesome for us. We almost need him to be able to take over Ibbos role and let Ibbo do a bit more defensively as he's a jet at it.

I am not meaning to dump on Sutcliffe, who I like and think is quite handy. But it seems to me that we are getting quite a few options for where he is currently playing. In the past this has raised the idea that he could slide into the midfield, but we are going to be trying to squeeze Bennell, Weller and Morabito into the midfield with no apparent vacancies.

This kind of dilemma is exactly what we need. Pretty sure that Sutcliffe is aware that he has some things to improve as he comes across as fairly professional.

It's going to be tough couple of years ahead for Sutcliffe with plenty of competition for his spot in the B22, especially if we play three talls in defence (eg Johnson, Dawson and A.Pearce). Ibbotson and Spurr would be pretty safe bets you would think. So Sheridan and Sutcliffe would be holding off the rest. Grey and Hughes are both looking good. And then you have Tucker and even Nyhuis coming through with pretty impressive skills from the training reports. I also think there is more chance one of our midfielders (eg Hill) playing off the half back line more than Sutcliffe finding a spot in our midfield. He seems pretty professional though so no doubt it will Spurr him on to improve even further.

I am not meaning to dump on Sutcliffe, who I like and think is quite handy. But it seems to me that we are getting quite a few options for where he is currently playing. In the past this has raised the idea that he could slide into the midfield, but we are going to be trying to squeeze Bennell, Weller and Morabito into the midfield with no apparent vacancies.

This kind of dilemma is exactly what we need. Pretty sure that Sutcliffe is aware that he has some things to improve as he comes across as fairly professional.

Like he gets a choice living with Fyfe!!!

Like he gets a choice living with Fyfe!!!
fyfe
/fʌɪf/

noun
a person who refuses to accept any standard short of perfection.
"he dreamed of one day becoming a fyfe"
synonyms: purist, stickler for perfection
verb
make (something) completely free from faults or defects; make as good as possible.
“she’s been trying her best to fyfe it all day long”
synonyms: improve, make perfect, bring to perfection, better, polish

Sutty had a rough time last season having to spend all the game on the field, which won't be getting any better this coming season.

He could really excel as a midfielder if he gets a rest once in a while.

How did you rate his finals campaign?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back