Cameron White - the bear is in rare form!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Cam White has returned from the wilderness.

No only is his run feast continuing - 83 & 61 against the Warriors...

...he's taking wickets again - 17 overs 4 maidens 4 for 38.

Cam White has returned from the wilderness.

No only is his run feast continuing - 83 & 61 against the Warriors...

...he's taking wickets again - 17 overs 4 maidens 4 for 38.

Says a fair bit about WA and playing leg spin.

Which in turn says a bit about Ahmed's 6 fer.

The thread is clearly about Cam White and first post in you are in to Ahmed again :)

And the fact remains that leg spin wickets against WA shouldn't and don't mean s**t.

If White can put together a good season with the bat and a few centuries then maybe he should deserve consideration again.

Must every player who puts together a couple of decent performances in a row be considered a test candidate?

And the fact remains that leg spin wickets against WA shouldn't and don't mean s**t.

If White can put together a good season with the bat and a few centuries then maybe he should deserve consideration again.

Must every player who puts together a couple of decent performances in a row be considered a test candidate?

The best way to kick the selection door down is make lots of runs or take lots of wickets. Nothing new there.

White is doing that and Ahmed's 6 for against WA has strengthened his Test claims whether it appeals to you or not ;)

The best way to kick the selection door down is make lots of runs or take lots of wickets. Nothing new there.

White is doing that and Ahmed's 6 for against WA has strengthened his Test claims whether it appeals to you or not ;)

Except in White's case the horse has bolted. White is a classic case of being decidedly average at most things cricket - below average in bowling, above average in catching and average at batting.

The last thing any national squad, be it Test, one day, 20/20, needs at the moment is more average Victorians.

Except in White's case the horse has bolted. White is a classic case of being decidedly average at most things cricket - below average in bowling, above average in catching and average at batting.

The last thing any national squad, be it Test, one day, 20/20, needs at the moment is more average Victorians.

I don't think for a minute Cam White will add to his 4 Test career. But all he can do is perform and hope, and at present he's in almost career best form with the bat.

White is THE form player of the domestic season thus far - he has ground out runs in the Ryobi on average tracks and then put in a solid performance with the bat and then ripped a few out in the second dig. He needs big tons to have the lights shone in his direction - like Doolan has done today. I'm not writing him off adding to the four caps if he starts producing big tons.

The validity of the criticicsms of the WA lower order against leg spin is valid. North could have played Ahmed with a technique bat yet the others looked to have no idea. I thought he bowled ordinary in the first dig and he was lucky to cash in on some inept batting late. Shaun Graf said similarly on SEN yesterday.

Victoria's inability to pull of a win today has a lot concerned at Jolimont after the first game. Clearly only 1 of Holland or Ahmed will play, but after today and the return of White as a wicket taker (when Ahmed was being caned) has the hierachy thinking that Holland (the man who forced Agar to WA & a former CA contract holder) may get the nod for the NSW game. Watch this space.

White is THE form player of the domestic season thus far - he has ground out runs in the Ryobi on average tracks and then put in a solid performance with the bat and then ripped a few out in the second dig. He needs big tons to have the lights shone in his direction - like Doolan has done today. I'm not writing him off adding to the four caps if he starts producing big tons.

The validity of the criticicsms of the WA lower order against leg spin is valid. North could have played Ahmed with a technique bat yet the others looked to have no idea. I thought he bowled ordinary in the first dig and he was lucky to cash in on some inept batting late. Shaun Graf said similarly on SEN yesterday.

Victoria's inability to pull of a win today has a lot concerned at Jolimont after the first game. Clearly only 1 of Holland or Ahmed will play, but after today and the return of White as a wicket taker (when Ahmed was being caned) has the hierachy thinking that Holland (the man who forced Agar to WA & a former CA contract holder) may get the nod for the NSW game. Watch this space.

Good post. You are right about White and big hundreds. When it comes to batting Boof only talks in 100s, and obviously the coach and selectors talk to each other.

Good post. You are right about White and big hundreds. When it comes to batting Boof only talks in 100s, and obviously the coach and selectors talk to each other.

Yeah. Again western royboy explains part of my point a lot better. White needs a big season with centuries to get the selectors to even consider him again.

Yeah. Again western royboy explains part of my point a lot better. White needs a big season with centuries to get the selectors to even consider him again.

In total agreement. As I stated earlier: "I don't think for a minute Cam White will add to his 4 Test career."

too many overrated average players in the test side already...haddin can't score runs or take catches, hughes...can't score runs...smith, apparently he's come good, scores a handful of runs occasionally usually when the horse has bolted, rogers, 97 years of age, warner, can he stay off the grog and cheeseburgers?
white is 31, he's an above average batsman with a fc average not dissimilar to bailey who was treated as a leg spinner in his first test run.
To be fair he's a considerably better spinner than smith >< :/

When I was a young lad - I got a lot of 30's and 40's - looked great but got out when I really should have been cashing in. A wise man pulled me a side and said "you're a good player but don't pat yourself on the back for getting a nice 30 or 40 - big runs win games 60's, 80's 100s, dont be satisfied with 30's or 40's"

The higher up the ladder you go the the runs required get bigger, our shield runscorers have been decidedly average in years gone past. Quiney IMO deserved his shot at the big dance because he made the runs that entitled him to that chance.

The battle for No.6 is muddled because it's hard to line up the form, Bailey is the front runner on many levels - except red ball runs and he's only going to have one shot at addressing that. Warner is a great white ball player - so why is he here instead of being in india spanking the white ball on postage stamp grounds?

IF White could get 150 against the Blues next week it would make things interesting - leg spin included.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF White could get 150 against the Blues next week it would make things interesting - leg spin included.

White is in good enough nick at the moment to peel off a big 100 next game, but I think Bailey is already pencilled in for Brisbane, and probably deserves to be.

bailey is in good form.
he did well in the shorter form and his continued acquisition of runs and the manner in which he gets runs is good.
he is also capable of building an innings instead of tonking from the start.
Quality player with a brain.

bailey is in good form.
he did well in the shorter form and his continued acquisition of runs and the manner in which he gets runs is good.
he is also capable of building an innings instead of tonking from the start.
Quality player with a brain.

He's taken the step up to international cricket very well and deserves a shot at test level.

Good on White, WA's attack is modest at best it must be said. Let's see how he goes against let's say Tassie with Hilf, Butterworth, Bird and Faulkner bowling at him.

Good on White, WA's attack is modest at best it must be said. Let's see how he goes against let's say Tassie with Hilf, Butterworth, Bird and Faulkner bowling at him.

The WA attack is first class standard though.

But yes runs against Tassie and NSW will mean a lot more.

they are looking at a lot of players in the 29-31 age bracket but there is a feeling he's done.
Yet other players get second, third, fourth chances....(hughes, smith, haddin for 3)
I don't think he's of the calibre we had 10 years ago, punter, haydo's, langer, etc, but he is better than some getting a berth.
That said, Bailey looks cherry ripe.
What he doesn't have in raw talent, he more than makes up with 'brains'. Good balls will get him out, but he'll build an innings (I hope)

Holland will be playing the A-game against England when the Vic/NSW game is on.

The WA attack is first class standard though.

But yes runs against Tassie and NSW will mean a lot more.

Pretty much every state has a high quality bowling attack at the moment. It's only the batting that separates the states.

Below average in bowling is a bit harsh, nearly 200 FC wickets @ just under 40 is a pretty good record for a part timer, North is similar and has a similar average, Smith is one also and has a FC average of 55. Plus, a FC batting average of 40 nowadays is decent enough.

Why should it matter where they come from?

too many overrated average players in the test side already...haddin can't score runs or take catches, hughes...can't score runs...smith, apparently he's come good, scores a handful of runs occasionally usually when the horse has bolted, rogers, 97 years of age, warner, can he stay off the grog and cheeseburgers?
white is 31, he's an above average batsman with a fc average not dissimilar to bailey who was treated as a leg spinner in his first test run.
To be fair he's a considerably better spinner than smith >< :/
Hed be named in the side now if he had NSW next to his name.
Hope the selectors reward players with good form and not on conceived reputation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back