Cameron's Chaos? - the never-ending strife of Cricket West Indies

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Compared to the IPL contracts? Absolutely.

The IPL ran parallel to the carribean four day competition and it was one or the other.

To be fair, given where they physically sit on the planet, and the weather conditions that come with that, it's hard for the Carribean islands to run the "home summer" at other times of the year. The "rainy season" lasts pretty much from May to December there. It's less a matter of trying to f**k people over, than geography and circumstance.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Has Brian Lara done enough for west Indies cricket post retirement? Discuss...

Does he need to? You could ask the same of dozens of former greats. He himself wasn’t always treated brilliantly by the establishment and to be honest, there is next to no correlation between being a good player and a good coach. He’s technically only been fully retired for 7 years (he nominated for the IPL draft as late as 2011 but didn’t attract a bid). He runs a charity and has his fingers in a fair few pies away from cricket. Maybe when he gets a bit older and has had more time out of the game.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
To be fair, given where they physically sit on the planet, and the weather conditions that come with that, it's hard for the Carribean islands to run the "home summer" at other times of the year. The "rainy season" lasts pretty much from May to December there. It's less a matter of trying to f**k people over, than geography and circumstance.
Oh totally. It says more about the BCCI's ambivalence to the Caribbean first class competition. West Indies couldn't compete and had to move it and hope for the best.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has Brian Lara done enough for west Indies cricket post retirement? Discuss...

Silly insinuation.

As amazing a batsman he was, it was pretty apparent that captaincy and leadership wasn't his go during his playing days. Why would he then turn his hand to management post career?

All this upheaval genuinely makes me sad. I grew up in the 90s genuinely barracking for the West Indies (I didn’t know at that stage you were just meant to cheer on Australia). Watching guys like Lara, Chanderpaul, Hooper, Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop and even Sarwan a bit later on was just fantastic.

To this day, one of my best memories was doing a tour of Lord’s and being asked to pick a seat and sit down in the visitor’s changing room. The guide went around to each of us and told us which players used to sit in that spot. I was in Brian Lara’s spot. I was stoked.

I don’t know too much about the politics involved, but just based on cricketing knowledge alone, I’m guessing this hasn’t happened on this scale in the past. Do you think this is a lot to do with Dave Cameron or do you think it was inevitable given the unique nature of West Indies as a cricketing nation made up of different countries?

Back