News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree that it should have been dealt with at the time, but if I was getting slammed by anecdotal accounts from "sources" by the media, to the extent that it was affecting my bottom line, I'd be getting on the front foot about it. The club needs to get on the phone to Gil, the AFLPA, Caro and McClure and sort this sh*t out. Even bloody Essendon arent still being held to ransom by the media. Where's the ongoing reporting of the ill effects of that drug program?

I smell a bloody rat in all of this. It is not normal behaviour for a major organisation to continually let all this stuff go through to the keeper.

I genuinely think it's just gross incompetence.

With every hit we take (and we've had plenty in the last 2-3 years), I'm convinced more and more that one of our biggest failings has been in public relations and communications management.

Some of the decisions we've made around messaging and communications in regards to so many things - not least of which relating to the camp - just beggar belief. We've stayed silent when we absolutely should have been controlling the narrative, and we've talked when we should have just stfu.

Don't get me wrong, there's issue in most corners if or club at the moment. But the perception and impact of these things could have been much different if we just had a semblance of a professional and disciplined comms and PR framework in place to manage them.

Even now, given the club's brand is probably at it's lowest point in our history, I'm astounded we haven't engaged a top flight agency to come in and do some hardcore damage control.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The other thing that puzzles me is the use of a talking stick. It is a pretty stock standard group work technique used in schools and based, from my understanding, in native American Indian culture. It is even detailed in the Queensland Curriculum with an indigenous Australian perspective. As a non indigenous Australian, I struggle to appreciate the intricacies of indigenous culture but it is my understanding that with the vast number of different groups, each has differences in how traditional objects are used. Unfortunately it appears that there was a lack of cultural sensitivity at the time, and while it is NO excuse, in my experience of teaching indigenous students, they can be quiet and not immediately speak up if offended.

I thought that it had been bought in actually by an elder. Problem was it wasn’t an elder from the tribe that owned the stick.

It was just a massive cluster* and here we are going on three years and it is still going on. As I said, this won’t end until we win a flag or everyone even remotely associated with the camp and our administration is gone. And I mean everyone - players, admin etc. Given that, don’t expect this story to finish just yet.

Just for reference, Essendon were fined $200k for their systematic drug injecting program across many months.

I doubt that. Under the act the workplace is not limited in any way geographically. If you think you can interpret the below in any other way I'd like to hear your reasonings.

View attachment 908047
Marshall said on AA this morning it is out if our State's jurisdiction as it was ran out if state by a company based out of SA.

He probably hasn't read that though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The HUGE concern over this camp is that personal information, and sensitive, was given to the people running the camp.
This is what has ruined our club. Not the stupid activities that they performed, but that the club would give away very personal details about players to an absolute idiot.
It’s ruined our club because no one in there right mind that plays there would divulge anything personal to anyone there anymore. You cannot build a strong culture and care for your peers, leaders, coaches and admin if you believe that your trust can be broken to serve a purpose.
Unfortunately I believe that anyone involved in the trust breaking, admin, coach or player who’s trust was broken, has to be moved on at the end of the year. While they remain at the club a strong culture cannot be created as there will always be someone who is not 100% committed to the team.

Marshall said on AA this morning it is out if our State's jurisdiction as it was ran out if state by a company based out of SA.

He sounded quite sheepish in that interview. Hopefully its the end of. Make you so angry that this thing wont just go away. The club need to get some help and find a way to make it right - and move fwd.

He sounded quite sheepish in that interview. Hopefully its the end of. Make you so angry that this thing wont just go away. The club need to get some help and find a way to make it right - and move fwd.

As mentioned above, the problem is we don't say anything, we just let the media bash away. I don't know where this directive of shutting up shop came from (did it start when Fagan arrived?), but it's not working anymore.

We all loved it a first not giving Rucci et al anything, but over time, media have just decided to make up their own agenda, due to our lack of communication.

Then when we try, we wheel out Burton and Pyke, in one of the worst excuses for a presser i've seen. That backfires, so we shut up shop again.

How about just getting someone that is competent out in front of the mic?

With every hit we take (and we've had plenty in the last 2-3 years), I'm convinced more and more that one of our biggest failings has been in public relations and communications management.

Some of the decisions we've made around messaging and communications in regards to so many things - not least of which relating to the camp - just beggar belief. We've stayed silent when we absolutely should have been controlling the narrative, and we've talked when we should have just stfu.

Don't get me wrong, there's issue in most corners if or club at the moment. But the perception and impact of these things could have been much different if we just had a semblance of a professional and disciplined comms and PR framework in place to manage them.

Even now, given the club's brand is probably at it's lowest point in our history, I'm astounded we haven't engaged a top flight agency to come in and do some hardcore damage control.

It‘s almost funny just how wrong the club has been on every decision they‘ve made both on and off field over the last few years... the Club needs to do a collective George Costanza. Whenever faced with a decision, do the complete opposite of what your instincts tell you to do. We will be Premiers in no time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After literally years of tidbits and teasing, Sam’s magnum opus is a bit underwhelming.

Until they act with greater integrity and basically just get better at doing their jobs the club deserves this whack and every subsequent whack they get - we have such low-talent off-field management it’s scary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As mentioned above, the problem is we don't say anything, we just let the media bash away. I don't know where this directive of shutting up shop came from (did it start when Fagan arrived?), but it's not working anymore.

We all loved it a first not giving Rucci et al anything, but over time, media have just decided to make up their own agenda, due to our lack of communication.

Then when we try, we wheel out Burton and Pyke, in one of the worst excuses for a presser i've seen. That backfires, so we shut up shop again.

How about just getting someone that is competent out in front of the mic?

Our performance during the camp aftermath and the infamous presser just beggars belief. Just how bad was our football department during Burton. Who gave Burton that job? Was it principally Roo? It became an insult to supporters.
After Roo sprouted off recently about the ex players and their exorbitant salaries at their new clubs Chapman spoke to the media saying the board/club has a policy not to discuss this stuff with media and that he was sorry? Roo had done so. This minute piece of directive leadership by Chapman is typical of where we are and have been for ten years or so. To the outsider nothing was done after that Burton/Pyke presser even though a blind dog could see the public face of a fractured, poisoned football dept culture. The boys club came up and bit us squarely on the bum thereafter. We are currently paying the price to heal those teeth marks.
There is a fine line to walk in dealing with the media and at best it is not all win win, but the path we have taken under Chapmans watch has been a complete failure. We are damaged goods.

I doubt that. Under the act the workplace is not limited in any way geographically. If you think you can interpret the below in any other way I'd like to hear your reasonings.

View attachment 908047
I was under the impression that SafeWork SA were only able to investigate incidents that took place in SA, which would make sense.

Or is is because we are a South Australian entity ??

Even so, I welcome an investigation.

I remember reading an article a few years back about CM. It wasn't in about AFC at all. One of the points mentioned in the article was that CM were very secretive about the 'camps' they run and expected and encouraged attendees to never discuss what happened outside of the group.

Whilst the club does have a history of not not talking to the media, it was mentioned in McClure's article that the club told the players they had signed NDA's on their behalf. Does make me wonder if the club is also bound too similar in this case.

The Sunday Footy Show talking about it with Mclure.

I think you're absolutely spot on about the PR being completely botched...i know Mclure is public enemy no.1 here, but he also mentions in this video that if the Crows had just been more open and honest when this first came out we wouldn't still be talking about it 3 years later. This is true.

The fact the club has been so secretive and kept denying it was an issue is the reason why journalists like Mclure felt the need to start digging and no doubt certain players felt aggrieved that the club wasn't admitting any fault which would motivate them to leak it to the press...for some form of justice since the club just ignores their concerns internally.

I know some here hate him for seeming to have an agenda against AFC with McGovern & the camp, but part of the media's role IS to dissect big events like this (i mean it's one of the main reasons AFC has gone from a GF to bottom of the ladder) and to expose cover ups. That might be a bit of a strong phrase but it's essentially what AFC's leaders tried to do. They constantly denied it was an issue to the media, seemingly denied it was an issue to their own players since they were going to stick with Collective Minds initially (remember the 100 point thumping to Melbourne when news broke AFC were thinking of continuing with CM?), their answer to the concerns from the indigenous players was simply to remove them from the program, Burton apparently telling the players the club signed NDA's on their behalf so they couldn't talk about the camp, players being instructed not to tell teammates from other groups what happened to them, intentionally leaving out the doctor and welfare people at the club, telling unqualified third parties confidential and sensitive info about the players to use against them...

This s**t should be exposed and arguably it's a good thing for AFC that Mclure is doing this. Keep in mind that if it wasn't for pressure from the media, guys like Burton/Pyke/Campo would probably be still at the club. The club only acted eventually because they were forced too under severe criticism from the media - which then of course spilled to supporters and members. Hopefully the more details come out, the more likely guys like Chapman & Roo get moved on for the betterment of the club.

Last edited:

That would make more sense, I think that would be right.

The Sunday Footy Show talking about it with Mclure.

I think you're absolutely spot on about the PR being completely botched...i know Mclure is public enemy no.1 here, but he also mentions in this video that if the Crows had just been more open and honest when this first came out we wouldn't still be talking about it 3 years later. This is true.

The fact the club has been so secretive and kept denying it was an issue is the reason why journalists like Mclure felt the need to start digging and no doubt certain players felt aggrieved that the club wasn't admitting any fault which would motivate them to leak it to the press...for some form of justice since the club just ignores their concerns internally.

I know some here hate him for seeming to have an agenda against AFC with McGovern & the camp, but part of the media's role IS to dissect big events like this (i mean it's one of the main reasons AFC has gone from a GF to bottom of the ladder) and to expose cover ups. That might be a bit of a strong phrase but it's essentially what AFC's leaders tried to do. They constantly denied it was an issue to the media, seemingly denied it was an issue to their own players since they were going to stick with Collective Minds initially (remember the 100 point thumping to Melbourne when news broke AFC were thinking of continuing with CM?), their answer to the concerns from the indigenous players was simply to remove them from the program, Burton apparently telling the players the club signed NDA's on their behalf so they couldn't talk about the camp, players being instructed not to tell teammates from other groups what happened to them, intentionally leaving out the doctor and welfare people at the club, telling unqualified third parties confidential and sensitive info about the players to use against them...

This sh*t should be exposed and arguably it's a good thing for AFC that Mclure is doing this. Keep in mind that if it wasn't for pressure from the media, guys like Burton/Pyke/Campo would probably be still at the club. The club only acted eventually because they were forced too under severe criticism from the media - which then of course spilled to supporters and members. Hopefully the more details come out, the more likely guys like Chapman & Roo get moved on for the betterment of the club.

What a crock of s**t...8 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Why would the club need to improve communications? They've got a large cohort of the most critical supporter group convinced that the camp is a messaging problem.
Those running our club are very similar to the CCP and the clubs members/supporters are very similar to the Chinese people. There's * all either can do about a corrupt leadership. The Afl wants our money but have never genuunely wanted a strong Afc onfield. We are seen by them as an idiot club run by fools. Afl couldn't care less about us as long as our moronic supporters keep turning up to clap at mediocrity.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that SafeWork SA were only able to investigate incidents that took place in SA, which would make sense.

Or is is because we are a South Australian entity ??

Even so, I welcome an investigation.
No, your employer is still responsible for providing a safe workplace when you travel, so that would still sit under SafeWork SA jurisdiction

Just hope the investigation isn't finalised until after the draft
Yeah thats been my thinking as well. Whilst the AFL has dismissed reopening the camp issue if the State Gov decides to act and finds major issues that might force the AFL's hand. Anyway the concern for me is that the AFL might decide take away our draft picks. On the other side of the ledger if the AFL did decide to reopen then it looks bad for them as it would appear they didnt do due diligence in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back