Camp Findings from Sam McClure

Remove this Banner Ad

Kezza86

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
What pissed the players off was confidential information being released. Those players told this information in confidence to a crow official. Wonder why crows trying to protect a few within the club...

adelaidecrows

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2010
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here's the critical issue:
'players unhappy with the camp' versus 'players traumatised from the camp'.
Way from the beginning McNure and Caro were insinuating emotional trauma, a massive psychological devastation etc.

Here's my understanding of a traumatised victim (eg. war traumas, major MVAs, severe domestic violence, rape victims etc.)
- they'd often go in their shell during the impact of the trauma, functional capacity would likely decline
- they're likely to avoid conversations of their traumatic experiences
- continuing with the above point, they're much more likely to seek help through psychological sessions rather than seeking help through a journalist

Furthermore why would the players (if impacted mentally) seek aid via a journalist all the way from Victoria, and not from local SA?
I get what you were saying. They did use sensationalist language and that's not good enough. But it is upsetting to be told some harsh truths by teammates. No doubt some got their back up

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Putting pieces of the puzzle together.

One key part of the interview with creative minds was the absolute brutal opinion of the players mindset on gf day. As a result they had a massive truth telling session asking players to tell their team mates about how they let them down.

Players are almost certainly going to get offended during this process. And yeah, fractured friendships as a result. Would have been a brutal session. This would have missed the mark entirely and I would almost certainly say it's the reason they were kicked out by the players.

This is exactly what I was told by someone at the camp.

This session destroyed trusts and team chemistry and the person who told me felt CM were amateurish in how they handled/controlled it.

The rest of the camp was pseudo science fluff. But this cut deep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gary Putland, Redbacks, Oz Cricket
Watching The Social Dilemma doco on Netflix right now, highly recommend for anyone who uses social media frequently and have kids that do as well. Anyway, they did studies about news on Twitter and found that fake news spreads 6 times quicker than something that is true.

Just made me think of how easily the outlandish rumours spread about the camp but CM coming out has received zero traction on social media. Basically, the reason they give is that something that is true is usually way more boring than something that has been made up, it’s human nature and social media platforms absolutely feed on it.

This doco is very eye opening and will make you question your social media use.

adelaidecrows

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2010
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide

This session destroyed trusts and team chemistry and the person who told me felt CM were amateurish in how they handled/controlled it.

I know personally, I'd be offended if I was being told I was one of the reasons we lost a gf. It would have had the opposite effect and no doubt lost the players trust. I think judging by the interview collective minds know they missed the mark.

However this is far from the mental torture camp and confidential information from the team psych being aired for team consumption some journos claim.

I personally am fine for them having that session. We cleared out the mediocre dead wood culture as a result.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Football clubs have a history of 360 feedback and similar brutally honest sessions.

This sounds like it was mismanaged or went badly, but it's pretty common.

SaltPeter

"I’m a professional bullshitter"
Suspended
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
What pissed the players off was confidential information being released. Those players told this information in confidence to a crow official. Wonder why crows trying to protect a few within the club...
CM have recently disputed that

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom