Can Alistair Clarkson lead North to a premiership? Or has footy gone past him?

Remove this Banner Ad

So which 4 players come in for those 4, and what have they been achieving in the VFL ?

The two top three picks in Wardlaw and Phillips for one.

Surely they have a few young kids like Ford and Spicer who they can give ten to fifteen games to see if they make the cut.

What's the point getting smashed with the likes of list cloggers like Howe and Tucker?

How does a coach, a club, follow up a 3 peat anyway?

Usually by a period of less success. No surprise. Equalization effects each year etc.

Though, there were voices all through the post 2016 era that there was another way to go for the Hawks. Decisions are made at the time, you live with them.

Surprised to see Hawthorn supporters (granted it's a minority) in here taking pot-shots at Clarko and wishing him failure. Really? After what he delivered to the club? Seriously...really??

On topic, can a North supporter highlight some of the gaps in your list now that you've seen enough this season. And not experience as experience will come with more games into the kids.

Can you also call out your top 10 draft picks on your list and what you'll likely end up with this year. I think it would look quite promising in terms of kids on the list.

Surely they have a few young kids like Ford and Spicer who they can give ten to fifteen games to see if they make the cut.

What's the point getting smashed with the likes of list cloggers like Howe and Tucker?

Because they wont ever drop their shoulders and are an example of reslience.

How are Wardlaw and Phillips going in the VFL ?

And Ford and Spicer ?

We have a huge gap in our 24-28 year old players. All our talent is either kids or over 30 (JZ, Goldy, Cunnington). LDU, Simpkin, Zurharr can’t do it all. Jury is out on Taylor and Scott. McDonald, Corr, Hall, Turner, Howe, Tucker and even McKay at the moment are plodders. List is horribly unbalanced.

And Ford and Spicer ?
Wardlaw not fit enough. Spicer won’t make it. Ford is ok, contracted for another year so has time. We should be playing Bergman, Phillips, Drury and Goater.

Fair bit of deja vu with what’s going on at North with match selection.

We won our first two with Bergman and Goater playing. We are getting belted week in week out atm, I’d bring them all in and drop Turner, Hall, Howe and Corr. Hall in particular is a horrible footballer, just an absolute fraud.

Hall has always looked like he can be better than Houli and Saad and be one of the great HBF but yeah, his impact really isnt there.

Much more like JJ (Dogs) who is massively overrated and never should have got the Norm Smith.

Howe is a known entity. He is always going to do a couple of good things but also a couple of absolute shockers which will cost goals. But he never stops trying.

Hall has always looked like he can be better than Houli and Saad and be one of the great HBF but yeah, his impact really isnt there.

Much more like JJ (Dogs) who is massively overrated and never should have got the Norm Smith.

Howe is a known entity. He is always going to do a couple of good things but also a couple of absolute shockers which will cost goals. But he never stops trying.
Yeah I can see why we got Howe and Tucker and Shiels (who has been solid to be fair). We desperately need mature bodies and solid B graders in the 24-28 bracket. Howe is D grade sadly. Tucker is C grade, maybe some scope for improvement…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Ford and Spicer ?

Gee if the KPI to get in a Clarkson side is to not drop your shoulders and stiff upper lip in the face of a 15 goal shellacking he's lost it more than I could have imagined. Huge drop in his standards.

Turner is averaging 8 touches a game. He's not a kid. He's not providing pressure. He's not hitting the scoreboard. He's wasting a spot on the field.

Tucker and Howe barely a dozen touches each. If a top three pick mid can't wrack up ten touches they're a long way back. Give them a crack.

I love Clarko. Very thankful for what he's done at the club and will join Jeans and Kanga as our greatest. At the same time I'm glad we moved him on so we don't have to suffer watching the same spuds being unjustifiably picked while young up and comers wonder WTF they have to do to get a look at selection.

How does a coach, a club, follow up a 3 peat anyway?

Usually by a period of less success. No surprise. Equalization effects each year etc.

Though, there were voices all through the post 2016 era that there was another way to go for the Hawks. Decisions are made at the time, you live with them.
Absolutely you do, and if any coach in comp had the runs on the board to have it his way and have people believe he could do it, it was Clarkson.

The issue that seemed to take over was that Clarkson has what looks to be an unhealthy love for role players over kids who might not be able to be as consistent in a role.
Sure it’s a fine balance, but North have a lot of kids who need time together to develop, and Clarkson himself has said that he’s not quite sure what that balance looks like(whole continuing to play re-treads) - even with a clear view that North should be all about the future.

Gee if the KPI to get in a Clarkson side is to not drop your shoulders and stiff upper lip in the face of a 15 goal shellacking he's lost it more than I could have imagined. Huge drop in his standards.

Turner is averaging 8 touches a game. He's not a kid. He's not providing pressure. He's not hitting the scoreboard. He's wasting a spot on the field.

Tucker and Howe barely a dozen touches each. If a top three pick mid can't wrack up ten touches they're a long way back. Give them a crack.

I love Clarko. Very thankful for what he's done at the club and will join Jeans and Kanga as our greatest. At the same time I'm glad we moved him on so we don't have to suffer watching the same spuds being unjustifiably picked while young up and comers wonder WTF they have to do to get a look at selection.

The point is, who at the VFL level is ready to step up and wont be ruined by being belted every week.

As a Roos supporter above said, they could delist 20 with minimal impact.

They are just starting a proper rebuild.

The point is, who at the VFL level is ready to step up and wont be ruined by being belted every week.

As a Roos supporter above said, they could delist 20 with minimal impact.

They are just starting a proper rebuild.

Starting a proper rebuild? WTF were the last three seasons?
Are North watching too much Xzibit?

Yo dawg we heard you like rebuilds so we started another rebuild while you are in your rebuild?

I'd have to make North my pick for the spoon at this stage of the three current stand-out candidates. There could be a number of teams with fewer than six wins this year. Currently Hawthorn look competitive most weeks, West Coast are decimated by injuries, North aren't looking competitive and the injury list isn't particularly long.

Starting a proper rebuild? WTF were the last three seasons?
Are North watching too much Xzibit?

Yo dawg we heard you like rebuilds so we started another rebuild while you are in your rebuild?

North have had a pretty big turnover of key off-field positions in the last few years. It's not really feasible to go through a rebuild when you're going through multiple coaches. Most of the players on our list have had between 3-5 coaches.

I think it's pretty clear with the footy department turnover that happened last year that North are moving in a new direction. Unfortunately that means there's a bit more pain to come lol

Clarko Hawks after 7 rounds in 2005 1 win (lions mcg record anyone) and a narrow loss. Same as hawks 2004.

Makeup of premiership team 2008:

Drafted prior to Clarko- hodge Mitchell brown Osborne Taylor Campbell ladson williams sewell Crawford croad (also traded)
Drafted after Clarko - Roughead Franklin Lewis Ellis rioli young Birchall renouf

Traded in after Clarko - gilham guerra dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back