Can Alistair Clarkson lead North to a premiership? Or has footy gone past him?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a pretty tough few years for North supporters. Most North fans just want to see improved player development, performance on the field and some more wins. This thread is probably 3-5 years too early. Only then will questions such as Has Norths young players improved significantly? and Has Clarko adapted his gameplan to suit modern footy? be answered.

The same questions can be pointed to Ross Lyon except Ross has been out of the game for longer.

Not a big fan of the question posed in the title.

It suggests there is a strict "dichotomy" of options available - premiership or "past it"

So, so many things have to go right to win a flag, with a great number of them out of the coaches control (even a healthy dose of 'luck' itself is required of any premier).

This is especially true for the 'starting position' North finds itself in.

Clarkson could still be a quality coach (and a premiership capable coach for that matter) without North ever actually winning the flag. I suspect the likelihood is that Clarko will fall somewhere between the two extremes in his time at North.

It suggests there is a strict "dichotomy" of options available - premiership or "past it"

So, so many things have to go right to win a flag, with a great number of them out of the coaches control (even a healthy dose of 'luck' itself is required of any premier).

Clarkson could still be a quality coach (and a premiership capable coach for that matter) without North ever actually winning the flag. I suspect the likelihood is that Clarko will fall somewhere between the two extremes in his time at North.
I get what you are saying, but I think you are overlooking the word “can”, as opposed to “will”. Just whether he is capable of it, not whether it actually happens.

Melbourne looked completely cooked when Roos took over.

It’s not just the head coach that needs to change, but there’s a lot of moving parts in clubs and it’s easy to call them poor while they’re down.

Still a lot of work to do, but at least off the field the Roos are in a decent position. They need to translate this into wins on the field and find some more stability in a couple of other departments, especially their footy program and with their list management.
If their footy program and list management is lacking stability then that's what they are going to be, a poor club. North are a team going through a full rebuild and aren't doing enough IMO to bring in extra high draft picks and established players as well as losing former high draft picks, it's all happening too slowly there for them.

Clarkson is one piece of many many pieces that need to be put together before they are anything other than poor.

Clarkson will do his role and do it well, but what of the rest of the footy department, even if he does his job the perfection they aren't going to do any good if the list manager and recruitment team and player development etc is not up to scratch. The thing is if it's not, with Clarkson there there is a good chance they are going to hear about it.

Cattle is there just needs time

Plus a pick 2 and 3 this year helps along with the 2 first rounders next year

Just interested in who you think this cattle is? LDU and Zurhaar have potential but they are both 24 so need to get a move along. Early picks don't always eventuate into guns.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how many
Well it makes things intersting.

The last person in the VFL or AFL to get their 5th flag as coach was Norm Smith in 1964. That what I have heard.

Tom Hafey, Leigh Matthews, and Kevin Sheedy have tried and failed to get that 5th flag as coach

If he doesn't it could be a similar situation to Kanga Kennedy.

Came in 85 from Hawthorn (albeit a longer time out of coaching), didn't win a flag but layed the groundwork, left in 89, and we know what happened under Pagan.
And yet no one here talks about the ground work on what Ron Barrassi did at the demons from 1981-5 and Robert Walls did at Brisbane from 1991-5.

Ron Barrassi culled that list. Played a lot of youth. Some of those blokes that had their debut games under Barrassi eventually were players that played in that 1987 preliminary final and 1988 grand final loss to the hawks.

Robert Walls gave debut games to guys like Voss, Lappin, leppitch, Darryl White etc. They were part of that 2001-04 grand final side.

It’s generally accepted kanga was good for north, without winning a flag

Jeans defies the past it logic too

Well it makes things intersting.

The last person in the VFL or AFL to get their 5th flag as coach was Norm Smith in 1964. That what I have heard.

Tom Hafey, Leigh Matthews, and Kevin Sheedy have tried and failed to get that 5th flag as coach
+ Parkin Jeans and Barrass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just interested in who you think this cattle is? LDU and Zurhaar have potential but they are both 24 so need to get a move along. Early picks don't always eventuate into guns.
Wrong, LDU is 23 and will be until June next year. Wrong again, LDU has shown enough to suggest he is going to be a gun.

Wrong, LDU is 23 and will be until June next year. Wrong again, LDU has shown enough to suggest he is going to be a gun.

I was referring to your picks this year when I mentioned early picks. And that still doesn't answer my question about what cattle you have.

With Alistair Clarkson taking up the reins at North on Wednesday, the question needs to be asked: can he put lightning in a bottle again or has the game gone past him?

Is he Leigh Matthews going to Brisbane or is he Denis Pagan going to Carlton?

He's got a list with lots of young talent but also lots of holes.

He's also got two top three draft picks to play with this year.

Will he try and use his old tactics here, or does he have something new up his sleeve.

(Please note this thread is for footy talk only, all posts about the ongoing investigation into allegations of racism at Hawthorn belong in this thread.)

When he does it, it’ll make him the GOAT.

LDU is a good chance at winning the Brownlow next season.

LDU is a potential gun. No one would deny that. But one player doesn't make cattle. Who else is there?

With Alistair Clarkson taking up the reins at North on Wednesday, the question needs to be asked: can he put lightning in a bottle again or has the game gone past him?

Is he Leigh Matthews going to Brisbane or is he Denis Pagan going to Carlton?

He's got a list with lots of young talent but also lots of holes.

He's also got two top three draft picks to play with this year.

Will he try and use his old tactics here, or does he have something new up his sleeve.
I won't deny North Melbourne have a lot of young talent coming through. The concern is the quality's of young talent.

Saying that.... You would be crazy to compare what Clarkson had at the Hawks when he 1st stepped in 2004

Clarkson had 2 young gun tall forwards In roughy and Buddy. Also had 2 solid inside mids in Mitchell and Hodge.

North have some solid kids in My Simpkin, Luke Davis Uniacke and Tom Powell.

Would be an amazing achievement of Clarkson gets a flag at North by 2026 or 2027

No AFL or VFL coach has won 5 flags as coach since 1964.

Got more of a chance of Vince Russo running the AFL or WWE or AEW LoL

Maybe more of a chance of Vince McMahon coming out of retirement. But I believe in Clarko!

Just like George Michael you've got to have faith faith faithhhhh oowwww

I heard he lost everything in crypto and needed a cushy job where he can put his feet up and there’s no KPI he just has to turn up clock on and clock off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back