Competition Can-Am Premiership 2017 - Season Discussion Thread - Postseason

Vote once (either YES or NO) for each proposal. (Full details for each proposal at top of OP)

• Proposal 1 (Shorts colour/uniform colour rule change):

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Proposal 2 (Alternate Uniform to become 3rd Uniform):

• Proposal 3 (Single Manufacturer 2017 Trial):

• Proposal 3.1 (Set Manufacturer Logo Postition {if single manufacturer}):

• Proposal 4 (Use of Canada 150 Logo for Canadian Teams):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Can-Am%20New%20New_zpseoxvdvzf.png

Welcome to the Can-Am Premiership 2017 Pre-Season thread. The reason for this thread going up so quickly after the final is due to the late start and finish to the 2016 season. The 2017 season is due to kick off towards the end of June. The time between allows for the discussion of changes to the competition rules, as well as voting on them to determine if they are implemented, plus giving people time to work on their entries in an attempt to reduce the number of entries submitted on or after the deadline.

With that we are now on the road to

Can-Am%20Bowl%20III%20logo_zpsvonhcgmn.png

The following posts feature relevant information and the requirements for all teams in terms of designs, as well as relevant logos.

Last edited:
OFFICIAL UNIFORM GUIDE
  • All guernseys MUST be Adidas branded and feature the Adidas 3 stripes somewhere on the Guernsey (position is up to the designer and may change across all three designs). The Adidas logo may also be positioned wherever the designer chooses so long as it appears on the guernsey and is clearly visible (can also be included on a jock tag or inside the collar, but only in addition to the main logo). Adidas logo must also feature on the shorts (right side facing).
  • All designs (Home, Away, 3rd) must be on the same template.
  • Home Guernseys must be at least 51% white.
  • Home Shorts may be any colour.*
  • Home Socks must be at least 33% white.
  • Away Guernseys must be at least 51% coloured.
  • Away Shorts may be any colour, including being the same as the home and/or alternate.*
  • Away Socks must be at least 33% coloured, cannot be the same as the Home or 3rd.
  • 3rd Guernsey may be anything, outlandish designs are encouraged.
  • 3rd Shorts may be any colour, can be the same as Home and/or Away.*
  • 3rd Socks may be any colour, cannot be the same as Home or Away.
*Shorts may be the same design across the three designs if the designer chooses to do so.
  • Sponsor to appear in usual AFL front position (right side facing)
  • Player name to appear below the number on the back (usual sponsor position)
  • Numbers on the back must feature number logo (found here).
  • Numbers must appear on the front of the guernsey, same font as back, cannot be more than 50% the size of the back, number colour does not need to match the back.
  • Number must appear on the shorts (left side facing), same font as back of the guernsey, size no larger than 50% of the back number, colour does not need to match back number.
  • Conference logo must appear above number on the back (cannot be recoloured)
  • Champions logo (found here) must appear on Indiana and Miami kits only.
  • Team logos not required, but would be appreciated if your team makes the playoffs (for visuals)
NO DESIGNS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR SUBMISSION UNTIL A NOTIFICATION IS MADE, however I will now allow people to ask if a design is ok and meets guidelines. However do not expect an immediate response. I will try and get back to you as soon as possible but this may not always be possible.

Last edited:

Submission of entries:

Entry submissions will open on May 19 2017 8:45pm and will close on June 30 11:59:59pm AEST. No entries will be accepted before this time.

Entries must be submitted through PM, any image hosting site is acceptable (even Photobucket), however links will NOT be accepted, the PM must contain your entry as an image, if you send just links or images acting as links, they will not be counted and penalties may apply if the mistake is not corrected prior to the closing of entries. Also please check you entries with the guidelines (which can be found in the OP) before submitting as I would like to not have to tell people that they have not met the criteria when they are clearly stated.

When submitting please use the PM title: 2017 Can-Am Entry: *Replace with your team name*. This will allow me to quickly and easily find your submission should any issues arise.

Also as you have a month and a half to submit and have had plenty of time to work on your designs up until this point, penalties this year for not submitting on time will be more severe than last year.

Failure to submit or failure to submit correctly before closing will face the following penalties:

Days 1-2: Automatic 2 losses counted on team record for every day late.

Day 3: Unable to finish 1st in Conference no matter final record.

Days 4-5: Automatic 2 losses counted on team record for every day late.

Day 6: Unable to finish 1st in Conference no matter final record (can only qualify as a wild card).

Day 7: Unable to qualify for finals no matter final record.

Day 8: Automatic exclusion from future competition.

Last edited:
Proposals for changes to the competition that would be implemented for the 2017 season.

These are only proposals at this stage and are open for editing/modification with suggestions/feedback encouraged:

• Removal of shorts colour rule for home and away kits. Shorts will be able to be of any colour of the designers choosing, and can also be interchangeable between all designs (basically a single pair of shorts across all designs if the designer decides to do so). Guernsey must be majority white (51% minimum) at home and coloured away. Socks must feature at least 33% white at home and can be any colour away, but must be different on all three designs (cannot be interchanged), however can be based on the same design (i.e. recoloured).
  • Removal of specialty uniforms and reverting to Home, Away, and Alternate uniforms only.
  • Alternate uniforms to become 3rd uniform program, where outlandish designs are not only permitted but encouraged. Will be on the same template as home and away uniforms.
  • Single uniform manufacturer to be introduced. Choice to be made by through an open poll, with majority decision. However, each manufacturer would come with specific design rules that would have to feature on each guernsey design (e.g. Adidas 3 stripes, Hummel chevrons, Kappa logos, Nike shoulders {like current football kit template}, etc.). This would allow for any templates and collars to be used, but would mean that all designs would feature a similar design element. Manufacturers will be able to be suggested by anyone, but each suggestion would also have to include what common design element will be used if selected.
  • Specific location for Conference logo to continue (on back above number) as will the inability to recolour the logos, but specific location for manufacturer logo to be added if single manufacturer introduced (location will be determined if/when manufacturer is chosen).

----------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to discuss these proposals in this thread and at some stage a vote will be added to this thread to determine whether the proposals are adopted or rejected. Also any submitted logos will also be voted upon if there are any/if there is a need.

Last edited:
I haven't researched design elements but it would be interesting to try Majestic or Under Armor as manufacturers that have a strong sports presence in North America but limited exposure in Australia (outside of BBL and soon, Brisbane).

+1 for Under Armour.

I think the UA idea looked great on Oakland last season, and would love to incorporate the jersey cut they use on the Southampton jerseys.

southampton-16-17-third-kit-3.jpg

I haven't researched design elements but it would be interesting to try Majestic or Under Armor as manufacturers that have a strong sports presence in North America but limited exposure in Australia (outside of BBL and soon, Brisbane).
Majestic has not worked for the mighty Patriots as of yet.

Feel like it would turn off a few if they had to design to the constraints of that god awful template. The UA Saints home kit sucks.

I agree, but that would not likely be the required element if they were the manufacturer. The element will need to be easy enough for everyone to use no matter what skill level. So anything that physically changes a template would not be used.

I think Under Armour is a good shout as it's a massive US brand that doesn't have a great presence in Australia as yet, but more importantly, nobody here uses them that I can remember, so it would be something new for everyone.

A common design element is going to be a bit tougher though. I'd consider the only 3 manufacturers in the running to be Nike, Adidas and Under Armour. Only Adidas has a noteworthy and regularly used design feature. Under Armour doesn't even have a widespread template used at the top level in 2016/17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is something like a stitching pattern suitable as the unique element craegus ?

Even people using a paint template could do a basic stitching pattern.

Otherwise i'm not sure what we'll use for the likes of Nike and Under Armour, who don't really encroach on the design too much with their templates in general. Obviously the likes of Adidas and Kappa have obvious solutions but I don't really see Kappa winning the vote.

Is something like a stitching pattern suitable as the unique element craegus ?

Even people using a paint template could do a basic stitching pattern.

Otherwise i'm not sure what we'll use for the likes of Nike and Under Armour, who don't really encroach on the design too much with their templates in general. Obviously the likes of Adidas and Kappa have obvious solutions but I don't really see Kappa winning the vote.

I am not too sure at the moment. I really do not want to discourage or scare people away because they are unable to alter templates and as such cannot meet the guidelines. Once there is a good set of potential manufacturers I will go through and see what common element could be used for them that is fair for everyone and then put them up for discussion.

So currently we sit with the below proposals that will be voted on in the near future. I am still a little unsure on Under Armour being an option as single manufacturer as no real set design element has presented itself. I understand that the stitching option is there, but I do not want to scare away potential new designers who are unable to recreate this element. As has been previously mentioned, something like the Adidas 3 stripes is an easy element to add to a kit and if this was chosen, I would not restrict where the 3 stripes could be added so long as they appeared on the guernsey (e.g. side stripes, middle of the back {AFL refused Hawthorn design}, across the shoulders, etc.). If anyone can come up with an easier suggestion for UA then I will certainly consider it. Also I am open to more manufacturers being added to the poll to give people more choice.

I am also open to any other suggestions to potential changes to the competition. However I will only consider proper suggestions that would improve the competition as a whole.

Current poll options:

Proposal 1: Removal of shorts colour rule for home and away kits. 51% minimum white guernsey, 33% white socks for home, coloured guernsey and socks for away. Shorts interchangeable across kits, socks not.
Yes
No

Proposal 2: Alternate uniforms to become 3rd uniform program (outlandish designs encouraged). Same template as home and away.
Yes
No

Proposal 3: Single Manufacturer (common element across all kits).
Yes - Adidas (three stripes)
Yes - Under Armour (TBD)
Yes - {open slots for other manufacturers, would be removed if no other suggestions}
No

Proposal 3.1: Set position for manufacturer logo, if single manufacturer adopted.
Yes
No

Proposal #: {Other proposals, if any suggested}

So currently we sit with the below proposals that will be voted on in the near future. I am still a little unsure on Under Armour being an option as single manufacturer as no real set design element has presented itself. I understand that the stitching option is there, but I do not want to scare away potential new designers who are unable to recreate this element. As has been previously mentioned, something like the Adidas 3 stripes is an easy element to add to a kit and if this was chosen, I would not restrict where the 3 stripes could be added so long as they appeared on the guernsey (e.g. side stripes, middle of the back {AFL refused Hawthorn design}, across the shoulders, etc.). If anyone can come up with an easier suggestion for UA then I will certainly consider it. Also I am open to more manufacturers being added to the poll to give people more choice.

I am also open to any other suggestions to potential changes to the competition. However I will only consider proper suggestions that would improve the competition as a whole.

Current poll options:

Proposal 1: Removal of shorts colour rule for home and away kits. 51% minimum white guernsey, 33% white socks for home, coloured guernsey and socks for away. Shorts interchangeable across kits, socks not.
Yes
No

Proposal 2: Alternate uniforms to become 3rd uniform program (outlandish designs encouraged). Same template as home and away.
Yes
No

Proposal 3: Single Manufacturer (common element across all kits).
Yes - Adidas (three stripes)
Yes - Under Armour (TBD)
Yes - {open slots for other manufacturers, would be removed if no other suggestions}
No

Proposal 3.1: Set position for manufacturer logo, if single manufacturer adopted.
Yes
No

Proposal #: {Other proposals, if any suggested}

Under Armour use a shoulder stripe and two toned collar on a fair few of their jerseys as well which is a more simple element.

TTYUA1238501-419-2.jpg

Under Armour use a shoulder stripe and two toned collar on a fair few of their jerseys as well which is a more simple element.

View attachment 325263

There is that, I have also found that on their college football kits they tend to have the team name across the chest.

mdpride-front.jpg
marc10.jpg
northwestern_football_uniforms.jpg
College_FBALL_GLOVES-Utah.jpg

There is that, I have also found that on their college football kits they tend to have the team name across the chest.

mdpride-front.jpg
marc10.jpg
northwestern_football_uniforms.jpg
College_FBALL_GLOVES-Utah.jpg

I don't agree with forcing teams to have the team name across the front, TBH. I think it looks good but I think that's more of a design element as opposed to a template element.

I don't agree with forcing teams to have the team name across the front, TBH. I think it looks good but I think that's more of a design element as opposed to a template element.

I never really stated a template element, it has always been a design element. Template elements mean that they have to be exactly the same across every team, whereas design element means that it can vary from design to design so long as that particular element exists somewhere. So if it was a word mark, in this case it would be in a singular position, but can be designed how you want. The current Under Armour elements that have been suggested are forced to basically look exactly the same across all designs (with just recolouring occurring). But then again apart from the Adidas 3 stripes currently all other suggested ideas have been quite restrictive. But I can see how a forced word mark could impact some of the current teams and their designs.

That is why I guess I mentioned Kappa and Hummel as possibilities in the original post as their elements can be placed in multiple areas. But at the moment I am really thinking of cutting it to either Adidas or none as I haven't been persuaded into using Under Armour, and no others have really been suggested (apart from a quick mention of Majestic) or discussed. I know it may not be the most popular option, but I think people could really be creative in their use of the 3 stripes (just off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 different and unique uses for them that would not hurt peoples main design and still be obvious in their use), plus it keeps it to a level that would allow everyone to utilise it without any real problems. Then in the future should people come up with new ideas of manufacturers and elements, the discussion for changing to someone different could occur, or the whole thing could be scrapped (basically use the 2017 season as a trial of the single manufacturer format and then decide on its future after the season).

I never really stated a template element, it has always been a design element. Template elements mean that they have to be exactly the same across every team, whereas design element means that it can vary from design to design so long as that particular element exists somewhere. So if it was a word mark, in this case it would be in a singular position, but can be designed how you want. The current Under Armour elements that have been suggested are forced to basically look exactly the same across all designs (with just recolouring occurring). But then again apart from the Adidas 3 stripes currently all other suggested ideas have been quite restrictive. But I can see how a forced word mark could impact some of the current teams and their designs.

That is why I guess I mentioned Kappa and Hummel as possibilities in the original post as their elements can be placed in multiple areas. But at the moment I am really thinking of cutting it to either Adidas or none as I haven't been persuaded into using Under Armour, and no others have really been suggested (apart from a quick mention of Majestic) or discussed. I know it may not be the most popular option, but I think people could really be creative in their use of the 3 stripes (just off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 different and unique uses for them that would not hurt peoples main design and still be obvious in their use), plus it keeps it to a level that would allow everyone to utilise it without any real problems. Then in the future should people come up with new ideas of manufacturers and elements, the discussion for changing to someone different could occur, or the whole thing could be scrapped (basically use the 2017 season as a trial of the single manufacturer format and then decide on its future after the season).

What's wrong with the UA shoulder stripes and collar? No more restrictive than the three stripes - and UA in itself is a cool concept given they're an American brand.

Back