Can anyone see the benefits Shane Kersten brings to the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is tough to judge any of our forwards for the 2017-this year. The delivery into the 50 is horrendous. Last year was just a write off, so I do not read to much into it. We had a lot of entries into our 50 on the weekend early in the game, however again the game plan seemed to be to rush a bomb into the 50. If we do this, then Kersten has no role in this team.

On the other hand, if we are going to be more patient and hit a target inside 50 with a 15-20m kick to a lead, then yeah he could have a role. But from what I saw on the weekend, we need small forwards surrounding this contest - and for ffs get someone goal side, if nothing else to halve the rebounding opportunity.

Also if Kersten can be a link a player by leading maybe, but I have not seen it. He understandably had a better 2016 than 2017. So I guess the only way Kersten gets a guernsey is to take 6 marks a game at a minimum, have the occasional 10 mark game, but 3 is simply not acceptable for a KPP. This is something he has always struggled with, but if he can't do that as a KPP then he needs to go back to WAFL.

At 25, he has time, but he needs to start this year. He has had the occasional good game, so I am happy to persevere in the short term, and given Port dominated us, I am also writing off the Essendon game, as I think our skills and decisions were woeful. Cam Mac did impress with his work rate - if I see the work rate, then I am more supportive of a game that is nothing special. Kersten seems like a bit of floater, I do not notice him much as he is not really an impact player.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it appears I am on the fence.
So you are the only person to admit your are fence sitting. I am the only Pro Kersten person on here, the rest of you are anti kersten or don't give a stuff.

Now... heres how I see it. I am realistic. He will average 9-10 disposals a game. Does he need to average 6 marks a game? I don't know. Kerstens form can vary. He can have a 12 disposal game and kick 3-4 goals. He could have a 5 possession game and be scoreless.

So you are the only person to admit your are fence sitting. I am the only Pro Kersten person on here, the rest of you are anti kersten or don't give a stuff.

Now... heres how I see it. I am realistic. He will average 9-10 disposals a game. Does he need to average 6 marks a game? I don't know. Kerstens form can vary. He can have a 12 disposal game and kick 3-4 goals. He could have a 5 possession game and be scoreless.
He can be a handy 30-35 goal a year player for sure. He was one of two dockers to have multiple shots on Saturday. That’s how dire the game was. People writing him off are premature delistanators.

He’s done the work over preseason and is as fit as he’s ever been. Hope he gets a solid 4-5 games to show what he’s got. Lots of third string forwards have goalless games.

He can be a handy 30-35 goal a year player for sure. He was one of two dockers to have multiple shots on Saturday. That’s how dire the game was. People writing him off are premature delistanators.

He’s done the work over preseason and is as fit as he’s ever been. Hope he gets a solid 4-5 games to show what he’s got. Lots of third string forwards have goalless games.
I think the problem is more that he doesn't offer a lot else. Most 3rd string forwards are either pretty good goal kickers, get a lot of the ball on the lead or apply good tackle pressure.
At his best, Kersten has only really shown to be a decent goal kicker, and when he's not at his best ... there's not a lot he offers.

I think the problem is more that he doesn't offer a lot else. Most 3rd string forwards are either pretty good goal kickers, get a lot of the ball on the lead or apply good tackle pressure.
At his best, Kersten has only really shown to be a decent goal kicker, and when he's not at his best ... there's not a lot he offers.
Yeah - hence give him 4-5 games to show any improvement. He’s worked his backside off all preseason, done something different, so why not see if he can deliver some different results?

If no improvement, drop him for Apeness or Dixon or Bennell or whoever once they are ready. It’s not going to stifle anyone’s development by leaving him in for a few games but will give a clearer indication if he can cut it at AFL - especially after the preseason he’s had.

Yeah - hence give him 4-5 games to show any improvement. He’s worked his backside off all preseason, done something different, so why not see if he can deliver some different results?

If no improvement, drop him for Apeness or Dixon or Bennell or whoever once they are ready. It’s not going to stifle anyone’s development by leaving him in for a few games but will give a clearer indication if he can cut it at AFL - especially after the preseason he’s had.
I'm actually not against playing Kersten, sorry I should have been clearer. My response was more too the comment that lots of 3rd string forwards go goalless sometimes.
From my perspective at the moment, whether Kersten plays is more dependent on if they want to push Fyfe/Mundy forward more or play a second ruck.

If they play a second ruck, Tabs and McCarthy round out the forward line.
If we can afford Fyfe to go forward more, he does so in Kersten's place and we bring in a mid.

My opinion at the moment, is we need Fyfe in the midfield, Darcy hasn't quite shown enough as a forward for Peel, Dixon needs time and Ape needs a few games under his belt ... so Kersten plays and hopefully hits form.

It seems he will get games regardless. Tabs will probably get the same due to our lack of choices. But If both can kick 30 each, then that is a lot for freo.

I'm actually not against playing Kersten, sorry I should have been clearer. My response was more too the comment that lots of 3rd string forwards go goalless sometimes.
From my perspective at the moment, whether Kersten plays is more dependent on if they want to push Fyfe/Mundy forward more or play a second ruck.

If they play a second ruck, Tabs and McCarthy round out the forward line.
If we can afford Fyfe to go forward more, he does so in Kersten's place and we bring in a mid.

My opinion at the moment, is we need Fyfe in the midfield, Darcy hasn't quite shown enough as a forward for Peel, Dixon needs time and Ape needs a few games under his belt ... so Kersten plays and hopefully hits form.
I think we need a defender that releases Blakeley midfield, which allows Fyfe/Mundy to roll forward, which has ramifications for our forward line.

Long term the tall forwards are Dixon, Taberner/Cox/ruck-forward, McCarthy/Kersten.

I think we need a defender that releases Blakeley midfield, which allows Fyfe/Mundy to roll forward, which has ramifications for our forward line.

Long term the tall forwards are Dixon, Taberner/Cox/ruck-forward, McCarthy/Kersten.
Its going to take a while before we have a settled forward line and a well run midfield.

You look back to last year. Yes we averaged 10 goals a game last year. But that varied each game. There were times kicked 5-7 goals and looked bad. There were other times we kick 12-14 goals and won easily.

There were so many ways you could see Freo get 12-15 goals a game and win. I still remember Neale get 39 disposals and 3 goals in a derby. I have seen Fyfe get 4 goals and 28 disposals as freo won 11.7.73 to the crows 7.9.51 at Subi in 2013.

If Freo do win games kicking 12-14 goals. I expect Kersten to kick 2-4 goals in that game. I did rate him at Geelong, I rate him at freo. As Kersten at his best is good and can help freo.

The club has done the right thing with Kersten by getting him to work on his fitness base and then provide greater opportunities to be involved. But he needs to show progress. If not then he is fringe or depth (or gone).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he makes it as a defender he will be competing with Wilson, Ryan and 2 first rounders in Logue and hopefully Carter. Hard to see a spot for him unless Logue has ongoing issues.

Different role I think Gav. From today's team Cox would more replace Hamling or AP whereas Kerstin would be a replacement for Jonno.
I think both would play the 3rd tall in defence and taking MJ's place, it's a question of match ups.
Cox is better in the air defensively and intercept wise probably has higher scope as a player.
Shane is faster, better at ground level probably better at moving the ball out offensively.

Hopefully this move works for Kersten. No reason it won't, he has good skills and a really good kick. He has always had reasonable body work but is sadly lacking form which can often happen to forwards especially those playing in a non forward friendly Lyon team.

If he makes it as a defender brilliant you then have a genuine player to play backline and occasionally throw forward who genuinely can kick a goal.

Even if he makes it as a defender he will be competing with Wilson, Ryan and 2 first rounders in Logue and hopefully Carter. Hard to see a spot for him unless Logue has ongoing issues.
Logue is sadly injured and might be done for the year sadly.

Kersten had a good game vs the crows in the backline.

Logue is sadly injured and might be done for the year sadly.

Kersten had a good game vs the crows in the backline.
I have to say that it seems a good experiment to have him in the backline. It may not be successful, and it may not be a permanent move, but he has managed to get himself back in the team for now which is a pretty good start.

I have to say that it seems a good experiment to have him in the backline. It may not be successful, and it may not be a permanent move, but he has managed to get himself back in the team for now which is a pretty good start.

Massive improvement in his second game from his first and another reasonable kick out of the backline. Might be tested this week with a relatively tall attack, so very interested in how he goes.

Yeah I’m liking it. He feels safe with the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back