Can Australia be a self-sufficient country?

WCfan22

WCE tragic
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WWE
More the question should be is should every country be at a level of self-sufficiency?
But back to the main question I think that we here in Australia could and should be more self sufficient in this current climate.
Why do we have to export one product to then just import another product exactly the same?
The current Corona virus situation has plunged us as a country into turmoil. Crazy people buying every packet of toilet roll on the shelf. Seriously WTF. This action is based on out of country problems that do not affect us as a nation.
If we had/have more control over local assets instead of going the whole "sell it to China or some other big foreign company they will pay more" attitude then we would be in a much stronger position to battle adversary.
Sure we need foreign investment but it has to be at worst a 60/40 playing field in our favour with all major assets owned by Australian companies or governments .
I might be wrong but I as a proud aussie and think we should be standing on our own feet as we are a land of riches.
What do we think?
All opinions respected.

Upgrayedd

A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I dont think any country can be. Plus with the way our retirement/superannuation is set out our bigger companies are not looking to 10+ years development of the nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upgrayedd

A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Are we prepared to pay an extra 10K per car?
A starting price of 15 bucks a shirt?

Are you prepared to pay an extra 50/60 bucks on your monthly Big W buy, K-mart buy?

No Because we're a cheap lazy population. We don't even refined our raw material on our shores anymore. We abandoned thousands of jobs to make a close to 90% automated industry in mining more lucrative for woodside/rio/Chevron.

End of the day I dont think Australians would factor in our cost of living and safety record for a couple of dollars. Im sure people will moan high wages. While being utterly insulted at the idea that they are over-paid and can afford to spend a couple more cents on Australian made products.

avac1991

Draftee
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
There are limitations to each country's resources be it the skill set of the people, the natural resources it is endowed with, its geography etc. Countries can be largely self sufficient.. but at a cost. It is truly cheaper to produce certain things offshore. Also, Australia's population is ageing. Which is why working holidays are offered to foreigners to cover jobs we aren't doing like farm work. Can we survive solely on our own people and our own resources? That's a big question we have to think about.

MrWalker30

Rookie
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
There are limitations to each country's resources be it the skill set of the people, the natural resources it is endowed with, its geography etc. Countries can be largely self sufficient.. but at a cost. It is truly cheaper to produce certain things offshore. Also, Australia's population is ageing. Which is why working holidays are offered to foreigners to cover jobs we aren't doing like farm work. Can we survive solely on our own people and our own resources? That's a big question we have to think about.
most countries can be self sufficiant but its laws and regulations they are bound by.

its been later revised as the paris and kioto agreements but its crippled successful countries like Australia and USA and allowed china to become a super power they are today, we lost our manufacturing, most of the steel works, oil refinerys etc thats why we are a service based economy not a manufactoring
we should be

coountries like norway at least hand a nationally owned oil drilling company that has allowed them to grow a sovereign fund to around 1.1 trillion dollars

Australia is the stupid rich kid that had everything gifted

sabre_ac

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should we be self-sufficient in times of crisis? Yes (in terms of bare essentials)

Should we aim to be self-sufficient in the modern economy? Depends on the cost and what we forego, I'd argue we should focus on being world leaders in certain areas as opposed to being self-sufficient.

Top Bottom