yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
This does my head in.
Surely we can come up with an appropriate nickname for thugby league.
Call it bloody, handy if you have to, but calling it footy is not only misleading, but also insulting to our great game that actually requires goals (the main score in our game) to be kicked by a foot

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
This does my head in.
Call it bloody, handy if you have to, but calling it footy is not only misleading, but also insulting to our great game that actually requires goals (the main score in our game) to be kicked by a foot

That’s what it’s called in those states

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
NRL is channel 9s main asset and they call in footy because that's what its called in QLD and NSW.

Also sports referred to as football goes way back and does not mean you use your feet it means you play it on your feet as opposed to on horse back in games like polo.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Rugby has become a ' replay and revue hour '.
AFL is now officially ' aerial ping pong '.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
This does my head in.

From Australian Rules Football, to American Football, to "Soccer" (probably the most legitimate sport to be called Football), to Rugby League, to Gaelic Football, there's probably half a dozen sports around the world with the name.

Your post is quite funny considering we call Football "Soccer" despite it being the most prominent sport played primarily with the feet and know as that across the globe.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
I find people calling Aussie Rules as a sport "AFL" to be more annoying. It's the comp, not the name of the sport. People are lazy and look for the easiest colloquial term. Trouble is that Aussie Rules doesn't have an easy alternative. Other codes have "League", "Union", "Soccer", "Gridiron"... saying "Aussie Rules" seems so out of place.

I find people calling Aussie Rules as a sport "AFL" to be more annoying. It's the comp, not the name of the sport. People are lazy and look for the easiest colloquial term. Trouble is that Aussie Rules doesn't have an easy alternative. Other codes have "League", "Union", "Soccer", "Gridiron"... saying "Aussie Rules" seems so out of place.

same with UFC & WWE, people identify by the most prominent brand

Could refer to aussie rules as "league", give its a football league.

Or educate people to say I play ARF (aussie rules footy)

Back