• Yes

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Not enough evidence to prove either way

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I may have done this earlier in the thread. It’s been going so long I really don’t know.

In the months before season 2011, there were two AFL powers, and a couple of quasi-power sides behind them.
Collingwood and St Kilda were in the former group, Geelong and to a lesser extent Hawthorn in the latter.

Geelong lost their coach. They lost only their best player, they lost the league’s best player.
Soon enough they’d lose two dual (one triple actually but one flag was almost unfairly earned) flag players who simply were not good enough. One of the two powers had basically an identical age profile but didn’t lose their best player. The other had a much younger age profile and were coming off a flag. They were peaking so well that they did not drop a single game to 15 other sides in 2011. Somehow they dropped 3 to Geelong, though.

St Kilda disappeared despite having no real excuse.

We didn’t. We hammered Collingwood the week before the finals, then ultimately hammered them again in the second half of the grand final.

Within the next 12 months, we would lose a handful of other champions. Collingwood would annoint a new coach to look after their much younger squad.

7 seasons on, and that same Pies coach is being lauded for making a finals series.

The same Cats coach has missed one.
And HE is the one under the pump.

Could anyone seriously watch that game tonight and think that it was simply a matter of gameplan and tactics? I've never seen worse skills from a top 8 side, and alarmingly the majority of skill errors came from our best players. Of our 'elite' players outside of the defensive group, only Hawkins and Kelly could really claim to have played reasonably, and one of those hardly saw the ball, the other is in his first year of footy

Yep the coach definitely has nothing to do with scoring zero goals in finals first quarters, year after year. Nothing a coach could do there. Nope. Zip.. nada.

Why would you need salt when your club has had an abundance since you became the only team to lose a final to a team that finished outside of finals?

Yeah, we think alot about that game 5 years ago, oh wait, no we don’t.......

c978c3256688fd33fa3fcaadeec27a08.png

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

A wonderful contract extension by Geelong. I didn’t think it was for long enough. Would of liked to see Scott get extended to 2025.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I may have done this earlier in the thread. It’s been going so long I really don’t know.

In the months before season 2011, there were two AFL powers, and a couple of quasi-power sides behind them.
Collingwood and St Kilda were in the former group, Geelong and to a lesser extent Hawthorn in the latter.

Geelong lost their coach. They lost only their best player, they lost the league’s best player.
Soon enough they’d lose two dual (one triple actually but one flag was almost unfairly earned) flag players who simply were not good enough. One of the two powers had basically an identical age profile but didn’t lose their best player. The other had a much younger age profile and were coming off a flag. They were peaking so well that they did not drop a single game to 15 other sides in 2011. Somehow they dropped 3 to Geelong, though.

St Kilda disappeared despite having no real excuse.

We didn’t. We hammered Collingwood the week before the finals, then ultimately hammered them again in the second half of the grand final.

Within the next 12 months, we would lose a handful of other champions. Collingwood would annoint a new coach to look after their much younger squad.

7 seasons on, and that same Pies coach is being lauded for making a finals series.

The same Cats coach has missed one.
And HE is the one under the pump.
Ahhh Geelong, content to just make finals.

A 4 year extention gives Scott a chance to keep rebuilding this list with 30 year old players

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep the coach definitely has nothing to do with scoring zero goals in finals first quarters, year after year. Nothing a coach could do there. Nope. Zip.. nada.

We were level for inside 50s with 60 seconds to go in last night’s first term. Not sure he explicitly instructed us to ‘kick it to Melbourne going forward.’

He’s proven he can coach

After a first round finals exit there is always that stare at the coach mentality

But really they are a good side just not a great one anymore

They usually recruit well .....need some midfield pace and despite having Selwoods and danger they need contested ball winners

They have been up for a long time .,.since 2007 .....geez people give them credit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His home and away record is inflated due to your home ground games. in reality, on the G and elsewhere its pretty poor..

that would be the same for almost all 18 clubs so either you are trolling or you don't understand that winning more than 50% of your away matches is bloody difficulty.

This is the Chris Scott modus operandi - top up with senior established AFL players every year (doing it yet again with Dahlhaus) to remain 'competitive' thus guaranteeing him a long term job without ever looking like being a contender. Rely on banking 7 wins a season due to the radically different long/skinny ground configurations of Kardinia Park (not to mention the extraordinary $100m generosity of the Australian taxpayer simply for being based in a marginal electorate) so he only needs to snag 4-6 wins elsewhere to make top 8 every year. Rinse and repeat. He just got a 4 year contract extension too, so job done on that score.

He's won 3 and lost 9 finals since 2012 (would have been 2 and 10 if Isaac Smith didn't fluff his lines after the siren in 2016). The last 3 teams to be goalless at qtr time in a final have all been Chris Scott coached Geelong teams.

They made prelims the last 2 years and doubled down on getting Gary Ablett Jnr this year (after having Dangerfield handed to them on a platter and also bringing in Henderson, Zac Smith, Tuohy in the last couple of years). And yet they finish a miserable 8th with 13 wins and 10 losses, with minimal injuries to their stars. They have many high profile media friends who never ask the tough questions, not to mention a number of powerful allies at City Hall (no other team has 2 representatives in the competition committee, not including Steve Hocking and Gerard 2.4 Whateley).

He is the biggest fraud since Keyser Soze.

Chris Scott isn’t the issue. There’s a guy down there who surfs in a suit who gets paid about a million bucks a year who had a 52% disposal efficiency return last night and who won’t run both ways. Not to mention the great chasm between the top 4-5 players and the rest of that list.

I don’t buy Scott being the issue, I’d be looking at 6-8 players who just didn’t respond when Melbourne hit them between the eyes last night. There is a lot of soft players wearing the Cats jumper and one of them isn’t Selwood.

Massive massive mental issues.

Chris Scott isn’t the issue. There’s a guy down there who surfs in a suit who gets paid about a million bucks a year who had a 52% disposal efficiency return last night and who won’t run both ways. Not to mention the great chasm between the top 4-5 players and the rest of that list.

I don’t buy Scott being the issue, I’d be looking at 6-8 players who just didn’t respond when Melbourne hit them between the eyes last night. There is a lot of soft players wearing the Cats jumper and one of them isn’t Selwood.

Massive massive mental issues.
The 6-8 players you alluded to (and Danger) are by-products of the coaching group. They enable the behaviour you talk about as it has been consistently on display for a number of years, and these players continue to be rewarded with selection. They bring in Ablett, who has never been a defensively-oriented player, into a team already highly suspect in that area.

Scott has that unmistakable level of arrogance and hubris that leads him to think he is above everyone else cerebrally, and that he is beyond questioning. He is a massive part of their problems - not the only problem by any stretch but a very big part.

Last edited:
Lol that premiditated “Melbourne were better than us... just wanted to say that in case I didn’t get a chance to later” speech was the most fabricated, fake, phoney, embarrassing press conference by a coach since Chris Scott, around 20.

At his disposal is a midfield of immense talent, a great modern forward in Hawkins, solid backline of veterans and established players. This has been the case for the last 5 years. In that time he has only won 2 finals.

With the inclusion of GAJ, they are arguably a superteam at the moment, with a decisive home ground advantage that was given Victorian taxpayer money to support and redevelop. Yet they looked likely to miss out on the 8 at many points this season and completely stunk it up in the do-or-die EF so far.

What does it take for him to be put under the blowtorch?

On the other side of the coin is that we have taken 2 top 20 picks since 2004. We have a strong best 5 or so, but the list is missing a CHF, two decent small forwards, and a ruckman. Consider the number of late picks and rookies on the field. Some of our best players last night were Sam Menegola, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart and they were all players that no other side wanted. Our ruckman was a 4th gamer we picked up from local footy in geelong. The problem the cats have is that the list has been outperforming for a while now and cats fans have huge expectations on a list that had a few stars but it's best described as a patchwork quilt. I think a good comparison is Carlton where they probably have a similar number of elite players and a similar number of "non-elite" players. I'm not happy with the outcome this year, but blanking the senior coach for the cumulative effect of a decade of equalization measures is premature

This is the Chris Scott modus operandi - top up with senior established AFL players every year (doing it yet again with Dahlhaus) to remain 'competitive' thus guaranteeing him a long term job without ever looking like being a contender. Rely on banking 7 wins a season due to the radically different long/skinny ground configurations of Kardinia Park (not to mention the extraordinary $100m generosity of the Australian taxpayer simply for being based in a marginal electorate) so he only needs to snag 4-6 wins elsewhere to make top 8 every year. Rinse and repeat. He just got a 4 year contract extension too, so job done on that score.

He's won 3 and lost 9 finals since 2012 (would have been 2 and 10 if Isaac Smith didn't fluff his lines after the siren in 2016). The last 3 teams to be goalless at qtr time in a final have all been Chris Scott coached Geelong teams.

They made prelims the last 2 years and doubled down on getting Gary Ablett Jnr this year (after having Dangerfield handed to them on a platter and also bringing in Henderson, Zac Smith, Tuohy in the last couple of years). And yet they finish a miserable 8th with 13 wins and 10 losses, with minimal injuries to their stars. They have many high profile media friends who never ask the tough questions, not to mention a number of powerful allies at City Hall (no other team has 2 representatives in the competition committee, not including Steve Hocking and Gerard 2.4 Whateley).

He is the biggest fraud since Keyser Soze.

62-46 away from KP SINCE his flag season. Amazing that he has averaged 9 wins a season elsewhere while averaging 4-6 wins a season elsewhere.

Back