Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
That's greatest of all time by the way.

Just a fact check, Dustin Martin is 26 years old. Gary Ablett Jr who is often put in the GOAT discussions at 26 had:
- 2 premierships (Dusty has one) I'm not a fan of flags, as it's a team award
- 1 Brownlow medal (Dusty has one)
- 112 Brownlow votes (Dusty has 134)
- 3x MVP awards (Dusty has one)
- 4x All-Australians (Dusty has two)
- 2x Best and fairests (Dusty should win his 2nd)
- 2x B&F's in premiership years (Dusty should have one coming up)

So at 26 years old, Dusty is a bit behind GAJ at the same age, but obviously as we've seen, is virtually unstoppable and I think he might have a case should his career span maybe 8 more years? Most if not all would need to be elite. I'd go as far as to say Dusty's current ability exceeds Ablett Jr's best. I'm young but I haven't seen a player other than Carey's highlight reels be such a God-like figure on the field who could single-handedly carry his team over the line. Martin also looks destined to be a one-club player which for obvious reasons, is always looked up more to than multi-club players by AFL fans.

Dusty just completed the first hat-trick ever - Brownlow/Premiership/Norm Smith in the one season. Should he continue at a similar level which I see no reason why he can not, Martin by career's end could be one of the greatest ever. A second premiership would be huge to his credentials.

What do y'all think?

delinquent05

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the first year Dusty has put together consistent 4th quarter performances. Great player obviously but to be considered the GOAT he needs to play at that level for years so come.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Loser for having an opinion? Enjoy your school holidays mate.
Dangerfield is the best player currently imo.

Roflcopter. Dusty's running, kicking, vision, and evasion are elite. He's the Michael Jordan of AFL.

In fact dusty running with the football and taking a few bounces, and fending off a tackle or two, is becoming an iconic scene in the history of our game.

Mr Bombastic

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roflcopter. Dusty's running, kicking, vision, and evasion are elite. He's the Michael Jordan of AFL.

In fact dusty running with the football and taking a few bounces, and fending off a tackle or two, is becoming an iconic scene in the history of our game.

Roflcopter?
I'm not denying he's a superstar I just think Danger has him covered currently.
What does him having a "iconic scene" have to do with his standing as the greatest of all time?

nickcat0

Team Captain
Jun 22, 2007
Southport, Lancashire, England.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
St Helens RFC
I don't think Dusty has a shot at being the GOAT, but he could realistically become the best footballer of his era; if he continues at the current level for the next 5 years or so.

And with due respect to the opening poster, Gary Ablett Jnr isn't even the best player in his family, let alone the GOAT.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Roflcopter?
I'm not denying he's a superstar I just think Danger has him covered currently.
What does him having a "iconic scene" have to do with his standing as the greatest of all time?

Roflcopter again. Are you dumb? I'm saying that dusty running with the footy and taking a bounce or fending off tacklers is becoming an iconic image in our game. This is the type of footage that will be played in 50 years from now when commentators are talking about the greatest players in the history of the sport. Kind of like old black and white footage of Don Bradman driving the ball through the covers with such grace and elegance.

Mr Bombastic

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roflcopter again. Are you dumb? I'm saying that dusty running with the footy and taking a bounce or fending off tacklers is becoming an iconic image in our game. This is the type of footage that will be played in 50 years from now when commentators are talking about the greatest players in the history of the sport. Kind of like old black and white footage of Don Bradman driving the ball through the covers with such grace and elegance.

Ok

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Go watch a few of the games GAJ played against Geelong and Collingwood a few years back and you will see how good his best really was. A one man army willing a group of kids over the line, was unstoppable in 2014 up to his injury and given where the Gold Coast were placed at that time may even have won another Charlie.

Dustin is great and will surely get better but Gazza is still the best I have ever seen....which has only been since 1997 so apologies to all the greats before that and deeply envious of all those who got to see the greats like Matthews, Hudson, Lockett in full flight etc

Premierships shouldn't be used as a measurement in these discussions. Plenty of ordinary players have premierships to their names, as well as plenty of great players not having any.

But Dusty is well on his way.

Back