Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's just from Burgoyne retiring!
The age demographic last March wasn't good was it for a side starting to rebuild. :think:
The 3 youngest were North, Adelaide, GC.
Hawks ranked 5th in games and 7th in age. Master coach Clarko was but he got the last drop out of his list as CEO Reeves remarked.

Last game this year Hawks certainly much older than the Tigers averaging 25 and 345.
Take out Burgoyne [38] Ceglar [31] TOB [28] but hopefully adding back in Gunston [30] Bruest [31] Sicily [27] Impey [26]

Will still be a mid range average age side if something like your best 22 runs out. And that is probably a truer indicator than list age.

Sam Mitchell is a smart but very difficult fella from a number of accounts. I think this might be considered as a Nafan appointment, except I give him three years not ten.

I don’t get the Nathan similarity.
As a player Sam was a limited athlete who improved himself and those around him.
Nathan was a very gifted athlete who apparently didn’t connect too well with lesser players

I don’t get the Nathan similarity.
As a player Sam was a limited athlete who improved himself and those around him.
Nathan was a very gifted athlete who apparently didn’t connect too well with lesser players
Some similarities to Buckley but some differences too. Ironically it was Buckley's leaving which fast tracked Hawthorn's decision to move on Clarkson and appoint Mitchell. Buckley, going back a decade, as a coach in waiting , was generally well received by the media - Mitchell less so [ certainly an anti- Hawthorn bias in the media for a few years now]
The Collingwood situation forced their hand , but it was a gutsy move by the Hawks . The open to trade for picks for their experienced players not the best situation for the new coach, but his predecessor had created this issue.

Some similarities to Buckley but some differences too. Ironically it was Buckley's leaving which fast tracked Hawthorn's decision to move on Clarkson and appoint Mitchell. Buckley, going back a decade, as a coach in waiting , was generally well received by the media - Mitchell less so [ certainly an anti- Hawthorn bias in the media for a few years now]
The Collingwood situation forced their hand , but it was a gutsy move by the Hawks . The open to trade for picks for their experienced players not the best situation for the new coach, but his predecessor had created this issue.

im talking about the ability to be a coach. Surely Sam as a known self improver and on field tactician is the main elements of coaching in essence?

I don’t believe bucks has been that bad a coach but the ‘favourite son’ syndrome - of which bucks was favourite son to the power Eddie usually describes an ex player who was so good naturally they didn’t need to coach themselves nor have any resonance for and to lesser players. It may work for basketball, but footy needs its foot soldiers to a much greater extent.

the similarity was the club was fearful that the person would coach elsewhere, be a success and never return. It was north in the case of bucks apparently

im talking about the ability to be a coach. Surely Sam as a known self improver and on field tactician is the main elements of coaching in essence?

I don’t believe bucks has been that bad a coach but the ‘favourite son’ syndrome - of which bucks was favourite son to the power Eddie usually describes an ex player who was so good naturally they didn’t need to coach themselves nor have any resonance for and to lesser players. It may work for basketball, but footy needs its foot soldiers to a much greater extent.

the similarity was the club was fearful that the person would coach elsewhere, be a success and never return. It was north in the case of bucks apparently
Certainly Mitchell didn't have the natural attributes of Buckley as a footballer. Self improvement regards to playing certainly for Sam. Made himself into a gun.

On field tactician :think: - WC assistant and BH head coach briefly . Think we would like to see more before making a call.
The knock on him I think is his stubborness and taking advice. Forget what Buckenara said about him but was along those lines. Having said that the bloke before him had some of those traits and did ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The age demographic last March wasn't good was it for a side starting to rebuild. :think:
The 3 youngest were North, Adelaide, GC.
Hawks ranked 5th in games and 7th in age. Master coach Clarko was but he got the last drop out of his list as CEO Reeves remarked.

Last game this year Hawks certainly much older than the Tigers averaging 25 and 345.
Take out Burgoyne [38] Ceglar [31] TOB [28] but hopefully adding back in Gunston [30] Bruest [31] Sicily [27] Impey [26]

Will still be a mid range average age side if something like your best 22 runs out. And that is probably a truer indicator than list age.

Our most likely 22 would be in the younger half of the league. You also need to add back in Will Day who is 20, and there will be younger players who didnt play many games this year who will get more games next year - so we may see the older players be in and out of the team.

Our most likely 22 would be in the younger half of the league. You also need to add back in Will Day who is 20, and there will be younger players who didnt play many games this year who will get more games next year - so we may see the older players be in and out of the team.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see Mitchell's strategy in comparison to Clarkson. Mitchell may look to phase some of the older brigade out during the course of the year. Might come down to their win/loss ratio. If they are a chance to sneak in the 8 mid to late year they could well stick with their experienced players. if the season starts poorly and at the bye they are out of contention , more game time for the kids.
When the fixture comes out soon and we see the start of the year, it might be easier for us to see what may occur!

Yeah, it will be interesting to see Mitchell's strategy in comparison to Clarkson. Mitchell may look to phase some of the older brigade out during the course of the year. Might come down to their win/loss ratio. If they are a chance to sneak in the 8 mid to late year they could well stick with their experienced players. if the season starts poorly and at the bye they are out of contention , more game time for the kids.
When the fixture comes out soon and we see the start of the year, it might be easier for us to see what may occur!

best 22 is already 50% 24 and under. Most fans suggestions are to move out such as Phillips Howe morrison not the older players

Is the general consensus amongst all Hawthorn supporters I know personally.

A handful of posters in this place though…
I was reading some posts in here by Dominic03 the other day and I was nearly tempted to go and empty my betting account on the Hawks for the flag next year.

Now that bloke can sell.

‘One I’d least like to have’: Hawks director agrees ‘list is in a mess’

Interesting article here considering some of the bullish assessments by some of the Hawks faithful of their squad.

The article is interesting in that the headline doesnt match the interview. SEN borrowing fron news.com.au clickbait.

Shearer seems to blame others even though he was on the Board which directed the football department on the goal to keep winning flags, not to hit the draft and rebuild.

Kennett and co are very good at blaming others for their failed leadership.

The article is interesting in that the headline doesnt match the interview. SEN borrowing fron news.com.au clickbait.

Shearer seems to blame others even though he was on the Board which directed the football department on the goal to keep winning flags, not to hit the draft and rebuild.

Kennett and co are very good at blaming others for their failed leadership.
Did the board direct the footy department in that way?

Genuine question.

I just assumed that Clarko was given his head, as a 4 time premiership coach, to go the reload.

Do you think he would actually have preferred to hit the draft but was blocked?

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did the board direct the footy department in that way?

Genuine question.

I just assumed that Clarko was given his head, as a 4 time premiership coach, to go the reload.

Do you think he would actually have preferred to hit the draft but was blocked?

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kennett was talking about more Premierships. 2 flags in 5 years. Said that at the end of 2017.

But now the message is that Clarko went rogue, ignored everyone and should have spent 2 or 3 years focussing on the draft.

I was reading some posts in here by Dominic03 the other day and I was nearly tempted to go and empty my betting account on the Hawks for the flag next year.

Now that bloke can sell.
Give me a job Hawthorn. Marketing operator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back