Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Belted by a team of kids ... taken in the draft ...
Clarko knows best though ...

This thread is basically obsolete, but probably time to review if the Hawks need to go into the next phase with some of their decent senior players.

Not much point keeping someone like Mitchell if they're going to get belted anyway. Would not surprise me in the least if he's surveying his options at this point.

This thread is basically obsolete, but probably time to review if the Hawks need to go into the next phase with some of their decent senior players.

Not much point keeping someone like Mitchell if they're going to get belted anyway. Would not surprise me in the least if he's surveying his options at this point.

Mitchell looks so slow with very little penetration or hurt factor these days.
What’s he worth ?

What’s he worth ?

Pick 18-25 range...our supporters have no idea..think because he won a Brownlow in 2018 he’s worth a top 10 pick...Shane woewodin and
Matt Priddis also won brownlows..

For a contending side he would be a nice 3rd or fourth midfielder that distributes the ball to good outside mids...

Since his broken leg and should reco, he’s really struggled.

He’s slow, can’t kick and doesn’t kick goals. He’s now basically just an accumulator that has zero impact on games...he needs to play in a good side...especially with how bad we are going to be over the next 4-5 years.

Pick 18-25 range...our supporters have no idea..think because he won a Brownlow in 2018 he’s worth a top 10 pick...Shane woewodin and
Matt Priddis also won brownlows..

For a contending side he would be a nice 3rd or fourth midfielder that distributes the ball to good outside mids...

Since his broken leg and should reco, he’s really struggled.

He’s slow, can’t kick and doesn’t kick goals. He’s now basically just an accumulator that has zero impact on games...he needs to play in a good side...especially with how bad we are going to be over the next 4-5 years.

Fair summary and have to wonder whether he’s worth moving on for a pick in that range ...

Please close this thread now!!! I can’t deal with our supporters embarrassing themselves anymore...at least we can celebrate a win against the bye next week.
Yeah I think this thread has done its dash now, Hawks need to properly rebuild and it looks like they've already started.

What’s he worth ?

He’s always been slow, but probably a combination of injury and having a pretty poor group of midfielders around him is making him look worse. They also pass to him in some bad positions, and he just has to make do which often means flicking the ball backwards because there is no other options.

Can still rack up big numbers, just isn’t as constructive as he used to be.

Still worth pick 15-20 with a bit of an asterisk. Could end up going the way of Brock McLean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 was an incredible final series, it was fun reflecting on it again after someone saying Hawks were close to winning it. I didn't think so at the time, and sure as death don't think so now. Hawks were in poor form going into finals, lost two of last four, and despite finishing top 4, didn't have the feel about them. Giants smashed them by 15 goals earlier in the year. They got tossed out of finals in straight sets, the Dogs DEMOLISHED them, the score board flattered Hawks as they kicked a bunch of late goals. Make no mistake, it was an end of era loss. It was the old guy at the party who kept up for a while, he had the place roaring with approval as he told his old stories, but by 10 pm he was slumped over the bar stool with micturant running down the trouser leg.

It was reminiscent of Lions 2004, and going back some, Tiges prelim 1975, terrif sides trying to hang on but to all and sundry, era finished.

No shame in it, of course, but there is shame in a punter's poor memory and faking it.

Most hawks supporters seem to accept their position. May have been different 12 months ago, not now

There are still some, if not many that think getting sicily, Gunston, Day and to a lesser extent Grainger-Barrass in the side will make a big difference...those 4 next season will hopefully be in the side come round 1 and you know where we will finish next season...17th or 18th..you can bookmark this

There are still some, if not many that think getting sicily, Gunston, Day and to a lesser extent Grainger-Barrass in the side will make a big difference...those 4 next season will hopefully be in the side come round 1 and you know where we will finish next season...17th or 18th..you can bookmark this
What's the messaging from Clarkson/Kennett to supporters on where they are at?
I remember around this time last year Clarkson was saying something along lines that Hub life derailed their season and if not for Covid Hawks would have been in far better spot.

I remember around this time last year Clarkson was saying something along lines that Hub life derailed their season and if not for Covid Hawks would have been in far better spot.

Hub life was just a weak excuse from Clarko...we weren’t the only vic club in a hub...Geelong and Richmond seemed to go just fine.

He kept playing guys like Scully, Patton, O’Brien and ceglar despite knowing how bad our list was.

Kennett came out a few weeks ago and finally admitted where we are at...”rebuilding”..the only issue is, he spoke about it being “2 years”...the truth is, we are 2 years from not finishing bottom 4 and at least 5 from playing finals again.

Clarko in our pre-season match against North Melbourne finally admitted where we are at but still continues to select list cloggers each week. There is no way he will coach us post 2022 when his contract expires.

For a side that’s meant to be “rebuilding” we had 1, that’s right 1 player that we drafted over the last two years play last night...josh Morris..he will be lucky to be on our list in two years time.

Hawthorn's fall from grace feels somewhat anti climatic.

Years of arguing with fans who were convinced the draft is overrated and Clarko would turn it around.

They won four flags in their 11 year period contending. Anyone would take that. Hell I'd take 4 finals series in 11 years. But in the end, ego and arrogance caught up with them

Clarko says multiple times in each presser “we know where we’re at as a club”. Just need a journo to ask “where exactly is that?”.

Years of arguing with fans who were convinced the draft is overrated and Clarko would turn it around.

They won four flags in their 11 year period contending. Anyone would take that. Hell I'd take 4 finals series in 11 years. But in the end, ego and arrogance caught up with them
Suggest its more the system that caught up with them
When you win flags you simply don't get access to high draft picks

4DE03DBB-6B94-4EE4-8F61-11E38205205F.gif

Was always going to be the case. Apart from a few misguided Hawkes supporters, most conceded last year they’d had their day in the sun and would need to go to the draft.

They’re only now starting to feel the after effects of their recruiting over the past 5 years.

What else is there to say really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back