Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
I'd be staggered if any of them were traded.
Quite happy to take pick 2, 20 and 21. Plus pick 2 in the MSD and PSD, and any free agent we may be able to jag.
There may also be Scrimshaw/ Impey type deals that could pop up that don't cost much.

I know you have pick 2 but only 2 other picks looks light on.

I would be trading a future or moving on Mitchell.

Cats gave 3 1sts for Cameron, still got a late 1st gun in Holmes and still have 24, 26 and 34 this year.

Unless you do some trading I wouldn't really say Hawks are attacking the draft massively this year.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Cats gave 3 1sts for Cameron, still got a late 1st gun in Holmes and still have 24, 26 and 34 this year.

Unless you do some trading I wouldn't really say Hawks are attacking the draft massively this year.

We need picks this year so they are hitting their stride in 2023.

Next year would be the year to look for early to mid 20s aged players.

The last time Hawthorn had three top 25 selections was 2005. I’d say this is the first time since then that Hawthorn will likely have an off-season where it’s main focus will be all about the national draft and nothing else.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The last time Hawthorn had three top 25 selections was 2005. I’d say this is the first time since then that Hawthorn will likely have an off-season where it’s main focus will be all about the national draft and nothing else.

Last year was mostly about the draft but with not as many good picks.

We only got Phillips because he cost us no real pick and Collingwood are paying a chunk of his salary.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
We need picks this year so they are hitting their stride in 2023.

Next year would be the year to look for early to mid 20s aged players.

Trading for picks is what I meant. Not players. Your hand needs to be better that it is currently.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be staggered if any of them were traded.
Quite happy to take pick 2, 20 and 21. Plus pick 2 in the MSD and PSD, and any free agent we may be able to jag.
There may also be Scrimshaw/ Impey type deals that could pop up that don't cost much.
Surely we would need to be more aggresive than this, I don't see the point of keeping Tom Mitchell when he will not help us with the rebuild. You cannot just expect to rebuild a side by only taking 1 first rounder each year. Would love it if we get Roberts/Horne this year with Sinn compensation for T.M. Then next year we will probably come last, so pick 1 and I would be open to Sicily walking for pick 2 compo. 4 first round picks all midfielders is a good start

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Surely we would need to be more aggresive than this, I don't see the point of keeping Tom Mitchell when he will not help us with the rebuild. You cannot just expect to rebuild a side by only taking 1 first rounder each year. Would love it if we get Roberts/Horne this year with Sinn compensation for T.M. Then next year we will probably come last, so pick 1 and I would be open to Sicily walking for pick 2 compo. 4 first round picks all midfielders is a good start

‘Richmond is the best example of success mainly on draftees. Discuss how they have traded into the draft

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a perfect example why the FA compensation is wrong IMO.

Hawthorn will finish 15-18 this year - "earning" a top-5 pick.

FA Compensation for losing a FA on say a 3yr, 600k = compensation pick after club's first round pick.

Breust, Gunston, JOM, Mitchell could all conceivably generate that kind of contract offer.

Would any club trade a top-5 pick for one of them? No - even a late 1st (15-20) is pushing it.

If Hawthorn 'knew' they were going to finish bottom 4 next year, it would be in their best interest to not re-sign any of their senior players - encourage them all to explore FA at end of 22 and "generate" multiple top-10 picks.

If Hawthorn stood to significantly benefit from the rort, it might almost be enough for the AFL to change the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
Breust, Gunston, JOM, Mitchell could all conceivably generate that kind of contract offer.

No club will offer any of these players a 3 year, $600k contract, sure it's a hypothetical situation but it's pie in the sky wishing.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
No club will offer any of these players a 3 year, $600k contract, sure it's a hypothetical situation but it's pie in the sky wishing.

Don’t think 600k is much money anymore. Considering you’re not giving up anything to get them I imagine Mitchell and O’Meara would be worth it.

I don’t think 600k over 3 years would trigger band 1 compensation though.

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
Don’t think 600k is much money anymore. Considering you’re not giving up anything to get them I imagine Mitchell and O’Meara would be worth it.

I don’t think 600k over 3 years would trigger band 1 compensation though.

O'Meara, possibly, if a club was really desperate for a 27 y/o slow as treacle, underperforming inside mid who still has injury concerns and the list manager wanted to sabotage his own career it may happen. Highly unlikely, but i agree there is a chance, albeit incredibly small.

Mitchell though? yeah nah.

As for the rest, not a chance

O'Meara, possibly, if a club was really desperate for a 27 y/o slow as treacle, underperforming inside mid who still has injury concerns and the list manager wanted to sabotage his own career it may happen. Highly unlikely, but i agree there is a chance, albeit incredibly small.

Mitchell though? yeah nah.

As for the rest, not a chance
before he got the hip injury O'Meara was having a career year. His kicking will never be the same but still had excellent pace and endurance and finally has enough belief in his body to the point where he's taken over as our main clearance player over Tom Mitchell.

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
before he got the hip injury O'Meara was having a career year. His kicking will never be the same but still had excellent pace and endurance and finally has enough belief in his body to the point where he's taken over as our main clearance player over Tom Mitchell.

He plays a couple of good games and then follows them up with average performances, at best. If his last two games are a demonstration of his belief in his body then I feel sorry for him, he's cooked.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
That and it’s the ‘well run’ clubs which are sharing the spoils.

Richmond now is. Carlton Aren’t.

every supporter of clubs from the ‘haven’t list’ is secretly aware I am right
Hawthorn haven’t always been a well run club as I am sure you a well aware. As you will remember the club went from a powerhouse to being the junior partner for in a merger within 5 years in the early ‘90’s.

It is highly unlikely that anything that dramatic will happen again, but it shows what can happen.

Well as the Suns were not able to get him on the park and he is now plying consistent footy and has done for a few years he probably isn’t regretting missing out on a

checks notes

14th place team...

Did you catch the score on the weekend? Who’s future do you think looks better right now?

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Did you catch the score on the weekend? Who’s future do you think looks better right now?
It is 5 years after he left. If he was disillusioned with Gold Coast 5 years ago imagine how much the last 4 years may have made it worse.
At least Hawthorn has been competitive in 3 of the years including a year of finals

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Did you catch the fact that he has actually had a career over the past few years, had a top 4 ladder finish, played finals.

Yeah we are s**t now and yeah the Suns have a better future at the moment but no i doubt he is wishing he stayed at the Suns.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a perfect example why the FA compensation is wrong IMO.

Hawthorn will finish 15-18 this year - "earning" a top-5 pick.

FA Compensation for losing a FA on say a 3yr, 600k = compensation pick after club's first round pick.

Would any club trade a top-5 pick for one of them? No - even a late 1st (15-20) is pushing it.

If Hawthorn 'knew' they were going to finish bottom 4 next year, it would be in their best interest to not re-sign any of their senior players - encourage them all to explore FA at end of 22 and "generate" multiple top-10 picks.

If Hawthorn stood to significantly benefit from the rort, it might almost be enough for the AFL to change the rules.

Are any of those guys even free agents? Mitchell and O'Meara aren't. The other two wouldn't trigger band 1 compo. Most likely band 3, band 2 at best.

Your lot squealed like stuck pigs about getting pick 18 for Franklin but that's the (stupid) system. Now is your opportunity to benefit from that system - if you have any free agents.

Are any of those guys even free agents? Mitchell and O'Meara aren't. The other two wouldn't trigger band 1 compo. Most likely band 3, band 2 at best.

Your lot squealed like stuck pigs about getting pick 18 for Franklin but that's the (stupid) system. Now is your opportunity to benefit from that system - if you have any free agents.

Sicily would net an end of first round compensation pick if he left at the end of next year as a free agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back