Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko knows he botched the Hawthorn list badly, and no doubt he wants to hang around one more year to have one last shot at leaving Hawthorn on a good note, rather than doing a Kevin Sheedy, who stayed too long and wouldn't let go.

I know Hawthorn fans still like to carry on about their promising youth, but the reality, they have nowhere near enough, and so many of their key players are still old farts.

Freo have been at it for 6 years now. They've drafted loads of quality youth, and made some pretty good trades along the way. But look at them, they're still nowhere near contending, and don't even look like a top 8 side. Hawthorn is literally MILES behind Fremantle in their list rebuild.

I think Hawthorn fans know that realistically they are going to be at the bottom of the ladder, or near it for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

What would wingard even be talking about there with Kozi? Any ideas hawks fans?? He’s a young man on the up. Not sure that’s the chat he needs.
There was an incident like just before that where Kossie brought his man into Wingards leading space and Wingard had a perfect lead and perfect kick intercepted through Kossie's opponent being lead to the footy with Kossie instead of clearing it or leading out the other side.

Happened a few times and there was probably more to it aswell but Kossie just looks like he needs a rest.

There was an incident like just before that where Kossie brought his man into Wingards leading space and Wingard had a perfect lead and perfect kick intercepted through Kossie's opponent being lead to the footy with Kossie instead of clearing it or leading out the other side.

Happened a few times and there was probably more to it aswell but Kossie just looks like he needs a rest.

Or learn to play tired. The season is nearly over.

He is a defender who has played 16 games forward. He will learn the craft of leading over time. Especially when our midfield functions.

We need Bradkil for some balance

I could write you a thesis on what a disaster this season has been both on and off the field for us…if only I was surprised at where we are currently at..

I had us bottom 3 pre-season and that was with our best possible 22…we’ve been decimated with injuries to key players all season, so finishing 17th or 18th is no surprise.

In saying that, I’ve been surprised from what I’ve seen from a few of our youngsters..if we can nail this draft and 2022 and 2023 when we finish bottom 4 both years, I feel we can be playing finals again come 2025.

I could write you a thesis on what a disaster this season has been both on and off the field for us…if only I was surprised at where we are currently at..

I had us bottom 3 pre-season and that was with our best possible 22…we’ve been decimated with injuries to key players all season, so finishing 17th or 18th is no surprise.

In saying that, I’ve been surprised from what I’ve seen from a few of our youngsters..if we can nail this draft and 2022 and 2023 when we finish bottom 4 both years, I feel we can be playing finals again come 2025.
Are there any whispers of trade targets this year or is it all about the draft

Are there any whispers of trade targets this year or is it all about the draft

All about the draft moving forward…Better late than never. Should have happened three years ago…

We also aren’t going to attract any gun free agents..in recent years when we were playing finals or pushing finals, we missed out on Tom lynch, coniglio and Shiel… we also don’t over pay for players like Carlton and we are a lock for the bottom 4 next year and a good chance the year after.

We may get a Pat Lipinski type, but no one that’s helping us take a big step in the coming years..

We need to get as many early picks as possible..we need to look at trading two of Tom mitchell, jaeger omera, Chad Wingard and Luke breust…we needed to trade Gunston last season…with his back injury, he’s not worth anything now.

I really feel for Wingard…he was sold a dream by Clarko but has been delivered a nightmare and it shows with how he plays and his demeanour. By all reports he really loves the club, but he isn’t playing a final with us. He should request a trade…imagine choosing us over the dogs who will be in premiership contention for the next 5 years..he would be the perfect player for them.

......................We need to get as many early picks as possible..we need to look at trading two of Tom mitchell, jaeger omera, Chad Wingard and Luke breust…we needed to trade Gunston last season…with his back injury, he’s not worth anything now......................
and that one sentence sums it all up, O'Meara and Wingard, paid way too much for players like that just as the Titanic was starting to sink. There's no early picks forthcoming in any of those players. It's a long way to the bottom for the Hawks

and that one sentence sums it all up, O'Meara and Wingard, paid way too much for players like that just as the Titanic was starting to sink. There's no early picks forthcoming in any of those players. It's a long way to the bottom for the Hawks

Correct…hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it..the Omera and Wingard trades were laughable at the time and are 100 x worse now..

If Adam Saad got the bombers pick 8, Mitchell would definitely get a first round pick. Don’t think he’s worth a top 10 though. 13-18 range.

Wingard would get a pick in the 15-20 range from a contender. In a decent side, he could be the difference in challenging for a flag.

Omera is far too inconsistent and would get a late second round pick at best.

Breust late second or early third from a contender. He won’t be traded though as he recently signed to finish his career at us.

We also have the pies second rounder which will be early 20s..if we can trade a Mitchell or Wingard type and package that up with one of our second round picks, we may be able to get another good first.. we have to be bold!!

Mitchell would, but I doubt we trade him.

Horne will look good in brown and gold too. Good Adelaide boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko knows he botched the Hawthorn list badly, and no doubt he wants to hang around one more year to have one last shot at leaving Hawthorn on a good note, rather than doing a Kevin Sheedy, who stayed too long and wouldn't let go.

I know Hawthorn fans still like to carry on about their promising youth, but the reality, they have nowhere near enough, and so many of their key players are still old farts.

Freo have been at it for 6 years now. They've drafted loads of quality youth, and made some pretty good trades along the way. But look at them, they're still nowhere near contending, and don't even look like a top 8 side. Hawthorn is literally MILES behind Fremantle in their list rebuild.
And your mob couldn't even knock us off last week with 6 of our best defenders missing. Pls.
Enjoy your straight sets finals exit this year.

‘I’m trying to be polite here…..utter crap mate

I think Hawthorn fans know that realistically they are going to be at the bottom of the ladder, or near it for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

Horne will help (assuming Hawthorn finish last). Much in the same way that Hodge did. Horne is the kind of player you can build a team around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back