Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

In rebuild stage your not having a 28 year old Wingard over a 21 year old Duursma and 24 year old Burton though are you?
What do you reckon Mitchell would rather?

I know for a fact he chooses Scrimshaw over Burton, who we got for massive unders when we paid overs for Wingard.

I also dont think we need another defender in Duursma vs a small forward/mid who we need badly.

Wingard may have 5 or 6 more years in him meaning he definitely plays finals.

I know for a fact he chooses Scrimshaw over Burton, who we got for massive unders when we paid overs for Wingard.

I also dont think we need another defender in Duursma vs a small forward/mid who we need badly.

I really don't get the kudos on Scrimshaw
He is a nice footballer gets a few possessions off half back but that's about it

I really don't get the kudos on Scrimshaw
He is a nice footballer gets a few possessions off half back but that's about it
Scrimshaw is Birchall but has a right peg (an elite one) and can mark very very well. Will be a super talent.

No he isn't. That is selling Birchall way short
Maybe not by production, maybe. But he shits on Birchalls talent and ability. Birchall was an elite left foot kick, had absolutely no right foot and couldn't intercept half as good. Was a pretty good defender and was good in the zone defense but Scrimshaw is a tall 193cm, dual sided elite by foot really good marking player who if we look at getting him in the guts, get him forward to use his hands and kicking inside 50 (time and space inside) and to get him to float back to help, he'll be a star.

Maybe not by production, maybe. But he shits on Birchalls talent and ability. Birchall was an elite left foot kick, had absolutely no right foot and couldn't intercept half as good. Was a pretty good defender and was good in the zone defense but Scrimshaw is a tall 193cm, dual sided elite by foot really good marking player who if we look at getting him in the guts, get him forward to use his hands and kicking inside 50 (time and space inside) and to get him to float back to help, he'll be a star.
I dont know where to start with this post holy s**t. Let me just say this then instead if i had to choose between birch and scrimshaw. Birch everyday you dont get line breaking half back flankers everyday of the week with skills like his and Birch was tough as nails

Edit: forgot to mention his durability birch hardly missed a game until his late career knee issue. He started as an 18 year old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know where to start with this post holy sh*t. Let me just say this then instead if i had to choose between birch and scrimshaw. Birch everyday you dont get line breaking half back flankers everyday of the week with skills like his and Birch was tough as nails

Edit: forgot to mention his durability birch hardly missed a game until his late career knee issue. He started as an 18 year old
Clearly. I’d give it to Birchall through production but ceiling and talent I’d take Scrimshaw, which means * all to be fair.

The answer has proven to be no.

Thankfully we have done the bare minimum and gone to the draft over the last few years, though we haven't exactly loaded up on picks like other teams.

Through some luck we have had a few extra second rounders over the last few seasons, thanks to a F/S (Maginess in 2019), NGA (Downie in 2020) and a trade (Butler in 2021).

Though in 2019 we didn't have our own second round pick anyway, so it's five second rounders over the last three drafts.

2019:
1st rounder - 13) Day
2nd rounder - 29) Maginess, F/S
4th rounder - 57) Morris
Rookie - 9) Jeka

2020:
1st rounder - 6) DGB
2nd rounder - 29) Mitchell
2nd rounder - 35) Downie, NGA
3rd rounder - 46) Brockman
Rookie - 4) Saunders

2021:
Supp. Draft - Bramble
MSD - 2) Newcombe
MSD - 17) Callow

1st rounder - 7) Ward
2nd rounder - 23) Butler
2nd rounder - 26) MacDonald
4th rounder- 53) Jai Serong
Rookie - 5) Ned Long

We need these first and second rounders to become quality players for us. Day has done that already thankfully.

In rebuild stage your not having a 28 year old Wingard over a 21 year old Duursma and 24 year old Burton though are you?
What do you reckon Mitchell would rather?
Burton hasn't come in leaps and bounds though has he. Is a solid role player with decent foot skills. That's his ceiling. By 24 you kinda know what your getting unless they play ruck or Key position which take a few more years potentially . He doesn't have the tricks or X factor Chad has. Isn't as versatile either. There's also the element of his personality which rubbed a few of the boys the wrong way and has shone through at times when asked about his trade to Port when discussing the Hawks. Put it this way we paid a price for Chad but it's not really hurting us ATM because his output has been better and will continue to be so. If he actually puts a whole season together like his last 6 weeks of 2021 watch the narrative change around the trade. It will be labelled a stroke of genius.

I’m coming to the opinion that success in list management could be as simple as being in the bottom six when there’s an abundance of ‘Generational talent’ in the early picks
OR
Picking when there’s a strong abundance of talent later in the draft and taking more than usual draftees. Obviously there’s the issue of prediction here, it could easily be wrong, or miss by a year. Especially hard in covid affected seasons

I still advocate taking mature talent every year if the deal is right. Premiership team usually are in the top average age bracket

I’m coming to the opinion that success in list management could be as simple as being in the bottom six when there’s an abundance of ‘Generational talent’ in the early picks
OR
Picking when there’s a strong abundance of talent later in the draft and taking more than usual draftees. Obviously there’s the issue of prediction here, it could easily be wrong, or miss by a year. Especially hard in covid affected seasons

I still advocate taking mature talent every year if the deal is right. Premiership team usually are in the top average age bracket
I’d say bottom 4

The top 4 live picks each year seem to be a level above heading into the draft

Laughable.

He's 29 this year and prone to soft tissue injuries since he's gotten to Hawthorn ( body now getting older), hasn't played a full AFL season since 2015 and you dead set think he'll play to 33-34?

Laughable.

He's 29 this year and prone to soft tissue injuries since he's gotten to Hawthorn ( body now getting older), hasn't played a full AFL season since 2015 and you dead set think he'll play to 33-34?
He'll play finals, because finals really aren't that far away. Flag not so sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back