Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be under-rating Richmond, certainly if they win another couple they will prove their worth, but for mine they are still a team that got 'lucky' by coming good at the right time.
After reading that I deleted all the waffle and will respond to this part. Lol.

As for the 2008 side, i'm not placing in them in the same bracket as the 3 pt one 5-7 years later. Bud the BOLDED Italic underlined quote of yours is exactly what the hawks 3 pt side copped. A weaker era due to the 2 new teams gobbling up the majority of the talent 2-5 years earlier. A fantastic achievement looking back on in history but in reality, all the other teams were at their weakest in years. If you cant see that then this is not worth even discussing.

Well I'm not sure what Essendon have to do with anything, but I seem to remember them beating Hawthorn convincingly and playing finals with the 2nd least experienced list in the league in 2019.

And they're going to get 2 BnF winners back into their lineup for 2020? Wowee, big room for improvement there.

'convincingly' what is the meaning of that for the rest of us?

As for the 2008 side, i'm not placing in them in the same bracket as the 3 pt one 5-7 years later. Bud the BOLDED Italic underlined quote of yours is exactly what the hawks 3 pt side copped. A weaker era due to the 2 new teams gobbling up the majority of the talent 2-5 years earlier. A fantastic achievement looking back on in history but in reality, all the other teams were at their weakest in years. If you cant see that then this is not worth even discussing.

the 'others' are weaker now

anyway its been done to death, but Hawks recruited 8 three time premiership players during that period in exactly the same drafts (and with inferior picks) as those poor inconvenienced teams who were supposed to overtake us but for the 'expansion teams' picks wah wah making it 'hard' for them

and given GWS only just made a frand final, gold coast never made finals, im wondering which players exactly could have helped other teams

Last edited:

So you're going to ignore the part of the post that specifically addresses your comment?

The 'weaker era' from the 2 new teams starts approximately 5 years after their entry (2011 + 5 = 2016), and stops about 8 years after the final concessions....obviously now extended further due to additional GC concessions.

Yeah everyone knew this too at the time.

E4DB0625-9C8F-4CBC-8DEF-EC15D2F95F7D.png E180C38C-1EC4-478B-BCB3-A94C4548505E.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the drafting of Day - who won't be AFL ready for at least 2 years - with their 1st rounder last night, it looks like Hawthorn have conceded that their next few years will be a 'reset period' before they try to go again with a better list. Smart really.

why trade patton in then? You make no sense. Try not to think of everything is like essendon. Most are light years
ahead

how come essendons first pick is 33? What have they ‘conceded’?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back