Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Your rucks crap all over ours? English is one of the youngest starting ruckman in the league and has as much upside and attributes as the leagues bug 3. It won’t be long at all until he fly’s past Ceglar. And how much elite footy has McEvoy got left? Bringing in rucks as a case against the dogs is a ridiculous comment.
English is only getting a game because the Dogs ruck stocks is close to the worst in the league. He is a promising young player that I think will develop in to a good player, but big men are far from a sure thing and acting like he is just going to casually reach the level of those big guys at the moment is laughable.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yo
Your rucks crap all over ours? English is one of the youngest starting ruckman in the league and has as much upside and attributes as the leagues bug 3. It won’t be long at all until he fly’s past Ceglar. And how much elite footy has McEvoy got left? Bringing in rucks as a case against the dogs is a ridiculous comment.
It's all potential ATM unless your a fortune teller you know just as much as anyone else how English is going to turn out. He is starting because he is your only genuine ruck on your list. How is it a ridiculous comment mate I'm talking about the here and now not in 5 years time. We also have a young ruck called Mark Pittonet who could be very good in 5 years time that's the point. He isn't playing because he has 2 better rucks in front of him. Your sprouting crap and hopeful thinking because you are another one of the armchair critics who want to see the demise of the Hawks.

Come on mate. Don't start that crap in here.
Not sure if you remember the game, but he has a point.

It was the game where Sicily was penalized in the goalsquare for Bodying his opponent.

It was disgusting.

Their system was flawless when they already did the draft hard yards for the core players... they don't have that anymore

Couldn’t agree more.

O’Brien - 2012 pick 28
Sicily - 2013 pick 56
Howe - 2014 pick 31
Hardwick - 2015 pick 44
Lewis - 2016 pick 76
Worpel - 2017 pick 45

source.gif

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn’t agree more.

O’Brien - 2012 pick 28
Sicily - 2013 pick 56
Howe - 2014 pick 31
Hardwick - 2015 pick 44
Lewis - 2016 pick 76
Worpel - 2017 pick 45

source.gif

I see one gun (Sicily) who is a fruitloop but also a very good player. Worpel is 1.5 years into his career anything can happen he has done F all really he needs to keep it up to be before we can call him a gun. Lewis has played 2 good games? The rest are list plodders and you are comparing them to the champion side you had? Tim O'brien being bragged about hahaha seriously?

I see one gun (Sicily) who is a fruitloop but also a very good player. Worpel is 1.5 years into his career anything can happen he has done F all really he needs to keep it up to be before we can call him a gun. Lewis has played 2 good games? The rest are list plodders and you are comparing them to the champion side you had? Tim O'brien being bragged about hahaha seriously?

O’Brien would be the Bulldogs second key forward.

Worpel was BOG against GWS.

Hardwick was runner-up in the B&F

Do try again.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
O’Brien would be the Bulldogs second key forward.

Worpel was BOG against GWS.

Hardwick was runner-up in the B&F

Do try again.
Read my comment.

You are comparing these blokes to the champions/dynasty you had which is disrespectful to that great team. These blokes arent even in the same sentence at the moment. Bragging about Tim O'brien is one of the most amazing things ive read on here

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apart from Bont who are your bonafide game breakers out of that lot?, they get a s**tload of footy alot of them but are they really that influential?, I'd back Mitchell, Worpedo, Jaeger, Cogs (if he comes), Wingard and Shiels over your mids. If your going to throw in Hunter may as well put Scully and Henderson. Where are you blokes on the ladder I forgot was it top 4? Because your blowing your trumpet like the Dogs are miles better than us and their clearly not.
Apart from the 23 year old Bont ? Our game breakers are 24 year old Macrae. 21 year old Dunkley. 23 year old Hunter (On his day) the 18 year old Bailey Smith goes okay. And JJ can break games apart. Not to mention a truck load of salary cap space to to complement the team. Exciting times ahead 👌🏼

Not sure if you remember the game, but he has a point.

It was the game where Sicily was penalized in the goalsquare for Bodying his opponent.

It was disgusting.
I remember the game. But let's not go there with the ride you've had in the past. Remember a game against St.Kilda in Tassie??

Umpire bashing is tedious. They're poor across the board so accept every team will be on the receiving end of poor decisions.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
2014 and 2015 flags had 3 players we drafted with top 10 picks. 3 out of the best 22 (Lewis, Hodge, Roughy). Only one of those (Roughead) did we get with our picks for finishing low down, the other two picks were traded in. The other 19 players came from either picks after 10 or players drafted in.

You really believe you can't find 3 elite players from trading instead of languishing at the bottom of the ladder? What do you think the point of Mitchell, Wingard and O'Meara was? We'll continue to try to get good players late in the draft, and continue to trade out of the first round of the draft because - while some other clubs are finally cottoning on - still there are enough clubs that overvalue first round picks enough for us to continue to bring in quality players while sending out speculative draft picks.

Very narrow description of “elite”. As I wrote in the OP, what’s remarkable is Hawthorn’s wholesale trading out of all first and second round picks... not just the top 10.

Players like Rioli, Mitchell, Shiels and Birchall were all top 40 picks. There’s no doubt the core of those great teams came through the draft, that’s whats interesting about this complete turnaround in approach.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
English is only getting a game because the Dogs ruck stocks is close to the worst in the league. He is a promising young player that I think will develop in to a good player, but big men are far from a sure thing and acting like he is just going to casually reach the level of those big guys at the moment is laughable.
Nah geelongs stocks are woeful

Would take English in a heartbeat

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The inconsistency is what you see when a team is going through a transition, whether they are young or old you need time to gel.

Only 7 players last night played in the 2015 flag.

Another thing is that under Clarko none of our mature recruits have played their best footy first up but all have ended up playing career best footy eventually.

That suggests it takes time for even proven guns to adjust to a new team.

I remember the game. But let's not go there with the ride you've had in the past. Remember a game against St.Kilda in Tassie??

Umpire bashing is tedious. They're poor across the board so accept every team will be on the receiving end of poor decisions.
Oh don’t worry, I don’t go for umpire conspiracies but in that particular game that decision 100% cost us a win, and it’s a call that’s never been made prior or since.

I remember that one.

Everyone remembers 2 dubious frees the Hawks got, one of which led to a goal. No-one remembers the 8 yard kick marked by the Saints that led to a goal.

This was apparently enough to get all of Bigfooty screaming about continuous Hawthorn favouritism, despite the fact that we are mysteriously at the very bootom of the free kicks ledger for the past 15 years.

Go figure.

Oh don’t worry, I don’t go for umpire conspiracies but in that particular game that decision 100% cost us a win, and it’s a call that’s never been made prior or since.
Na, what cost you the win was your inability to kick a bigger score than the opposition. ;)

I remember that one.

Everyone remembers 2 dubious frees the Hawks got, one of which led to a goal. No-one remembers the 8 yard kick marked by the Saints that led to a goal.

This was apparently enough to get all of Bigfooty screaming about continuous Hawthorn favouritism, despite the fact that we are mysteriously at the very bootom of the free kicks ledger for the past 15 years.

Go figure.
It was more than two.

Na, what cost you the win was your inability to kick a bigger score than the opposition. ;)
Well, considering the ball was taken off us as we were about to seal the game, yeah...

Well, considering the ball was taken off us as we were about to seal the game, yeah...
Anyway back to the topic of the thread. When's Walker getting a game. I like the the kid a lot.

Anyway back to the topic of the thread. When's Walker getting a game. I like the the kid a lot.
Maybe not this year..... he pulled this one of out of nowhere today.

It was more than two.
Name them.

There was one kick NOT paid to the Saints in our forward line (not 15) that led to a Hawthorn goal.

There was an 8 metre kick psaid to the Saints that gave them a goal.

Then there were the usual 50/50s that went each way, but people's confirmation bias made them sit upright at every one that went Hawthorn's way (te same way every one remembers the car when a Volvo cuts you off, but not any other)

The hysteria was ridiculous.

Maybe not this year..... he pulled this one of out of nowhere today.

Can play. I follow all indigenous kids across all teams and this kid has some serious talent.

Can play. I follow all indigenous kids across all teams and this kid has some serious talent.
Yes, he’s got some X factor about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back