Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think this year that he has mainly wanted low scoring pressure games.

This year we had no real forward structure, so he set up low scoring pressure games. You can be sure that with a better forward line you would see a lot more goals being kicked.

We are a couple of goals a game average behind the last couple of years, and about half a dozen goals a game behind our average from 2008 to 2015.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
This year we had no real forward structure, so he set up low scoring pressure games.

Yes adapted his gameplan for the players and quality that he had available. I don't think it was just the forwards though and was more based on the whole team and who is available.

Last edited:

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
In Geelong's 3 premierships they had 17 All Austrlian's :huh:

Hawthorn in their 3 premierships from 2013-2015 had 8 :rolleyes:

And Hawthorn were more dominant remembering Geelong were most dominant in 07 and 08 (non premiership year).

Geelong had 7 AA's in 2008 to Hawthorns 2 and Geelong had 6 AA's in 2010 to Hawthorns 2.

Geelong were a team of stat padding whores though.
Isn't AA named prior to the end of the season? Geelong were a more dominant regular season side over that period so it's perfectly reasonable they had more AAs.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that Carlton have landed Coniglio, where does that leave hawthorn in its quest to bolster its midfield?
It's a good question. I guess they might consider another down year to stock up and then go again for Whitfield next year.

It's a bit of a concern that their better targets keep spurning them. There are only so many broken down players like Scully you can pick up.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Now that Carlton have landed Coniglio, where does that leave hawthorn in its quest to bolster its midfield?
Less concerned than a couple of months ago with the emergence of Worpel and Wingard looking good as a mid over the last month.
Coniglio would still be very handy though

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Less concerned than a couple of months ago with the emergence of Worpel and Wingard looking good as a mid over the last month.
Coniglio would still be very handy though

Not only Worpel/Wingard improving, but Mitchell comes back in 2020 and it is looking like we'll grab Finn who is also an inside mid in this years draft...

I'd love Cogs, obviously, but he isn't as much of a 'need' as he was at the start of 2019.

I would think that the need to get another 'A grade' midfielder is somewhat diminished, and the focus will be on a Frawley replacement.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn supporters have started backpedaling on Cogs very quickly.
improvise, adapt, overcome!
Though I'm not convinced that he's locked and loaded to head to Carlton, I think we have the systems/talent in place to compensate for us not gaining him. I'm still thinking we could end up going quite hard into the draft this year, and I think that'll be more likely if Cogs heads to Carlton or stays a Giant.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hawthorn supporters have started backpedaling on Cogs very quickly.
Would be great to get him and would push our midfield into the top group. Not convinced he is locked to go anywhere yet either.
But from a couple of months ago to now I think the need in the midfield is less than in other areas in the team

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
If we can continue to draft and develop young players like Worpel and Lewis with late picks, and steal undervalued talent like Scrimshaw then we have a chance.

The odds are against us though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back