Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Hawthorn did have a great little run there. I'm sure you'll love reminiscing about it over the next 4/5 years while Hawthorn struggle to be competitive. But I'm all about living in the present and looking towards future and not dwelling on the past. I'm all about creating new memories and experiences.

I can't blame you for not dwelling on the past Jab, keep projecting your 'humble' opinion one day it may materialize.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The funny thing is not many are dissing the Hawks. We are just stating reality that they are behind a few other teams right now and not likely to contend in the immediate future, and it seems only Hawthorn fans disagree from this prediction or view.

That's when we often here the "jelousy", "rent free", "Hawthorn/Clarko are the greatest" stories.
Tell you what’s funnier. Coming from a Tigers supporter. The laughing stock and crap for 4 decades, close to sacking their coach in 2016, win it 2017 and you are adamant about reality and the immediate future. Going into 2017 Tigers would have been behind Hawthorn to contend. Absolutely crazy s##t, hilarious stuff on here when we are not that far off it with significant improvement left.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tell you what’s funnier. Coming from a Tigers supporter. The laughing stock and crap for 4 decades, close to sacking their coach in 2016, win it 2017 and you are adamant about reality and the immediate future. Going into 2017 Tigers would have been behind Hawthorn to contend. Absolutely crazy s##t, hilarious stuff on here when we are not that far off it with significant improvement left.
It's not 2015 anymore. Goodluck in 2020 I'm sure Hawthorn are a lock for top 4 and flags for the next few years with all this significant improvement because you are currently "not far off it".

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not 2015 anymore. Goodluck in 2020 I'm sure Hawthorn are a lock for top 4 and flags for the next few years with all this significant improvement because you are currently "not far off it".
Difference between the best and the 12th best side is the closest it has ever been. If you disagree with and know more than Clarko good for you!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Difference between the best and the 12th best side is the closest it has ever been. If you disagree with and know more than Clarko good for you!
Hawks are a lock for top 4 and flags, probably at least 2 in the next 4 years. Clarkson is a good chance of orchestrating this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks are a lock for top 4 and flags, probably at least 2 in the next 4 years. Clarkson is a good chance of orchestrating this.
Many Tigers supporters have got their heads so far up their arses, I imagine they think they are locked in for top 4 this year! Couldn’t see WC, GWS, Pies, BL, Doggies .... pushing them out. No chance right? Tigers are invincible!

Pretty sure most Hawk fans on here are not claiming top 4 this year and will win a premiership in the next 4 years are locked in. You are just making things up.

However I like many other Hawk fans are confident and optimistic that in the next few years the group of players assembled are quality and will put them in a position to challenge for silverware again. Once you get into a prelim/GF expect the unexpected like in 2008, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Teams not expected to win it got up and surprised.

If Hawks do not make top 4 or a prelim/GF over the next 2-4 years then obviously the recent rebuild/transition has not worked.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Many Tigers supporters have got their heads so far up their arses, I imagine they think they are locked in for top 4 this year! Couldn’t see WC, GWS, Pies, BL, Doggies .... pushing them out. No chance right? Tigers are invincible!
I'm pretty realistic on the Tigers.
We have 1, possibly 2 years at a stretch pending trades, FA, etc (2021) to challenge for another flag with this core, before we will need to rejuvenite/rebuild the list. That could equal a complete bomb missing finals or just mid table battlers when the decline comes. By 2022 I very much doubt we are still the best team in it, in fact I'd say with almost certainly we won't be.

Nothing invincible about us, but when you win the GF by 89 points it's a fair indication that top 4 is on the cards the following season. Perhaps you are predicting we don't finish top 4 which is fine if you want to put that on record. I'd be surprised if we don't challenge in 2020 however and aren't one of the 4 favourites going in to September.

Regardless, the flag will come from one of the following 6 teams
Eagles, Giants, Tigers, Magpies, Bulldogs, Lions.

FWIW my 2020 flag tip is the Eagles, and if I had to have a second I would say the Giants.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Pretty sure most Hawk fans on here are not claiming top 4 this year and will win a premiership in the next 4 years are locked in. You are just making things up.
The entire premise of this thread is will this strategy succeed and bring success. Hawks fans are saying yes, and within a few years, citing the genius of Clarkson often as the reason.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
The entire premise of this thread is will this strategy succeed and bring success. Hawks fans are saying yes, and within a few years, citing the genius of Clarkson often as the reason.
Well if you ignore the obvious s**t flinging comments the majority aren’t claiming that it will succeed, simply that it can succeed.

the majority believe that we can build a list that will give us a shot at a flag over the next few years, premierships are bloody tough to win even if you build a good enough list you need some luck.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Just like all those Hawks fans who disagreed and knew more than him when he said you were a middle of the road side

This time opposition teams will have to contend with Mitchell, Patton and Frost, whilst Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw will be fitter then last year, better seasons expected from Gunston, Breust, Sicily and O’Meara.

Worpel and Lewis haven’t even scratched the surface yet, plus a whole lot of other stuff. :$:thumbsu:

They will stagnate until Clarko is sacked. Need a complete rebuild from the ground up. Their entire core other than Tom Mitchell is over 30.

Wrong on so many levels.

Lewis 21
Mitchell 26
Impey 23
Worpel 21
Sicily 24
Frost 26
O’Meara 25
Scrimshaw 21
Hardwick 22
Ceglar 28
Gunston 28