Can I get back into playing after years away from it?

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thread starter #1
Gday I’m 20 and thinking about looking at playing some local footy next year. I played juniors only up till year 8. I feel like I had above average skill and game smarts but I was severely underweight and couldn’t keep up so got into soccer and was quite good. This past year and a half I’ve hit in the gym gone from 67-87kg at around 17% bf 6”1 and coincidentally rediscovering my love for the game I was brought up with. If I spend this year getting my fitness up what’s the chances I’ll be able to have a crack at getting at least in the 2’s somewhere or have I missed the boat. Appreciate any replies cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
You will be fine to go down to a club and have a kid.

It would have probably been better to have gotten down in pre season, but there is no reason you couldn't get down to a club now. Train for 3-4 weeks, have a run in the 2's and see where that goes.

Might be a good idea to look at a lower division club to start off with

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Gday I’m 20 and thinking about looking at playing some local footy next year. I played juniors only up till year 8. I feel like I had above average skill and game smarts but I was severely underweight and couldn’t keep up so got into soccer and was quite good. This past year and a half I’ve hit in the gym gone from 67-87kg at around 17% bf 6”1 and coincidentally rediscovering my love for the game I was brought up with. If I spend this year getting my fitness up what’s the chances I’ll be able to have a crack at getting at least in the 2’s somewhere or have I missed the boat. Appreciate any replies cheers
You're 20 years old, Young as ****. Have a crack not just this year and next, but the next several years after that as well. At the very least you're doing what you love.

Get into it. Step by step.........

Allikat

Aunty Allikat
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Moderator #5
You will be fine to go down to a club and have a kid.
I'd suggest going down to a club and having a kick instead.

I did this last year. Hadn't played footy for a very very long time. Last played when I was 14 and because I'm a girl there were no pathways to play after that. Got back into it last year, but made sure I was there day 1 of pre-season because I didn't have the fitness behind me. Ended up playing seniors.

The worst you can do is try. If you're fit and dedicated and not completely uncoordinated there'd definitely be a 2's team that could use you.

megatiger

Team Captain
AFL Club
Richmond
Here's a question, after not playing AFL for a team since 10 because of living abroad reasons played rugby basketball but suddenly 35 and done jack nothing puffed out running 100 metres, is there any coming back?

Aeglos

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Here's a question, after not playing AFL for a team since 10 because of living abroad reasons played rugby basketball but suddenly 35 and done jack nothing puffed out running 100 metres, is there any coming back?
If some 40+ year old bloke can play a full game in the 2s then 1s at Thornton-Eildon on a Saturday (the poor bloke lost by a cumulative 500 points when he played us last year) then back up for Marysville vets the next day you should be fine

AFL Club
Richmond
If some 40+ year old bloke can play a full game in the 2s then 1s at Thornton-Eildon on a Saturday (the poor bloke lost by a cumulative 500 points when he played us last year) then back up for Marysville vets the next day you should be fine
if I could run 100 metres without needing an inhaler and then a cigarette I'd agree with u lol

Top Bottom