Can Jon Ceglar be the #1 ruck in a premiership team?

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope he has a massive 6 weeks and nets us an early second round pick or a pick upgrade on our first.

Will be 29 at the start of next season and isn't the long term option for me. Big Boy has a couple of years left whilst we sort that out.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought he'd be monstered by Mummy/Dawson last night.

Absolutely took it up to the big mutts, grabbing it out of the ruck all night.

sneaky bump.

Think Jon Ceglar is really going to be an interesting one to watch at the end of this year/off season.

1. He's well and truly good enough to play as a #1 OR #2 ruckman at AFL level. There would be many teams interested.

2. He hasn't been getting super-consistent senior games despite quite strong performances at AFL level to date this year.

3. I reckon it's fair to say that Mcevoy/Ceglar haven't proven to be the dream ruck combination at AFL level, for whatever reasons that may be.

cheesydave

Draftee
Nov 8, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need a backup for McEvoy and we're not going to seduce a star, just to play them in the 2s. Ceglar is an important cog in our list who was hard done by with changing interchange rules.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need a backup for McEvoy and we're not going to seduce a star, just to play them in the 2s. Ceglar is an important cog in our list who was hard done by with changing interchange rules.
i feel he's too good to be playing in the 2s. But by the same token, I'm not sure if Macca/Cegs is a very good ruck combination. Blokes 29 next season, hardly reckon playing in the 2s is what he'd be wanting after finally reaching career best form.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
He's been a very good role player as the backup ruckman essentially for his whole time at Hawthorn. I would be more than happy to hold onto him merely to keep playing that role

Having said that, if a club comes along with a good offer and Jon wants to be the number 1 somewhere else, I wouldn't be overly stressed. Leaves us a bit thin for ruckmen but Jon is more than capable of being the first choice big man at the right club

Don’t think he’s the player you’d hitch your hopes of a premiership to, but I think he’s definitely good enough to be a serviceable #1 ruck somewhere. I mean hell, did you see what he did to GWS’ ‘best’ 2 rucks last night?

He’s a huge upgrade on them, for starters.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t think he’s the player you’d hitch your hopes of a premiership to, but I think he’s definitely good enough to be a serviceable #1 ruck somewhere. I mean hell, did you see what he did to GWS’ ‘best’ 2 rucks last night?

He’s a huge upgrade on them, for starters.
A club like Geelong for example, who have pushed/are pushing for a premiership but have weaknesses, one of which is in the ruck department, would surely want Ceglar to be their main ruckman.

GWS certainly would be looking for new ruckman, and cegs had a solid interview last night. What if cegs was included in a trade for say Bonar or someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep him.

we need a back up to big boy he stays on list
He’s 29 mate - this is his chance to make career money for the next 3 years.

It isn’t that we want him to go, it’s that he needs to go for his own career

Back