Can Kennedy break the eagles goal scoring record

Remove this Banner Ad

For some reason never trusted him fully as a kick. Not sure if that was because he was a lefty or not...
That's because he was generally a pretty s**t kick at goal, especially between about 15-40 metres out

Had a massive hook on his kicks and was notoriously unreliable from 30m out straight in front. Put him on the boundary 50m out and he was almost automatic

On today's game he'd be a better CHF than a FF - leading up the ground then using that left cannon to deliver the ball deep forward. And as I said he was a great kick at goal from outside 50

Im a Suma fan and loved that he had a secret deal of $100 per goal on the side with the club that the other players didnt know about. But he played in a time where he only had to beat his man one out. I remember the furore in the early 90's when in a Essendon v StKilda game Sheedy...wait for it...get this...he double teamed Lockett. It was unheard of.

CHF's then were getting the goal tallies of FF's in todays game. I think JK's accuracy and ability to take advantage of an opportunity is greater than Sumich's ability.
That Eagles team were dominant and he had numerous opportunities to kick bags as evident by his 1991 total of 111 Goals and 89 Points. 200 shots at goal.

So kennedy is 5 cm's taller, a 6-7 better reach. Faster on the lead and a much better kick for goal. If he was playing for us in the early 90's he would have had numbers to rival lockett, dunstall, ablett etc. etc.

That's because he was generally a pretty s**t kick at goal, especially between about 15-40 metres out

Had a massive hook on his kicks and was notoriously unreliable from 30m out straight in front. Put him on the boundary 50m out and he was almost automatic

On today's game he'd be a better CHF than a FF - leading up the ground then using that left cannon to deliver the ball deep forward. And as I said he was a great kick at goal from outside 50
A trait that the Q stick specialized in later on

Love both players but I think it can't be said that if JK played in Sumas era he would necessarily be better, yes the game was more open but it also didn't have the professionalism and sports science behind it that it does now. Guys were having beers after games, diets were different, training was different, it was a different world. If Suma was playing now his body would have been managed better, he would have trained differently and the team would be structured around him just as it is around JK. Two different players from two totally different eras; both legends of the club that don't deserve comparison as there's so many differences between 2016 and 1991.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back