Can Khawaja bat at 5 or 6 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

you never say never with khawaja, but he is 33 and not getting any younger.

his best bet is clearly taking burn's spot.

the other options are if warner retires although they may decide on a younger player (bancroft, harris, renshaw or someone untried at the top level).

other option could be if marnus gets injured or smith gets injured and marnus bats @ 4, with usman @ 3. i doubt we'd mess with marnus with his current form etc.

i still think he is in our best 6 batsman but his ship may well have sailed as 3 of the 4 spots are sewn up.

can't see usman getting back batting 5,6 etc.

As mentioned, more likely at opener but I think could go well at 5 or 6.
However I think Cameron Green may well get the other middle order spot if it opens up by the end of our summer. The ACB love an all rounder and that kid is an absolute start of the future. If he continues his tradjectory this shield season and Head or Wade dont fair well, I reckon we will see him make a debut.

Personally I feel with Smith, Marnus, and Warner we have enough foundation in our lineup to begin investing in a youngster, rather than going back to Khawaja.

we've never liked to invest in a youngster for the test team. Thats why S.Marsh kept getting the game,

If Usman is in form, tearing it up in the shield then i can see him getting a gig. But his form recently hasn't been great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Green averaging 44 with the bat and 22 with the ball after 15 matches.

I wouldn't be looking to pick him until he has proven he is fit enough to bowl without breaking down but you can't exactly do much more than that to start your career.

I’d like to see him back it up before throwing him in to the test side. No doubt that he is the most promising talent we have but let him do it again even if it’s just for the first half of the shield season

I’d like to see him back it up before throwing him in to the test side. No doubt that he is the most promising talent we have but let him do it again even if it’s just for the first half of the shield season

Spot on. I hate the idea of picking someone on the back of a purple patch at the start of their career. They will inevitably be worked out/ go through a form slump and having to figure all that out playing test cricket and come out the other side while having all eyes on them would be daunting. Renshaw is the most recent example of that.

Last edited:
Cameron Green averaging 44 with the bat and 22 with the ball after 15 matches.

I wouldn't be looking to pick him until he has proven he is fit enough to bowl without breaking down but you can't exactly do much more than that to start your career.

Green looks the real deal, but want to see a little more cricket under his belt.

we picked cartwright averaging 50 on the above sample size and jumped the gun , now he averages mid 30's.

I can only see him with a possible opportunity with opening now, this is after Joe Burns doesn't deliver & there is no rookie to be elevated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back